Charging port

I have recently got my brand new MG4 Trophy, i definitely like the changes to the Phase 2 over the Phase 1.
However i noticed something strange
when charging, the charging port in the phase 1 loan car i drove had 7 pins but my new 1 has only 5 pins, can anyone explain because the dealership has been no help
InCollage_20230911_115855625.jpg

AIUI the two extra pins would allow you to charge use 3 phase AC supplies. That option now appears to have been removed on MY23 versions.
I think that has been mentioned elsewhere, my MY2022 trophy will charge at around 10-11kw on a 3 phase AC charger when using the heavier 3 phase cable.

Don't know why but mg seem to be giving us the lowest spec'd trophies on the planet. The European versions get 3 phase charging, one pedal driving, rear wiper and a heat pump. In a perfect world I'd have a rhd phase 1 euro spec trophy but that's pie in the sky!

So ok stupid question, does this effect my charging in anyway, my apologies im still new to the EV world. Is this an improvement ? Im assuming my car still charges the same
If you charge from home 95% of the time then it's no issue. If you would be able to take advantage of 22kW 3 phase charging often then the speed difference would be a genuine hurt

Don't know why but mg seem to be giving us the lowest spec'd trophies on the planet. The European versions get 3 phase charging, one pedal driving, rear wiper and a heat pump. In a perfect world I'd have a rhd phase 1 euro spec trophy but that's pie in the sky!
Mine has the 1 pedal driving , and rear wiper, ive read that they say we don't need the heat pump in the UK 🤷🏻‍♀️ my e-208 had one so i guess i shall see the difference this winter

If you charge from home 95% of the time then it's no issue. If you would be able to take advantage of 22kW 3 phase charging often then the speed difference would be a genuine hurt
Thanks for this, im not happy with this as MG never told me this, i wondered why mine was charging slower than the loan car last week. Im confused anyway as it says mine should charge 11kw AC (im still learning) so to charge slower than 6kw on a 22kw seem very annoying and pointless.

Most homes in the UK are single phase so no need for 3 phase charger on board.
If you need a quicker charge use a Rapid charger.

Most homes in the UK are single phase so no need for 3 phase charger on board.
If you need a quicker charge use a Rapid charger.
And....Not really the answer is it, i want to make the most out of the charging at my training facility which has 22kw charges, bit of a downgrade if models could do it before now its been taken away

And....Not really the answer is it, i want to make the most out of the charging at my training facility which has 22kw charges, bit of a downgrade if models could do it before now its been taken away
The 4 has never been able to charge at 22kw, it was only ever advertised as being able to charge at 7kw AC, for some reason the first phase cars all came with 11kw capability even though the weren't supposed to

Right from the very start the MG published specification for the UK MG4s was single phase 7kW AC charging. As it happens the phase 1 LR models came with 3-phase 11kW AC charging "in error". All that's happened is that they've reverted the Phase 2 cars to the original charging specification. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: as per above too, but SR cars have always been 7kW.

I don't think it was a mistake and I know for certain the Australian spec'd vehicles are advertised as 11kw 3 phase

I don't think it was a mistake and I know for certain the Australian spec'd vehicles are advertised as 11kw 3 phase
If it wasn't a mistake then it was all they had in the parts bin at the time because as has been said it was never advertised as having anything more than 7kw AC capability

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back