Charging problems MG EV

JoLawther

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi.
Has anyone ever had problems with charging their EV at home? My car is about 13 months old and started to be a bit problematic. When I try to charge it, it works for about 10 mins, then goes off. I have to then unlock the car and relock it, it charges again for 10 mins and goes off again. I’ve tried a brand new cable and the same thing happens, but when my husband uses the same point for his car Mitsubishi hybrid, it works fine. To make things more complicated, my car charged fine overnight at the garage. Any thoughts would be greatly received. Thanks

My car is about the same age (Jan 2020) and I've not had any problems like that. If it charges ok at the garage I'd suggest you might have a fault with your home charger. The obvious things to check is that it chargers for longer than 10 minuets on a granny lead (although at under 3kW it is half the speed of home charger), and a public 7kW public charge post. If charging at the garage, Granny Charge Lead and Public 7kW post all charge longer then I'd say its your Home Charger or its Type 2 Lead. You didn't say if your Home Charger is Tethered, if it isn't and Public Charge and Home charger drop out then suspect your Type 2 Lead. Hopes that helps.

Yes - it’s really a process of elimination - by trial and error so that you can rule out a faulty wall charger, cable, any car issue etc 🙂

Hi.
Has anyone ever had problems with charging their EV at home? My car is about 13 months old and started to be a bit problematic. When I try to charge it, it works for about 10 mins, then goes off. I have to then unlock the car and relock it, it charges again for 10 mins and goes off again. I’ve tried a brand new cable and the same thing happens, but when my husband uses the same point for his car Mitsubishi hybrid, it works fine. To make things more complicated, my car charged fine overnight at the garage. Any thoughts would be greatly received. Thanks
Hi. Would it be my home charging point, even if it’s working fine for my husband’s car? Would you mind confirming what the granny lead is? Sorry I’m new to the tech. The home charger is a ROLEC connected to the mains. Not sure what you mean by tethered. Thanks

Granny charger is what most people call the charging lead with 3 pin 13Amp plug on it which MG we'll have supplied with your car. It's called a granny charger because it charges very slowly about 2.4 kW.

Granny charger is what most people call the charging lead with 3 pin 13Amp plug on it which MG we'll have supplied with your car. It's called a granny charger because it charges very slowly about 2.4 kW.
Thanks. I didn’t actually get a 3 pin plug granny charger but got the type 2? I’ve also just bought a brand new one and it’s doing exactly the same with that. So odd that the same charging point is working for my husbands car. That’s the bit I can’t get my head around. Thanks again though

Going to sound silly but you don't have a wireless home plugs as that caused problems with us charging had to disable the home plugs to charge the car

Hi Jo - strangely enough, our households appear to have the same cars! ;) I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (plug in hybrid) and my wife has the ZS EV!

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I suddenly had an issue where the ZS EV wouldn't charge on my home wallbox (Pod Point) although it did charge when plugged into the 'Granny Charger' so I contacted Pod Point and they found that they had put incorrect details in when they installed my wallbox and the charger had initiated the energy clamps to prevent overloading the house circuit.

I'd suggest contacting ROLEC - they may have done something similar.

By the way, a 'tethered' cable is where there's a cable permanently attached to the charger. An 'untethered' is where there's no cable attached and you have to plug in your own cable. My car uses the Type 1 plug whilst the ZS EV uses the type 2, so I have an untethered wallbox and I plug in my own cable for each car.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Your husband’s Mitsubishi should also have been supplied with a granny charger. Mitsubishi called it an emergency charging cable.
Thanks. We’ve tried that but sadly his connection doesn’t fit. I might ask the garage to see if I can borrow one of theirs though. It’s worth a try!

Hi Jo - strangely enough, our households appear to have the same cars! ;) I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (plug in hybrid) and my wife has the ZS EV!

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I suddenly had an issue where the ZS EV wouldn't charge on my home wallbox (Pod Point) although it did charge when plugged into the 'Granny Charger' so I contacted Pod Point and they found that they had put incorrect details in when they installed my wallbox and the charger had initiated the energy clamps to prevent overloading the house circuit.

I'd suggest contacting ROLEC - they may have done something similar.

By the way, a 'tethered' cable is where there's a cable permanently attached to the charger. An 'untethered' is where there's no cable attached and you have to plug in your own cable. My car uses the Type 1 plug whilst the ZS EV uses the type 2, so I have an untethered wallbox and I plug in my own cable for each car.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks so much. Did your problem happen all of a sudden? We’ve both been using the same box for the last 13 months, my husband’s been using it even longer. Thanks also for the description on tethered. Ours are both untethered. Thanks again

Going to sound silly but you don't have a wireless home plugs as that caused problems with us charging had to disable the home plugs to charge the car
Well actually we did buy a wifi booster a few weeks ago, before that we had TP link that changed the electrical sockets into internet cables. This has been in place for months and it worked fine, but we bought another and plugged in a WiFi booster too. I’ve disconnected the WiFi booster, and reset the ROLEC. Just need to go for a drive and let the charge go down to see if it works. If it doesn’t, I’ll disconnect the lot and try again. Thanks again !

Thanks so much. Did your problem happen all of a sudden? We’ve both been using the same box for the last 13 months, my husband’s been using it even longer. Thanks also for the description on tethered. Ours are both untethered. Thanks again

Yeah - it had been working with no problems and one day, out of the blue, it just didn't charge!

To be honest, I'm sceptical about Pod Point's explanation as I put the car on charge around 11pm and there wasn't anything drawing a great amount of power but obviously, something caused the wallbox to put on it's brakes! :rolleyes: After a quick chat with Pod Point, they remotely adjusted the settings (or reset it) but within 5 mins, I was back up and running and it's been fine ever since.

I don't suppose you have any friends / relatives nearby who have the same car or if maybe one of the members are in your area, then you could try another type 2 cable to your wallbox and/or a granny charger for your car?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Have you checked under your boot floor in the ZS? I'm pretty sure the "granny" charger is the only one provided usually and they all have them.

Thanks. I didn’t actually get a 3 pin plug granny charger but got the type 2? I’ve also just bought a brand new one and it’s doing exactly the same with that. So odd that the same charging point is working for my husbands car. That’s the bit I can’t get my head around. Thanks again though
First time I heard a ZS EV owner doesn't get the granny charger, maybe you can ask your dealership and request one for free.

You should have received a Granny charger if car purchased new, it is standard equipment for UK version. Some Dealers supplied a Type 2 as well but it was not standard equipment.

Hi.
Has anyone ever had problems with charging their EV at home? My car is about 13 months old and started to be a bit problematic. When I try to charge it, it works for about 10 mins, then goes off. I have to then unlock the car and relock it, it charges again for 10 mins and goes off again. I’ve tried a brand new cable and the same thing happens, but when my husband uses the same point for his car Mitsubishi hybrid, it works fine. To make things more complicated, my car charged fine overnight at the garage. Any thoughts would be greatly received. Thanks x

Hi.
I have had similar. it will charge fine for a period and then I will get this stop/start for a week or so and then it will go back to being OK.
Still trying to suss out why and eliminate possibilities.
Had the supplier/installer out but not much they can do unless they can witness it.
I suspect the tethered cable as car has no problems elsewhere, fast or rapid.

Hi.
Funny you should ask. I've had serious problems with both the ZS and the Rolex charger. The Rolex has had problems dropping out from the ev.energy app and has had the modem replaced twice. I'm still not sure if that's fixed because it won't charge the car. The installer can't just fit a replacement from stock because all parts have to be individually ordered. Bonkers. He came 30 odd miles, found he had the wrong part and drove away again.

As for the car. It wouldn't charge so I assumed it was the charger not working as per usual. So I checked using the granny charger to be sure, which worked fine. I then travelled to Kent to visit family, went to charge to come home and it wouldn't charge. Tried 3 separate public chargers in Thanet all to no avail. The AA brought us home on the back of a flatbed. Whilst waiting for the AA I spoke to someone in an ID3 using the charger that I'd tried. Same thing had happened to her! She'd been stuck in Manchester. VW actually replaced her car. I took the car Gun Hopkin, who reinstalled the software and said it now charged. Brought it home. Still won't charge and my Rolec still not fixed. Goes in again Tuesday. Nightmare!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom