BeardedZs

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Quick question, how often do you charge your car? We only have a granny charger so far (outdoor socket, wired directly into our consumer unit) and it charges around 15% each night during the cheap rate 5 hour slot. This means several consecutive nights to get the battery to 80%. If we have no long journeys planned is it best to top the batteries up each night or run them down to around 30% and then top it right up? Does it matter?

Thanks for any advice.

You will get all sorts of replies about this but just don't leave it at 100% for any length of time. You will need to battery balance by charging it to 100% on an AV type2 and leaving to continue to charge and balance every now and again especially if you rapid charge a lot.

Upvote 0
For me personally, the state of health of a battery only becomes a concern when you come to sell on the car. Last year my son bought a 9 year old LEAF, after I'd plugged in my OBD2 and used LEAF Spy to see that the battery had lost 15%, which for a LEAF of that age was pretty good.

So it doesn't really matter in the day-to-day running of the car if you keep it in the Goldilocks zone of 20% to 80%. Battery chemists seem to agree that multiple deep discharge and recharge cycles age the battery faster than gentle, slower charging.

Upvote 0
Once a week on a 7kW Hypervolt, back up to 80% from whatever it is (which varies from 40% to 60%). Up to 100% before a long journey or once every 4 of 5 weeks to 100% if no long journeys have been done. I actually have a full 12 months cost analytic now. On home charging on the Hypervolt it was £198.22 for 1,383 kwh. Up to 1st August 2023 it was 18p per kWh ( old BG fixed tarrif for all times of the day ). When they introduced the 50% money back on Sundays from 11am to 4pm, I charged then. Since 1st August 2023 I used overnight tarrif from 12 to 5am at 9p per kWh. Thats the BG EV tariff fixed to Oct 24. Peak is about 30p per kWh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks, Ruislip and Gadget. Seems I can relax. We have only done a couple of longish trips, Truro to Taunton and back twice. The first time on a fast charger was a learning experience but once done it's easy. The granny charger works for us, 7.9p/kWh midnight to 5am. charging to 80% usually, 100 before a trip. Not sure the finances of a faster charger work for us yet. We'll see....
One other thing, if I may, does the car tell me when to balance out should I just do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I just charge to 100% every 4 or 5 weeks. The car will just do the balance if its need to do it, once it reaches 100% SOC. It does not tell you it has done it. You would have to monitor the charge status on the app. If its at 100% and is then still drawing a small charge for an hour or so, its doing a balance.

Upvote 0
Some people have said the model/trim they have displayed a reminder, but I've never seen one. Once every month or two is fine. It just helps with the accuracy of the estimated range.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom