Charging Speed: Car or Cable?

u01rdw4

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Charging question for anyone who knows the answer!

I've got a ZS SE LR (72 plate), and I want to know what's limiting my charging speeds.
On a 22kW Type 2 chargers using my own cable, it'll max at 7kW; and at 70kw CCS chargers it'll max at 50kw.

I've seen posts on here from owners getting speeds in excess of 100kW on a Trophy. Is the SE model not capable of anything more than 50kW?
For the Type 2, is my cable limiting the speed at the chargers and a better cable would allow access to 22kW of charging?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Your car is limited on AC chargers by the cars onboard charger - which I believe is 7kwhr on your car - others can confirm.
This means no matter what the charger is capable of (in your case 22kwh) you’ll get a maximum of what the on board charger is rated at.
Rapid DC charging will provide charge rates based on a few factors - check what your cars maximum rapid charging rating is. Outside temperature, the state of the battery pack, the amount of charge needed and the actual performance of the charger all impact speed.
The fastest charge is usually achieved when the pack is down to about 20% and below and you charge to 80% where the BMS will significantly reduce the charge rate to protect the pack.

If you have a single phase 32A cable the you will only get 7kW.
Does your car have L2 and L3 populated on the type2 socket for 3 phase charging?
On a DC rapid you will only see big numbers if starting from 20%-30% soc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom