Charging speed

Ashok

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My MG5 LR is only charging at 3kW instead of 7kW from my wall charger. It is as slow as the 13 amp granny charger. Wall charging is set to 32 amp. Any ideas anyone what wrong or where is the fault. I expect car to charge to 80% in about 8 hrs but it’s taking about 16/18 hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a tethered charger or do you use a type 2 cable? Could it be that your cable is only rated to 16A?

Hi Ashok,

Few questions so we can try and help you as it can have a variety of reasons:
- Have you used this particular charger before?

- Is it a smart charger linked to a smart tariff? (octopus Intelligent)

- if it’s a new charger to you: is it an 11kW charger? (Long shot in the UK) since they will output about 3,5kW with a 1-phase 32A cable attached.

- if you have a new cable do you have a 3-Phase 16A cable?

These are the car/charger issues that I can think off. If the charger is equipped with load balancing (really should be) and other high consumers are used in the property it might also throttle down.

Hope this helps a bit?

I am interested to know how did you reduced charging speed. I am using Ohme ePod but I have not found out how.

Reducing charging speed would be good to electric grid and car battery.

I am interested to know how did you reduced charging speed. I am using Ohme ePod but I have not found out how.

Reducing charging speed would be good to electric grid and car battery.
Have you tried this yet?

Probably have to do this first
On the front of the charger display, you will find 3 blue dots. Please place a finger on each of these and hold down all 3 buttons for 5 to 10 seconds, until you see a change in the screen The first screen you should see will be "Installer Mode" or "Restore Firmware".

Thanks a lot for the instruction.

I also noticed a message fron tsedge from different thread.
Don't forget you can limit the current that an AC granny charger will draw in the car via the charging screen, to keep loads down I'd recommend chosing the 6A setting for any installation that does not have a dedicated socket connected directly to the consumer unit and checked by an electrician.

The problem is granny chargers were initially intended for occasional use, partly because so many houses have sub- standard wiring. There's no problem with good wiring and a quality granny charger but there's a lot of people out there without both.
I will try tsedge method because I am on Intelligent Octopus. It took long time (2 months) to get me working onto the tarrif.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom