Charging Stations Out Of Service

Siy66

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
With us now being allowed Staycations we are currently away in the Peak District.
We have planned our journey charging stations etc.
Big Issues out of 14 charging points around where we are based only 1 charge point is operating. Today 4 cars waiting to charge their cars, after waiting 3hours to charge my car I was a little disgruntled and from talking to other drivers, it appears some of the service providers have had charge points out of service for months. As a converted petrol head I am struggling to see how going all electric is beneficial to us. We need the service providers to pull their finger out and get charging points operating ASAP.
Anyone else seeing this issue.

I visited a town in Wales yesterday and there are 2 BP Pulse chargers which are shown out of service for several weeks.
No others nearby.
I planned my route avoiding them.

Same problem down here and The only way to find out before you waste charge is using PlugShare app - hopefully some kind EV owner will have discovered the problem before you get there. But yeah, you’d have to wonder why they’re not fixed ASAP - I’ve never seen a petrol bowser out of action for more than a day...must be more profit to be made there. Also a shortage of available technicians perhaps?

Who is responsible for powering up/switching on BP chargers, BP or the car park owner ?
I ask this because I've come across a couple last year that were not even lit up. let alone working, I couldn't connect to the app in both cases. I also noticed, on Zap Map, that one of them had been used since my visit, so they do work sometimes.

We had a trip to West Wales last weekend. The Ecotricity monopoly at service stations is a complete joke. Half of the ones on the M4 are fast not rapid chargers. And the ones that are Rapid aren't working. However I did read last week that other companies are going to be allowed to install chargers on the motorway. There are plenty of others just off the motorway but then you have to sit in an empty Morrisons (closed) car park without facilities. BP and Instavolt seem to be sorting themselves out but they others leave a lot to be desired.

However at a BP garage the dual chargers were off, the petrol attendant didn't even know they have a chargers and said just press the on switch on the front...

$hit happens alas. Just make sure your report the failed chargers at least to Zap Map, and to the provider...

Ecotricity are replacing all (?) of their motorway chargers with their new partnership, hopefully with new chargers and several of them at each location, by the end of summer.

The charging infrastructure is improving, no magic involved, its gonna take time..:)

Last edited:
Agree with the comments here about sharing experiences promptly. I drove to Dundee and, after looking at the comments on Zap Map, elected to go for one of the charging hubs as the other hub had quite a few broken units, reported. When I got there, the charging hub was exactly as described (very underused) so I was quite confident on my way there and plugged in my car.

I updated Zap Map and was on my way after 40mins of charging and saw 2 other cars had since parked up and were charging. :)

Cheers

Bloggsy

With us now being allowed Staycations we are currently away in the Peak District.
We have planned our journey charging stations etc.
Big Issues out of 14 charging points around where we are based only 1 charge point is operating. Today 4 cars waiting to charge their cars, after waiting 3hours to charge my car I was a little disgruntled and from talking to other drivers, it appears some of the service providers have had charge points out of service for months. As a converted petrol head I am struggling to see how going all electric is beneficial to us. We need the service providers to pull their finger out and get charging points operating ASAP.
Anyone else seeing this issue.
I hope it's up and running now as I am planning to use it next Monday.
It is, I checked it out a couple of weeks ago

Let's hope this goes ahead soon.
That looks amazing - excuse me while I turn green with envy:sick::alien:
I have one question - why are chargers always out in the weather? No cover from sun or rain etc unlike fuel pumps...weird.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom