Charging to 100%

pete3112

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Looking into purchasing a long range model is it ok to charge to 100% on a regular basis or only 80% and not go below 20% my first ev would it effect the warranty

20 to 80% is the sweet spot for LR battery longevity. 90% does no real harm as does 10% . The only thing with 100% is not to do it on a daily basis. Once or twice a week or for longer journeys does it no harm.

Also do you fill your ICE car up every day? If you don't need the range why fill it up also applies to EV's

At the end of the day it all comes down to how long you intend to own it and your required usage. Deterioration will not be a sudden drop more it will be a slow drawn out process if the car is not abused.

That being said I did not buy a car advertised at 270 + miles to then be told don't charge beyond x so just be sensible and enjoy!

P.s don't worry about the warranty if you are not rapid/ultra rapid charging to 100% every day.

Basic Charging type explanation

Granny (13a plug) is about 2 - 3 kw per hour
Fast is 7kw home or public - single phase 5 pin cable

DC = rapid chargers
All tethered leads on the chargers for safety reasons
40 - 50kw upwards is the base starting point
Ultra rapid 100kw upwards

Alan

Last edited:
As above, if you really need 100% charge to 100%, it’s called long range mode or something on the charge management screen. I would go and check but my car is back at the dealer with oil leak and shitty undertray.

I’ve driven over 100k miles in 3 EVs in 10 years and with those other cars when I charged at home I charged to 100%. Smaller battery c-zero and leaf required it every day……Ioniq 38 with much better efficiency every other day or 3rd in summer.
Mg will probably be to 80% every 2-3 days but if we feel we might need to shoot off on a long trip we’ll change that to 100%.
It won’t invalidate warranty.

Use it as you want.

20 to 80% is the sweet spot for LR battery longevity. 90% does no real harm as does 10% . The only thing with 100% is not to do it on a daily basis. Once or twice a week or for longer journeys does it no harm.

Also do you fill your ICE car up every day? If you don't need the range why fill it up also applies to EV's

At the end of the day it all comes down to how long you intend to own it and your required usage. Deterioration will not be a sudden drop more it will be a slow drawn out process if the car is not abused.

That being said I did not buy a car advertised at 270 + miles to then be told don't charge beyond x so just be sensible and enjoy!

P.s don't worry about the warranty if you are not rapid/ultra rapid charging to 100% every day.

Basic Charging type explanation

Granny (13a plug) is about 2 - 3 kw per hour
Fast is 7kw home or public - single phase 5 pin cable

DC = rapid chargers
All tethered leads on the chargers for safety reasons
40 - 50kw upwards is the base starting point
Ultra rapid 100kw upwards

Alan
Would be 100% just once a week to go to caravan rest would be 80% and didn't realise you could charge off a normal plug been looking at home charger fitting and found a 7kw or 22kw one only a hundred quid difference or would 22kw not be possible at home off a normal metre

Would be 100% just once a week to go to caravan rest would be 80% and didn't realise you could charge off a normal plug been looking at home charger fitting and found a 7kw or 22kw one only a hundred quid difference or would 22kw not be possible at home off a normal metre
You cannot use 22kW charging unless you have a 3-phase supply, unlikely in a domestic setting in the UK. 3-phase supply is mostly industrial.

No, you need a 3 phase supply for that (most homes don't have it) and the car also needs to be capable of charging at that speed from an AC supply (Rapid charging is DC)

I think what does the most damage to the battery is not charging it to 100% regularly, but leaving it stood at 100% for any length of time and the same with a very low state of charge.
I wouldn't worry about the warranty anyway, there is nothing in the terms about charging regimes.

80 to 100% causes additional heat in the batteries which is not a major issue if slower charging (not DC rapid) but can cause degradation if done too regularly. Hence the recommendations to go below that if 100% is not actually required. DC charging creates even more heat hence the need to use only when and if required for specific journey types.

I am only quoting the guidelines from numerous EV journals and research so don't shoot the messenger 🙏 Most modern EV's Battery Management Systems (BMS) give far greater protection from degradation than previous versions so whether you follow the recommendations or not is not as vital, I believe, as in the past.

Let's be honest, use the car as you want to, to get what you need from the vehicle. That's why we buy them in the first place, not to be worrying about battery life. Life is too short!

Alan

I'm curious if you charged to say 100% and then didn't need to use the car for at least 1 week, how much charge can you expect to still have?

Has anyone done this and can verify?

It probably won't drop much at all that's why they say don't charge to 100% and leave the car as the battery won't like it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back