MG ZS EV Charging using Tesla Supercharger

Chrisd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Is it easy to use a Supercharger? I downloaded the Tesla app, but can't find any tabs to charging. Have I got the right app?

Description of how this should work is here:

How do you use a Tesla charger with an MG? Most of the Tesla chargers I've seen have been empty whilst queues for standard chargers.

How do you use a Tesla charger with an MG? Most of the Tesla chargers I've seen have been empty whilst queues for standard chargers.
You can’t use a Tesla Supercharger with the MG.

You can use some Tesla Destination Chargers. A Tesla Destination Charger is like a normal 7kW Home Charger as far as the MG is concerned.

Here’s a visual indication of Tesla Superchargers (rapids) open to non Tesla cars. Pinpoints in red shows the availability.

Attachments

• 9EE68510-769D-4754-B8E7-A12A94B450DD.jpeg
    9EE68510-769D-4754-B8E7-A12A94B450DD.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 330
Is it easy to use a Supercharger? I downloaded the Tesla app, but can't find any tabs to charging. Have I got the right app?
Oh yes, the Tesla App! Real value, because it's one of those 'Hey, we've got your credit card#, and now we're gonna make it real difficult for you to stop the monthly payments going through..' type of business models. In other words, very unethical. If you subscribe to the Non-tesla charging plan at $10 per month and decide later to stop it, good luck! If you try and cancel your payment method, a notice comes up threatening that the plan will still continue. After finally finding a 'cancel subscription', it just takes you back to the first screen, which then offers the same menu option. If you perservere, you will finally find a note that you will need to call tesla to cancel the subscription. I'm still not free of it, but once I am, I'm not even breathing Tesla charging again.

You can’t use a Tesla Supercharger with the MG.

You can use some Tesla Destination Chargers. A Tesla Destination Charger is like a normal 7kW Home Charger as far as the MG is concerned.
Even now in Feb 2023, it is rare to see a non-tesla charging from a Tesla charger. What it means is that you just can't do it. Despite Google being full of 'yes you can', the answer for MG's is 'no you can't'.

Oh yes, the Tesla App! Real value, because it's one of those 'Hey, we've got your credit card#, and now we're gonna make it real difficult for you to stop the monthly payments going through..' type of business models. In other words, very unethical. If you subscribe to the Non-tesla charging plan at $10 per month and decide later to stop it, good luck! If you try and cancel your payment method, a notice comes up threatening that the plan will still continue. After finally finding a 'cancel subscription', it just takes you back to the first screen, which then offers the same menu option. If you perservere, you will finally find a note that you will need to call tesla to cancel the subscription. I'm still not free of it, but once I am, I'm not even breathing Tesla charging again.
The one thing that puts me off a Tesla is the absolute control over the software they have., especially by an adult adolecent like Elon.

Yeah, and that is utterly fair enough! At least buy a coffee.
Ah yes. Elon. Elon. Here's my take. Many are confused about ego. Ego is simply the need to draw attention to oneself. We all know that rare person who just makes everyone feel good - where the room cannot hold any more people because that person makes more fun of themself than anything. And we all know those people with a flatulent ego, where everyone is just hastily looking for the nearest exit. He is painful at times, but not often. Just like you or me! His ego is there, and he's pretty obvious. But it's not a bad ego. At least he's productive and propelled to advance the technological front, both as a businessman and an explorer. He doesn't have time for yachts, islands or mansions. Be glad that a man like Elon is at the top. The world is profiting from his unique thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even now in Feb 2023, it is rare to see a non-tesla charging from a Tesla charger. What it means is that you just can't do it. Despite Google being full of 'yes you can', the answer for MG's is 'no you can't'.
I was recently at the Cardiff supercharger (open to non-Teslas) and there were VW ID3s and Porsche Taycans charging successfully. This seems to be an MG problem and it would be great if this could be resolved so that these (fairly) plentiful chargers could be used.

Tesla have blocked MG and some others due to incompatibility with the CCS protocol. Not sure if MG or Tesla are trying to fix things?

Yes very straightforward.

Select the charger point number/letter from the app, plug it and you are done.

Tesla have blocked MG and some others due to incompatibility with the CCS protocol. Not sure if MG or Tesla are trying to fix things?
Not true afaik and in my experience.

I was recently at the Cardiff supercharger (open to non-Teslas) and there were VW ID3s and Porsche Taycans charging successfully. This seems to be an MG problem and it would be great if this could be resolved so that these (fairly) plentiful chargers could be used.
Any update on this? Thanks

Any update on this? Thanks
Do you mean specifically Cardiff? Or any open supercharger?

If any open pilot supercharger there shouldn't be any reason why the facelift ZS shouldn't work...

E.g it's not just me that can get them to work, see a ZS here with success on ZapMap...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230531-220356.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531-220356.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 123
Sadly the one Tesla charger station open to non-tesla cars I tried was unable to recognise my MG ZS EV Trophy Connect. That was near Harrogate on the Leeds Road. I specifically tried it as I havn't one near where I live and other members expressed interest.

I could charge across Europe last summer in my ZS ev as well as at Cambridge but this summer I plugged in at Blue Water ones and none would recognise the car. Going to try on Boulogne today. Seems like they broke what worked fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom