• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging whilst unlocked

Morganite18

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m probably being stupid but I’m trying to use a smart charger with our MG ZS 70 plate and I can’t work out how to charge the car without locking the car first, is there a way?
TIA

Hi, you may get a better response in the ZS forum, you've posted in the MG5 forum instead.

I'm not certain regarding the ZS (I know the 5 can charge locked or unlocked) but I believe there should be a software update to allow you to charge unlocked.

But I may be completely wrong! Someone else in the ZS forum may be able to help.

Hi, you may get a better response in the ZS forum, you've posted in the MG5 forum instead.

I'm not certain regarding the ZS (I know the 5 can charge locked or unlocked) but I believe there should be a software update to allow you to charge unlocked.

But I may be completely wrong! Someone else in the ZS forum may be able to help.
Ooppps yes sorry wrong forum, but thanks for your guidance 😊

Hi all
I’m probably being stupid but I’m trying to use a smart charger with our MG ZS 70 plate and I can’t work out how to charge the car without locking the car first, is there a way?
TIA

Hi all
TIA
It will depend on what software version you are running on.
Unless it has the necessary update, it will only charge with the doors LOCKED.
If you open the doors with the fob, when the car is charging, it will interrupt the charge until you re-lock the car.
You will be able to open the hatchback, while the car is still charging IF you have the key in your pocket, and then lift up the MG badge to gain entry.
But don't use the fob, or it will stop the charge.
It should let you charge with the doors open if you are rapid charging.
If you really want the facility to charge from your wall box or Granny unit while the car is unlocked / doors open, then you will have to speak to your dealer and request a software update.
I am assuming you are running on the original OEM factory BMS software ?.
The subject of the different versions of the BMS updates, have been covered extensively on this site.

Hi all
TIA
Unfortunately, some cars have not had the software update to charge whilst locked/unlocked and it looks like your hasn't so the short answer is - you can't! I'm not sure which update you need to do this but if you speak to your local dealer, they should be able to give the answer and the cost.

Sorry - hope you get it sorted. I've only had to sit in the car whilst it's charging 3 times since we got it in April but it's very handy when it's raining!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Unfortunately, some cars have not had the software update to charge whilst locked/unlocked and it looks like your hasn't so the short answer is - you can't! I'm not sure which update you need to do this but if you speak to your local dealer, they should be able to give the answer and the cost.

Sorry - hope you get it sorted. I've only had to sit in the car whilst it's charging 3 times since we got it in April but it's very handy when it's raining!

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thank you so much for the info 😊 it’s in for its first service soon so I will ask them when it goes in 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom