Charging with lower kW

Popp

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

Is it possible to reduce the charging of the car (not from the charging box, must be direct from the car)? I know some other cars can set a limit to kw per hour. I want to reduce mine so it matches the inverter output from my solar panels.

Kind regards
Michael

I don't think so.
You could get a variable current granny EVSE.
Do you have the face-lift model?

I have the 2022 model MG ZS EV.
I don't want to buy a new charger, and mine is very simple, so I can't control it from the charging box.

I have the 2022 model MG ZS EV.
I don't want to buy a new charger, and mine is very simple, so I can't control it from the charging box.
Unfortunately you don't have much choice you can get a variable current charger for like £250 I don't think it's a lot to spend if you're then going to be charging for free?

Hi,

Is it possible to reduce the charging of the car (not from the charging box, must be direct from the car)? I know some other cars can set a limit to kw per hour. I want to reduce mine so it matches the inverter output from my solar panels.

Kind regards
Michael
Should be able to current limit from your charger. Not possible externally or from the car unless you bung a honking great inline resistor (N.B, this is a joke) betwixt your cable & car.

Unfortunately you don't have much choice you can get a variable current charger for like £250 I don't think it's a lot to spend if you're then going to be charging for free?
That was cheep, do you have a link?

That was cheep, do you have a link?
There are some cheaper than that

There is loads of them now you can turn down to 6amps about 1.3kws should be really handy for solar? Just google variable EV charger

When i got the ZS EV i bought a cheap charger with variable amps (6-8-10-13-16) because i needed to be able to cap the current because i have solar and i can only deliver max 3600 watts to the grid, so anything above 3600 watts i pay for.

Car was totalled, and i ended up getting a Tesla instead, and the onboard charger in the Tesla can control the charge current in 1A increments from 5-16 (On my charger) so now my charger is just always set to 16A to not limit the Tesla from adjusting the current.

If we are out of the house, i can set the Tesla to 14A, and still remain under 3600 (Including the house "idle" usage)

This is the one I bought, and I've linked a solar switch to the CP lead.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom