Charging with passenger in the car

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Went to charge at a Tesco PodPoint today and the passenger stayed in the car and the car ‘open’.

It wouldn’t charge - the contactless just said ‘processing’ and them the app couldn’t start the charge as it said it couldn’t communicate with the charger (after the contactless cleared).

Is this a charge point comms issue or because there was someone in the car which could be stopping it?

Went to charge at a Tesco PodPoint today and the passenger stayed in the car and the car ‘open’.

It wouldn’t charge - the contactless just said ‘processing’ and them the app couldn’t start the charge as it said it couldn’t communicate with the charger (after the contactless cleared).

Is this a charge point comms issue or because there was someone in the car which could be stopping it?
Unlikely, I appeared phone the providers help line number on the charger. 9 times out of 10 they can fix the issues or , confirm the unit is kaput!

I used a PodPoint destination charger in a theatre car park about ten days ago and I was in and out the car collecting stuff and changing shoes and whatever, and it never hesitated.

Did you try locking the charge port on the infotainment screen? Or pressing Start on there? Might help

No as the charger did lock to the car but payment wouldn’t go through.
Did you press Start in the car or app though? I’ve had to do that before to get a public charge point to deliver a charge. Only once though, haven’t had to do it since

Some chargers are more ‘sensitive’ to the state of the car. I recently charged at a Chargemaster 50kW charger and it consistently failed to handshake unless the car was locked and powered down. It didn’t flinch though when the car was subsequently unlocked and sat in. Kept charging until I stopped it using the RFID card.

Never had problems with PodPoint, the free ones at Sainsbury's and (25p) destination charger. just plug in and confirm the charge. The free one does end the charge if I return and sit in the car but normally reconnects within a minute or so.

I wonder if it's the sitting in the car that does it. When I was on the Glyndbourne PodPoint I went back to the car to get stuff, but I don't think I sat in the driver's seat, not even when I was changing my shoes. The charge never wavered. It didn't even drop when someone in a Leaf pulled into the adjacent bay and started charging on the same post.

Used a Tesla Supercharger - doors open, people in and out of the car - no issues at all. (It's not the car)
Exactly what I did - Pulled up to Tesla - Pressed P once I had reversed. Opened My door.. Popped open charger port - Plugged in Tesla - Initiated from Tesla App - Boom charging .. DID not turn car 'off' - Car managed all of that - SIMPLES - How Charging should be - Incidentally I hit 141Kwh - so went from 20% to 80% in some very happy time of some 15 mins ! Cant wait for Tesla to open More Superchargers

Did you press Start in the car or app though? I’ve had to do that before to get a public charge point to deliver a charge. Only once though, haven’t had to do it since
Only on the app and charger but not the car. With kids in the car couldn’t investigate further. Will be trying again later today!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back