• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging

By the way, I got my car booked in Glyn Hopkin MG service at East London branch for end of month to check battery voltage issue, as I am only max 450 with full battery charge.
Great news let me know how you get on, good luck 🤞

Don’t worry you’ll get there to be honest it’s just a little bit of planning if your going further afield look at Zap-Map for charging along the route and the info will give you more details about payment and price per KWh too.
Locally if you can like Mas said look at Pod-Point for their free chargers at Tesco and Sainsbury’s, but also note the parking restrictions too.
Hi Mark just a wee Q re battery balancing - hope you or someone out there can help:
I'm trying to balance the battery on my MG5 LR. 22plate - went to fast charger and took it up to 100% then plugged in my home charger (latest Wallbox)and set it for overnight balancing but the app kept saying awaiting car demand, wondered if due to 100% in battery I needed to take it down to say 95/96%. I then again set it to an overnight schedule and again when charged up to100% it stopped charging !
Is this the norm for the 5 or is there a fault ? Any help would be appreciated

Hi, when you said you took it to 100% on a fast charger do you mean rapid?
On a fast AC EVSE it will balance but not a DC CCS.
It will stop pulling 7kW when charged and drop to 300-500W to balance.

Hi Mark just a wee Q re battery balancing - hope you or someone out there can help:
I'm trying to balance the battery on my MG5 LR. 22plate - went to fast charger and took it up to 100% then plugged in my home charger (latest Wallbox)and set it for overnight balancing but the app kept saying awaiting car demand, wondered if due to 100% in battery I needed to take it down to say 95/96%. I then again set it to an overnight schedule and again when charged up to100% it stopped charging !
Is this the norm for the 5 or is there a fault ? Any help would be appreciated
Hi Eddie no I don’t think you’re car has a fault. I just stop the CCS charge at something over 80% (where I normally try to limit my charges) and top up the rest on a 7kw unit to allow the car to balance. I do that at home or out and about at Tesco or one of the other freebies if we’re taking in some lunch or shopping etc. I trust you are well sir. It must be nearing coffee ‘n blether time soon if you and / or anyone else fancies that ??
Archie

Hi Eddie no I don’t think you’re car has a fault. I just stop the CCS charge at something over 80% (where I normally try to limit my charges) and top up the rest on a 7kw unit to allow the car to balance. I do that at home or out and about at Tesco or one of the other freebies if we’re taking in some lunch or shopping etc. I trust you are well sir. It must be nearing coffee ‘n blether time soon if you and / or anyone else fancies that ??
Archie
Hi Archie
1. Yes to a blether and coffee
2. Spoke this morning to the guy who came and fitted my new charger (old faulty) and he gave me the same advice take it up to 80 then 7Kw charge till 100% and that will balance said battery.
3. Thx Jomarkh for info, my usual charger station is 50Kw max so I don't know if that fast or rapid ?

Hi Archie
1. Yes to a blether and coffee
2. Spoke this morning to the guy who came and fitted my new charger (old faulty) and he gave me the same advice take it up to 80 then 7Kw charge till 100% and that will balance said battery.
3. Thx Jomarkh for info, my usual charger station is 50Kw max so I don't know if that fast or rapid ?
Hello Eddie. The 50kw is a rapid (CCS) so max out around 80% with it. With the magnificent 5LR that’s good for around a couple of hundred miles and plenty for my use. 7kw home or supermarket units using your car type 2 cable then perfect to slowly top up to the 100% mark and then balance up the battery. I think it then shows 406 volts when balanced. The grand old Granny can also top up and balance the whole shebang - I tend to do that between 13:00 and 16:00 or 20:30 and 00:30 when my power tariff is cheaper with SSE/ OVO. Having said that I’ve only topped up with the wall charger at home a couple of times a month in the year that we’ve had this car. I always cart Granny and an extension cord around for emergencies but so far she’s not been or of the bag. Previously I used the ZS EV Granny three times in almost two years. The 5LR is going for it’s first service in about three weeks (£107 quoted) so I must enquire about the health of the battery.
Do you fancy a weekend or through the week coffee break or shall we open it out and see what suits any interested parties who work for a living etc ??
I’ll start by suggesting Tuesday 6th September but totally happy to change that - venue to be discussed.
Archie

Hello Eddie. The 50kw is a rapid (CCS) so max out around 80% with it. With the magnificent 5LR that’s good for around a couple of hundred miles and plenty for my use. 7kw home or supermarket units using your car type 2 cable then perfect to slowly top up to the 100% mark and then balance up the battery. I think it then shows 406 volts when balanced. The grand old Granny can also top up and balance the whole shebang - I tend to do that between 13:00 and 16:00 or 20:30 and 00:30 when my power tariff is cheaper with SSE/ OVO. Having said that I’ve only topped up with the wall charger at home a couple of times a month in the year that we’ve had this car. I always cart Granny and an extension cord around for emergencies but so far she’s not been or of the bag. Previously I used the ZS EV Granny three times in almost two years. The 5LR is going for it’s first service in about three weeks (£107 quoted) so I must enquire about the health of the battery.
Do you fancy a weekend or through the week coffee break or shall we open it out and see what suits any interested parties who work for a living etc ??
I’ll start by suggesting Tuesday 6th September but totally happy to change that - venue to be discussed.
Archie
Arch thx for all that info (show off) :cool:
Your service Falkirk ? Yup Tues 6th sounds perfect for me and hope any other MG fanatic can join us, suggest we wait until any other fancy the meet then look at location?

Arch thx for all that info (show off) :cool:
Your service Falkirk ? Yup Tues 6th sounds perfect for me and hope any other MG fanatic can join us, suggest we wait until any other fancy the meet then look at location?
Yes Frasers in Falkirk are doing the service. I might go up to the Falkirk Wheel for a wander / cycle / coffee for the hour or so whilst they attend to it. SWRTR (She Who Rules This Roost) needs a wee run the 6th so it’ll be mid morning before I arrive.
ANY OTHER COFFEE / MG ADDICTS OUT THERE TO JOIN US ?

Yes Frasers in Falkirk are doing the service. I might go up to the Falkirk Wheel for a wander / cycle / coffee for the hour or so whilst they attend to it. SWRTR (She Who Rules This Roost) needs a wee run the 6th so it’ll be mid morning before I arrive.
ANY OTHER COFFEE / MG ADDICTS OUT THERE TO JOIN US ?
1100 ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom