Check list for looking round a new MG4 trophy

KH11

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have reserved a Camden Grey Trophy. Which I will be going to test drive after our holidays. Hopefully I will be purchasing if everything pans out.

Has anyone done a check list for looking for when I go. I have tried putting in a search by a couple of combinations on here and nothing has come up.

I have noted some of the things that have been raised on here but it would be helpful if I had a full list of things that I need to check.

I have noted the oil leak, undertray bulge, checking window seals and someone had mentioned the infotainment software update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Some things others have mentioned, some are dealer/car specific.

Mein Trophy had some sort of balm or something badly applied to the rear leather. It's taken a good few cleans to fade the whiteness away. V

IMG_20230411_163822.jpg

As others have said, most early issues may not appear on new builds.

Ask your dealer to check/apply Battery Management Updates BMS if needed, to prevent early 'restricted power due to battery %' this was happening on some cars around 20% charge level, instead of less than 5%

Make sure you're getting all charging cables you'll need if you request them, granny comes as standard, Type2 is payable - dependant on method of purchase.

Also ask the dealer to help pair your car to MG iSmart when you collect. To make sure it takes.

Edit: if possible, check to see if they have used the proper mounting holes for the rear number plate or insist that they do if you intend on keeping the car long term, as some dealers seem to just drill the holes wherever is convenient for them - and it's not always level 🤔 this will quell any rust fears from poorly drilled/sealed holes.

Last edited:
There is on here in the "Got a question/issue?" in the first sticky thread.
It was done when the car first came out and some of the items have since been resolved.

Check for scratches and swirl marks on the bodywork and check the panel gaps.
Look underneath (take a plastic bag to kneel on if wet) and check the rear undertray for a bulge.
Check the interior damage.
Look in the boot for charging cable.
Don't worry to much about the infotainment software as all versions have their own bugs at the moment.

Get the dealer to help with binding your phone to the car and setting up bluetooth. It might be an idea to download the iSmart app and set up an account before hand but use an email address to authenticate not a mobile number. Make sure you take a note of your password, which email address you used and when at the dealers the PIN.

There is on here in the "Got a question/issue?" in the first sticky thread.
It was done when the car first came out and some of the items have since been resolved.

Check for scratches and swirl marks on the bodywork and check the panel gaps.
Look underneath (take a plastic bag to kneel on if wet) and check the rear undertray for a bulge.
Check the interior damage.
Look in the boot for charging cable.
Don't worry to much about the infotainment software as all versions have their own bugs at the moment.

Get the dealer to help with binding your phone to the car and setting up bluetooth. It might be an idea to download the iSmart app and set up an account before hand but use an email address to authenticate not a mobile number. Make sure you take a note of your password, which email address you used and
Thanks both that’s very helpful and I know the fault log work being undertaken by tsedge is a good piece of work too.
Not sure if these are all printable off here but it would be good to look at beforehand. If it isn’t I will have to write one based on the feedback to take with me and also to raise beforehand.

If everything pans out I will be purchasing it. So might not be long before I am joining you

Mein Trophy had some sort of balm or something badly applied to the rear leather. It's taken a good few cleans to fade the whiteness away. V

View attachment 17566

Ask your dealer to check/apply Battery Management Updates BMS if needed, to prevent early 'restricted power due to battery %' this was happening on some cars around 20% charge level, instead of less than 5%

Make sure you're getting all charging cables you'll need if you request them, granny comes as standard, Type2 is payable - dependant on method of purchase.

Also ask the dealer to help pair your car to MG iSmart when you collect. To make sure it takes.

Edit: if possible, check to see if they have used the proper mounting holes for the rear number plate or insist that they do if you intend on keeping the car long term, as some dealers seem to just drill the holes wherever is convenient for them - and it's not always level 🤔 this will quell any rust fears from poorly drilled/sealed holes.
Did you have SupaGard applied at all and if so it could have been the interior protection applied poorly. I don’t want SupaGard applying as I will see a detailer nearer home about potentially getting PPF and Ceramic coated along with the interior and glass protection.

They do various packages so I’ll see what they suggest. I know it will be expensive but I was intending keeping the car some years if there are no major issues that I can’t get resolved.

View attachment 17566

The “restricted speed” thing can happen at any battery percentage, it’s not specific to a particular level.

Did you have SupaGard applied at all and if so it could have been the interior protection applied poorly. I don’t want SupaGard applying as I will see a detailer nearer home about potentially getting PPF and Ceramic coated along with the interior and glass protection.

They do various packages so I’ll see what they suggest. I know it will be expensive but I was intending keeping the car some years if there are no major issues that I can’t get resolved.
I believe it was part of my package, wasn't aware they applied anything to the interior, though unless I missed that bit whilst I was fiddling with the car

The “restricted speed” thing can happen at any battery percentage, it’s not specific to a particular level.

Of course, yours was particularly spectacular if I remember correctly. Dangerously so. Luckily that seems to not be a common issue, unlucky it happened in the first place but at least you're happy now 👍

I was referring to the turtle mode that is supposed to come on below 5% or so, but was coming on at around 20%.

I believe it was part of my package, wasn't aware they applied anything to the interior, though unless I missed that bit whilst I was fiddling with the car
They have sent me a portal link with a potential order form amongst other things. There is a set of videos on another tab which shows you the SupaGard and as well as doing the bodywork they do the interior too which includes the seats.

It is showing on the potential order form. So I am asking them to remove that element as I don’t want that doing as I have already mentioned. So it could be that they have poorly done your interior. A lot of the time it ends up being a rushed job to get you out the door and get your money.

They have sent me a portal link with a potential order form amongst other things. There is a set of videos on another tab which shows you the SupaGard and as well as doing the bodywork they do the interior too which includes the seats.

It is showing on the potential order form. So I am asking them to remove that element as I don’t want that doing as I have already mentioned. So it could be that they have poorly done your interior. A lot of the time it ends up being a rushed job to get you out the door and get your money.

I can fully imagine, no that makes sense actually. Appreciate that info 👍

I did get shoved out of the door almost, without showing me how to set up iSmart or anything but it worked straight away, plus I only live 5 minutes from the dealers so I would have been hounding them about any problems.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope it's a pleasant one like most of our cars seem to be 🤞😎

You know, something struck me about this supaguard nonsense when I collected my Born.
Do you think it’s possible dealers apply these treatments to all cars, in the presumption most people will take the extra cost?
I’m pretty sure my car has some sort of paint protection, but I was very specific I wasn’t paying for it.
I’m wondering if it’s just routine now and if anyone says no they just go ‘oh well’

I can fully imagine, no that makes sense actually. Appreciate that info 👍

I did get shoved out of the door almost, without showing me how to set up iSmart or anything but it worked straight away, plus I only live 5 minutes from the dealers so I would have been hounding them about any problems.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope it's a pleasant one like most of our cars seem to be 🤞😎
Thanks for that. The dealer nearest me has had mixed reviews and I am considering the PCP deal that Miles mentioned spit will be a sixty odd mile journey for me. The dealer near me doesn’t have the same offer on.

But hopefully things will pan out okay. I won’t be going over for a test drive till after our holidays.

It will be my first EV and Automatic. I originally was looking at a Hybrid last year but then got to thinking well they are automatic anyway so I might as well just go the full hog and get an EV.

You know, something struck me about this supaguard nonsense when I collected my Born.
Do you think it’s possible dealers apply these treatments to all cars, in the presumption most people will take the extra cost?
I’m pretty sure my car has some sort of paint protection, but I was very specific I wasn’t paying for it.
I’m wondering if it’s just routine now and if anyone says no they just go ‘oh well’
I am not sure but I spotted it on the potential order form and I didn’t ask for it. It is showing as an additional charge so to me that is an optional extra. Anyway I have asked for it to be removed and the figures reworked. I would rather go down the line I have already mentioned.

If I was only intending keeping it for 2 years and handing it back I might have considered it.

Thanks for that. The dealer nearest me has had mixed reviews and I am considering the PCP deal that Miles mentioned spit will be a sixty odd mile journey for me. The dealer near me doesn’t have the same offer on.

But hopefully things will pan out okay. I won’t be going over for a test drive till after our holidays.

It will be my first EV and Automatic. I originally was looking at a Hybrid last year but then got to thinking well they are automatic anyway so I might as well just go the full hog and get an EV.

This bloody predictive text I seemed to have started spitting lol

I have a Camden Grey Trophy. It has a small scratch on the bonnet lid. I cannot source touch up paint for it. Have tried Paintnuts, TouchUpPaintFactory and ChipEx. All no joy. They don't have the formula. I saw elsewhere on this site that the colour is discontinued in China. My advice would be to reconsider your colour choice. Otherwise happy with the car, except for the usual software gripes listed on here. Best of luck.

I have a Camden Grey Trophy. It has a small scratch on the bonnet lid. I cannot source touch up paint for it. Have tried Paintnuts, TouchUpPaintFactory and ChipEx. All no joy. They don't have the formula. I saw elsewhere on this site that the colour is discontinued in China. My advice would be to reconsider your colour choice. Otherwise happy with the car, except for the usual software gripes listed on here. Best of luck.

Just because it's discontinued in China, if that is true, it doesn't make it impossible to get. I have a grey 4 too.

Paint suppliers have to make it up, the Camden Grey is a fairly popular colour, so there will be plenty cars on the road in Europe with the same paint code, to make it worthwhile to stock the paint. It will be available readily at some point.

My last car was a Green Tea Metallic Honda CR-V EX, rare as hens teeth in the UK, but more common in the US. I had very little trouble buying touch up paint for it, from the UK.

IMG_20230403_180338.jpg

Some of the colours will be market specific.
They might be discontinuing it in China because the Chinese aren't buying it but they are offering it as an option in Australia and they haven't released the car yet.

It does seem very common. My dealer never mentioned it until we collected and then they said they'd done it as a courtesy for us to have to wait so long for our order, but that it wasn't warrantied as it was just a freebie.

I didn't really care either way as we're not ones to fuss about the bodywork / paint or clean the car that often, but I can understand those that do care about these things.

Just because it's discontinued in China, if that is true, it doesn't make it impossible to get. I have a grey 4 too.

Paint suppliers have to make it up, the Camden Grey is a fairly popular colour, so there will be plenty cars on the road in Europe with the same paint code, to make it worthwhile to stock the paint. It will be available readily at some point.

My last car was a Green Tea Metallic Honda CR-V EX, rare as hens teeth in the UK, but more common in the US. I had very little trouble buying touch up paint for it, from the UK.

View attachment 17569
I know Camden Grey paint should be available for years to come. But it should also be available now. I've not been able to find any. The paint websites accept your order and then apologise that they cannot supply and provide a refund.
Surely having parts and accessories available should be part of the manufacturers check list. Your green Honda is a red herring IMHO.

I know Camden Grey paint should be available for years to come. But it should also be available now. I've not been able to find any. The paint websites accept your order and then apologise that they cannot supply and provide a refund.
Surely having parts and accessories available should be part of the manufacturers check list. Your green Honda is a red herring IMHO.

Possibly. Unless the MG4 colours are the red herring? 🤯

The paints should be readily available by now, you're 100% right on that.

I have reserved a Camden Grey Trophy. Which I will be going to test drive after our holidays. Hopefully I will be purchasing if everything pans out.

Has anyone done a check list for looking for when I go. I have tried putting in a search by a couple of combinations on here and nothing has come up.

I have noted some of the things that have been raised on here but it would be helpful if I had a full list of things that I need to check.

I have noted the oil leak, undertray bulge, checking window seals and someone had mentioned the infotainment software update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I would check how the reg plated are mounted to the car.

I was lucky enough to get one where the dealers used sticky pads, but even so the rear plate was done badly and was close to falling off and it would rattle.

Some unlucky people have had extra holes in the bodywork for dealers using screws to mount the numberplates, as the dealers did not use the original holes from the factory.

Just want to say thanks for all the advice here🙏. I'm getting my MG4 Trophy (or Luxury as they call it in Germany) in white and in grey interior next month. This forum will help a lot to know what to check. Hopefully my dealer will more helpful and accommodating for checks and fixes as I went out of my way to find one with excellent reviews.

I have been reading about all the issues and the techy person in me can reason with most of them - but some seem to be simply bugs. I wonder if MG has some website with known bugs and fixes/features roadmap?

All this cannot reduce my excitement for this car :cool:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel