Check List for picking up new car

If you want to enhance paintwork protection it's better to shop around after you get the car. There are people here who will have an opinion but it may be better going to a dedicated site like detailing world to get advice on the best options :)

Don't go for the Supagard.
Very helpful, ours will be delivered in 10 days. Considering if we should take out the Supagard, never done that on new cars before, but living in devon means narrow roads. Last car we had, got keyed at 2 weeks old, would it have been better to have had this cover?
Thanks all
Definitely agree don't bother with Supaguard

A comment in another thread brought another issue to mind.
There will be pieces of hardware such as the infotainment screen that come with a protective film attached. Ordinarily I'd expect this to all be removed as part of the PDI but it's clear that some people prefer it to be left on.
I wouldn't be bothered about finding it still attached when I expected it to be removed because that's very easily remedied. It's more about making sure you tell the dealer in advance if you do want it kept on and making sure your wishes had been met (not that there's much you can do retrospectively if they haven't!)
Any views on this one way or the other?

Out of interest has anyone put a screen protector on the infotainment display to cut down fingerprints and glare? Does impair operation?

If you want to enhance paintwork protection it's better to shop around after you get the car. There are people here who will have an opinion but it may be better going to a dedicated site like detailing world to get advice on the best options :)
Thank you

Cheers, very fortuitous as I picking up tomorrow; there's a few things on that list I hadn't considered...

Picked up my car today so I can give some real world feedback on the check list :)
I actually printed it out in a spreadsheet format so that I could literally tick off the items line by line. This was a good move because even though I drafted the list, I didn't readily recall everything on it because I was caught up in the moment.
Good news is that all but one item received a tick and the one that was deficient was remedied there and then (wheel nut cap remover).
Top marks to the dealer Wilcox & Sons and the salesman Clive in particular. He even put the roofbar rating update in the printed manual!

That's great @Joe. Congrats. And we also just excited completed ours as well this morning. (Will post later). So the list was handy.

I copied the list onto my phone. Google Keep allows for check list so you strike it out as we went through it.

Agree having the list on hand. No way I'd remember everything, with the excited partner and eager dealer explaining all the features. And it was good to make sure we checked all the necessary items even though not all were applicable to my purchase.

While a few queries (such as removal of fuses and software updates) were annoyingly met with "I'm sure that's been done, that what the pre-delivery inspection (PDI) you paid is for" the list was great to just prompt. I didn't know what the wheel cap remover was, but asked and was shown.

No issues with it.

Enjoy your new car.

• Firmware updates,
  • satnav updates,
  • add ins like boot protector fitted properly mine was at such an angle right hand end I got my finger under It.
  • windscreen cleaned inside, again mine was so filmed up I was unable to clean it an returned it for them to sort out
  • Proof of air con pressure test done before you collect it. Mine was down 30%

I'm still awaiting delivery so was mulling over what to look out for when I pick the car up.
It's so easy to miss something significant because you're caught up in the moment and that's where a pre-prepared check list can be useful.
I've done a brain dump of that which comes to mind based on my own experiences but I'd welcome any observations or additions :)

Check List (not in any particular order)

• Two keys and check they both work
  • Printed owner's manual (check for roof rail update showing 35kg limit)
  • MG Assistance card/details
  • Registration Document?
  • 13A Charger
  • Tyre pump and bottle of gunge
  • Towing eye
  • Warning triangle
  • Wheel bolt cap removal tool
  • Check tyre pressures for over inflation
  • State of battery charge (HV and 12V)
  • Type 2 cable if ordered
  • Mats if ordered
  • Body panel condition and fit
  • Paint condition (inspect when dry and in good light)
  • Underside condition (ramp or kerb damage)
  • Wheel condition (kerbing)
  • Interior check for damage to seats and/or fittings
  • Registration Plate fit/level (especially rear)
  • Door mirror gasket fit
  • Functional checks on anything?/everything?
  • State of software update
  • Advertising stickers and labels removed
  • Free gifts promised as part of the deal
  • Check all "Removed for Transit" fuses are installed e.g. A/C fuse. (fuses may be in glove box)
  • Tyre Valve Dust Caps fitted
A useful list for sure. I’ll print that off. New to the forum and just ordered my MG5 today Should be collecting towards end of September. Found a dealer with a long range in stock. apparently there are as ‘Rare as hens teeth’

Front and rear number plates have the same numbers on. ;)

A useful list for sure. I’ll print that off. New to the forum and just ordered my MG5 today Should be collecting towards end of September. Found a dealer with a long range in stock. apparently there are as ‘Rare as hens teeth’
Hi,
What colour did they have in stock? I thought the LR was available in September but if he has a stock one you should be able to get it on 1st September on a 71 plate😃

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom