Clarification - allocation of cars to orders

Dotnetter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I asked this before on a thread or possibly one of the podcasts but can't find which one.

Can anyone explain how cars are allocated to orders?

@MilesperkWh I think you previously said that cars are allocated to orders as a first come, first served basis... So putting an order in asap would mean getting the car sooner... But I can't find where you mentioned this!

I've noticed a few posts from users who placed their orders after I did, stating that their dealer has since contacted them with a revised date... Usually moving from March to January.

I don't know which dealers they used.

Can you tell me if I've understood things correctly. If I have, is there any reason they should be given updated dates?

Cheers,

Wayne

Have a look at one of the Podcasts in in Late Oct or early Nov as Miles gave some detail on how the importing and distribution works which was very interesting

Baffles me too. I changed my order from the HS phev as soon as I was able to within a couple of days and still got told delivery of April. Maybe they were padding cos of delayed deliveries? Maybe trying to get me to keep my current order? But they did say they had someone who wanted the same phev as I ordered anyway.

I have always understood from various postings that the MG UK delivery date for an order is pure fiction to fill in a space on the computer. Actual dates are not allocated until the cars are physically on the dockside here in the UK.

I ordered on 2nd Nov and was told by the end of Jan for delivery, not had any other revisions so far. I suppose, that could mean December, but the dealer thought it would be Jan.

I have always understood from various postings that the MG UK delivery date for an order is pure fiction to fill in a space on the computer. Actual dates are not allocated until the cars are physically on the dockside here in the UK.
Not sure of the logistics side of things but shifting 2,000+ cars out of Bristol must be a bit of a thing. Maybe that has a bearing on what goes where.

I’ve had the occasional look, but haven’t spotted anything from China.
A few years back I did follow a ship from the USA🙄

Miles spoke about numbers of cars on ships, on last nights Pod Cast.
Numbers arriving can be very erratic to say the least.
One shipment of cars can number thousands, while others can number as little as twenty !.
Grabbing spare capacity on any car carrier they can.
He said he is still expecting to see “Some” cars arrive before Christmas and then some into early new year.
But information on shipment number and dates is still very thin on the ground.
A lot of dealers are telling customers of the face lift ZS EV to expect the cars around March 2022.
I remember it was like this when the original ZS EV went on sale.
It was launched around June in 2019 and was open for orders soon after.
Our order was placed on the 23rd soon after launch.
We where in the first 1,000 customers.
The dealers estimated arrival date was constantly shifting and changing.
First they said November then that shifted to December, but they where just guessing I am sure.
A very small number of cars did get delivered in the November time, but they where very few and far between.
I feel it will be very similar this time around.
Our car arrived at the dealership totally out of the blue, about two weeks before Christmas with four other ZS EV’s !.
Three went out before Christmas but we waited to register the car in 2020.
That made perfect sense to me.
We collected it in the 6th January.

Miles spoke about numbers of cars on ships, on last nights Pod Cast.
Numbers arriving can be very erratic to say the least.
One shipment of cars can number thousands, while others can number as little as twenty !.
Grabbing spare capacity on any car carrier they can.
He said he is still expecting to see “Some” cars arrive before Christmas and then some into early new year.
But information on shipment number and dates is still very thin on the ground.
A lot of dealers are telling customers of the face lift ZS EV to expect the cars around March 2022.
I remember it was like this when the original ZS EV went on sale.
It was launched around June in 2019 and was open for orders soon after.
Our order was placed on the 23rd soon after launch.
We where in the first 1,000 customers.
The dealers estimated arrival date was constantly shifting and changing.
First they said November then that shifted to December, but they where just guessing I am sure.
A very small number of cars did get delivered in the November time, but they where very few and far between.
I feel it will be very similar this time around.
Our car arrived at the dealership totally out of the blue, about two weeks before Christmas with four other ZS EV’s !.
Three went out before Christmas but we waited to register the car in 2020.
That made perfect sense to me.
We collected it in the 6th January.
yeah, I ordered my original ZS EV on the 1st Aug 2019 and I picked it up on the 23rd Jan 2020, it had arrived at the dealer the week before. This time around I ordered on the 2nd Nov, and the Dealer told me end of January, hoping he was right! :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom