Cleaning the chrome trim.

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a cleaning product to remove faint marks off the plastic chrome trims without scratching it or making it dull ?
These marks look like water marks, most likely caused by a combination of the pre-cleaning stuff they spray on at the local hand car wash and SWMBO not washing the car very often.
A Google search found Autosol M, supposedly for this very purpose, but there are some rubbish reviews for it.
I was just wondering if anyone has experience of any decent product ?

Can anybody recommend a cleaning product to remove faint marks off the plastic chrome trims without scratching it or making it dull ?
These marks look like water marks, most likely caused by a combination of the pre-cleaning stuff they spray on at the local hand car wash and SWMBO not washing the car very often.
A Google search found Autosol M, supposedly for this very purpose, but there are some rubbish reviews for it.
Autosol maybe to abrasive, I would try some glass cleaner / polish first - Auto Glym ?.
That should remove the water marks.

Autosol maybe to abrasive, I would try some glass cleaner / polish first - Auto Glym ?.
That should remove the water marks.
Apparently the Autosol M is specifically for plastics and less abrasive than the standard Autosol metal polish.
Thinking about it, I have actually used the standard Solvol Autosol metal polish to restore plastic watch glass in the past though.
On YouTube there was one guy in the US who used a plastic brillo pad looking thing, but the chrome he was using it on looked suspiciously like metal to me, although he said it was plastic.
I'll try the glass polish, I think I have some in the garage somewhere.

Claybar.... It will remove those spots....did it like a week ago on my EHS.... Keep it lubricated while using clay. Greetz

I haven’t tried it myself but WD 40 seems to clean many different surfaces and is reasonably cheap and readily available. Not sure if the chrome on this video is real or plastic but might be worth a go.

Apparently the Autosol M is specifically for plastics and less abrasive than the standard Autosol metal polish.
Thinking about it, I have actually used the standard Solvol Autosol metal polish to restore plastic watch glass in the past though.
On YouTube there was one guy in the US who used a plastic brillo pad looking thing, but the chrome he was using it on looked suspiciously like metal to me, although he said it was plastic.
I'll try the glass polish, I think I have some in the garage somewhere.
Using the original Sovo in the gold and black tube, now takes me back a few years !.
It's a fantastic metal polish !.
I use to polish the the brass radiator header tank on my Mk1 Mini Cooper S with it.
Hell of a finish.
I would tread careful on these modern plastic trims though.
Effectively it is a plastic / abs sub straight that is usually sprayed silver finish.
That is why I suggested starting with the least aggressive stuff like glass cleaner first.
If that is not giving you the result you are looking for, then I would step it up just a little at a time.
Try some of the Autoglym super resin polish ( if you have some ) white bottle with a red logo on the front.
They also do a brilliant Glass polish in same white bottle, with a light blue logo on the front.
I would steer away from "T" Cut or a compound polish, because they are too aggressive.
You could cut through if your not careful.

I use a waterless car wash on everything except the windscreen.

What about simply hot soapy water and a microfibre cloth? Combined with some elbow grease?
I don’t think these this type of water mark ring can be shifted, purely with soapy water now.
As @Kithmo states in his post, it is either water marks / stains left by the pre Wash spray they used at the local hand car wash place, or just plain water mark rings.
My guess is, that they are likely to be a white misshaped ring stain(s) of un-uniformed size and shape.
If so, I have seen these form on the paintwork of cars, that have been left in strong sun light to dry after they have been washed, without having the beads of water 💦 being towelled off after, by a micro fibre cloth etc.
When the beads of water are allowed to sit on the paint work to dry in strong sun light, it leaves these white rings on the paint work.
The affects can be worse in a hard water area.
It could be the chloride etc they put in the water ?.
When this happens, they can be difficult to remove.
This can be avoided if the bodywork has a good protective layer of your favoured wax / sealer / coating etc.
Applying these, reduces water beading on the car and therefore gaining the water spots.
Some of pre-wash produces, can be quite aggressive.
A relative had his car washed at the dealership after a annual service.
They washed the car for him, but the following day, he noticed that the plastic chrome effect number plate surrounds on his car, where stained to the point that he could not restore them !.
It turned out that the pre-wash had been allowed to “dwell” on the car for too long, before rising off with a jet wash.
In over 40 years of driving, I have never let anybody ( including the dealer ) wash any of my cars !.

Thanks for the suggestions so far fellas, keep em coming.
Here's what I've tried so far without success:
waterless wash - didn't touch it.
clay bar - no effect, although I did feel it dragging a bit as I used it.
Household cream cleaner (SWMBO's idea) - nothing
Meguires deep clean polish - nada
WD40 - seemed to work but the marks returned after it dried off.
I'm yet to try glass polish as I haven't found it in the garage yet.
Time to get more abrasive methinks.

This isn't very encouraging and is actually from an Audi forum but may apply:

"First, realize that this trim is NOT chrome, but rather an anodized aluminium. It usually has a polymer coating to resist UV and retain brightness, but not always. Also, unfortunately car-wash chemicals can be mis-aligned (too strongly mixed) and can easily attack this kind of material. It is usually an alkali (base) that creates the worst effects on aluminium. Also, it is VERY difficult to "clean" as it is not a surface dirt, but rather a surface etch that has occurred. That may mean some real metal working (polishing with aggressive metal polishes) to work out. Then you will have lost the polymer coatings and possibly the anodized finish as well. I've seen this so bad to require replacements (and if you can document it to the carwash, their insurance may help or even pay for the whole thing).

I'd try some milder polishes before things like vinegar (acid) or any more Formula 409 (it is already agressive to aluminum as are many 'wheel cleaners') type (monobutylether and caustic-based) cleaners. Anything with a pH above 7-8 will likely cause more problems than solve any of them with this kind of trim."

Another thread, suggesting you will struggle to get rid of it, assuming this is your problem.

So be sure to let us know, if you get something that works.

If you can't clean it up, do you think you would get anywhere with a warranty claim ?

Further thread with in depth discussion but with similar points made in the other threads. Happy reading.

Some luck indicated with Brasso apparently. Post 19
Post 47 promises the best results "...Take heart people, if you still have chrome staining or you get some in the future, there is a way to get rid of it. It's not a quick fix but it works....a metal polish (Autosol) together with a small polishing wheel..."

AFAIK warranty only cover trim for 12 months anyway.

Hi @Kithmo .
Sorry, But can you please confirm, which trim pieces you are trying to clean the stain rings from ?.
Is it the silver coloured plastic trims OR the high chrome plastic finish ( like on the front grill ) on the Gen1 version of the ZS EV ?.
I am now starting to get the feeling, we are talking about the high chrome finish 🤷‍♂️ .

Hi @Kithmo .
Sorry, But can you please confirm, which trim pieces you are trying to clean the stain rings from ?.
Is it the silver coloured plastic trims OR the high chrome plastic finish ( like on the front grill ) on the Gen1 version of the ZS EV ?.
I am now starting to get the feeling, we are talking about the high chrome finish 🤷‍♂️ .
The high gloss chrome, grill, door tops and caps and rear hatch on the 5 (the silver on the roof rails is fine). The worst affected are the door trims.
FWIW the chrome grill on my ZS is fine but there are some light markings on the door caps.

Thanks for the suggestions so far fellas, keep em coming.
Here's what I've tried so far without success:
waterless wash - didn't touch it.
clay bar - no effect, although I did feel it dragging a bit as I used it.
Household cream cleaner (SWMBO's idea) - nothing
Meguires deep clean polish - nada
WD40 - seemed to work but the marks returned after it dried off.
I'm yet to try glass polish as I haven't found it in the garage yet.
Time to get more abrasive methinks.
That line about WD40 nmade me think that the stain might not be something ON the trim but something missing from the trim: Its protective top layer (maybe eaten away by aggressive cleaners, solvent, bird poo, whatever). If this is the case, try a car wax or something like ACF-50 to see whether you can (partially) restore it.

Got same problem after car wash using AutoGlym product. Tried Mer polish without success so I guess I will just have to try some of those mentioned in this thread

That line about WD40 nmade me think that the stain might not be something ON the trim but something missing from the trim: Its protective top layer (maybe eaten away by aggressive cleaners, solvent, bird poo, whatever). If this is the case, try a car wax or something like ACF-50 to see whether you can (partially) restore it.
I've not tried a wax but I just tried a polymer polish and that didn't work. :confused:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom