Cleaning the MG ZS "engine bay"

Cleaning the engine bay is not as strange as it at first appears. I am a retired police officer and served many years on the traffic department, when undertaking driver training to progress to advanced level at the end of each day the car would be washed and leathered dry. At the end of the week a Friday afternoon was spent on a complete detailed cleaning of the car, this included cleaning the engine bay with proprietary degreasers and damp clothes. The engine bay would then be dried and every visible painted area would be polished, the reasons for this were to instill pride in your vehicle increase your awareness of the workings and maintenance of the engine and ancillaries and to be vigilant to any defects. This detail to maintenance included the wheels which were generally alloy would also be thoroughly cleaned and polished and in those days tailpipes were usually chrome and these to would be polished to a hig shine. The inside edges of doors and jams were also cleaned and polished and these are the things that I carry in doing to this say in my own cars, maybe not weekly but very often.

Cleaning the engine bay is not as strange as it at first appears. I am a retired police officer and served many years on the traffic department, when undertaking driver training to progress to advanced level at the end of each day the car would be washed and leathered dry. At the end of the week a Friday afternoon was spent on a complete detailed cleaning of the car, this included cleaning the engine bay with proprietary degreasers and damp clothes. The engine bay would then be dried and every visible painted area would be polished, the reasons for this were to instill pride in your vehicle increase your awareness of the workings and maintenance of the engine and ancillaries and to be vigilant to any defects. This detail to maintenance included the wheels which were generally alloy would also be thoroughly cleaned and polished and in those days tailpipes were usually chrome and these to would be polished to a hig shine. The inside edges of doors and jams were also cleaned and polished and these are the things that I carry in doing to this say in my own cars, maybe not weekly but very often.
A man after my own heart, The inside of doors jams, tailgate, bottom of sills, under/around bonnet edges are a regular on my cleaning list. A quick go over with the vacuum, and a clean of the glass and you feel like it's a new car.
A clean car is easier to work on and a dirty car is a rusty car.

Literally just cleaned this morning before I read this thread.
Car is 22 months from new and was a wee bit dusty and dirty under the bonnet.
A damp sponge with some silicone cleaner and a cloth in the bay , just some car wash to clean the grille top and inner wings that had got dirty. Also greased the bonnet latch and springs
20210731_132414.jpg

Beautiful. Pity you don't live closer in which case I wouldn't have deprived you from the joy of doing the same to mine.:D

Literally just cleaned this morning before I read this thread.
Car is 22 months from new and was a wee bit dusty and dirty under the bonnet.
A damp sponge with some silicone cleaner and a cloth in the bay , just some car wash to clean the grille top and inner wings that had got dirty. Also greased the bonnet latch and springs
View attachment 4223
Very nice.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom