Cold Footwell

It was @Srp111 not sure that Steve managed to get round to it, as I recall he planned on insulating the exposed bulkhead you can see if you get on your back under the steering column, it’s takes a bit of contortion to do that (for my aging frame anyhoo)

I did insulate under there and its made a huge difference the footwell is so much warmer and warms up quicker too.
Very simple just bought some thick fireproof wadding off ebay, cut a oblong piece out and shoved it up in the gap, tucking it into the corners, very quick and easy.

Last edited:
I did insulate under there and its made a huge difference the footwear is so much warmer and warms up quicker too.
Very simple just bought some thick fireproof wadding off ebay, cut a oblong piece out and shoved it up in the gap, tucking it into the corners, very quick and easy.
Do you have any pictures of what you did?

No there's nothing really to see other than white cotton , but I will try and take some tomorrow

Could you take a couple of pics of the material you used before it was fitted please. Ta

This is the stuff I bought, like Andy said if you look up under the steering wheel you can see daylight, just cut up a piece of this about a foot square and stuff it up there at the top tucking it in behind the trim.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the stuff I bought, like Andy said if you look up under the steering wheel you can see daylight, just cut up a piece of this about a foot square and stuff it up there at the top tucking it in behind the trim.

“Daylight”??? I’m concerned...what else can get in that gap???

Yep, look up under the dash and you can clearly see the bottom of the windscreen
So you can see the bottom of the windscreen okay but why is it cold, is there an airflow from outside? (thinking water ingress here or cold air and moisture build up)
Did I read somewhere the passenger side is okay? Maybe one of our left hand drive readers could check if its just the steering wheel side L or R.

So you can see the bottom of the windscreen okay but why is it cold, is there an airflow from outside? (thinking water ingress here or cold air and moisture build up)
Did I read somewhere the passenger side is okay? Maybe one of our left hand drive readers could check if its just the steering wheel side L or R.
It’s probably just the lack of insulation between the glass and your footwell as mine is cold, but it’s never been wet or damp or anything else.

Lovely, thanks. What weigh/thickness did you go with? It’s just that there are several in the listing you sent. Ta 👍

The fact that you can see daylight shining under the dash does no mean there is a passage to the outside of the car with a free passage of air flow !.
If there was, our cars would be full of water every time it rains !.
Just requires the addition of some installation by the sounds of it.
Should have been done at the factory really, but hey - there you go !.
There is probably a massive box of them on the production line, but nobody knows what they are for !.🤣

Hi - What weight size did you go for please ?.
Was it fine, or would go for a heavier size if you bought it again !.
Cheers.

I have some of this wadding in the garage that I picked up for my daughters sewing projects. :)

Took a quick video of the area, attached is a still.
Bare metal above the carpet.

Will have a measure later...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211-101052_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-101052_Video Player.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 192
I have some of this wadding in the garage that I picked up for my daughters sewing projects. :)

Took a quick video of the area, attached is a still.
Bare metal above the carpet.

Will have a measure later...
The job is done.

It isn't one continuous area and my sizes are approximate.
There are several areas above, to the left and right where there is bare metal or gaps.
They are located more by touch than by sight.

I ended up cutting a number of 30 cm squares which I rolled/folded and stuffed into the various gaps, making sure not to obstruct anything.
Also a 10 cm square and a 10 by 25 cm strip which I secured with double sided tape above and to the left of the steering column.

Hopefully I will feel a difference later. I may need to look at the passenger side as well.

The job is done.

It isn't one continuous area and my sizes are approximate.
There are several areas above, to the left and right where there is bare metal or gaps.
They are located more by touch than by sight.

I ended up cutting a number of 30 cm squares which I rolled/folded and stuffed into the various gaps, making sure not to obstruct anything.
Also a 10 cm square and a 10 by 25 cm strip which I secured with double sided tape above and to the left of the steering column.

Hopefully I will feel a difference later. I may need to look at the passenger side as well.

If it gets any colder we may need double glazing as well!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom