Cold Gate Distance and Charging 5th Dec

I really think that you should enjoy driving your EV and not worry too much about gentle acceleration and constantly be looking at range and consumption. The bottom line is that the car has a relatively small battery for it’s size. If the relatively limited range doesn’t suit your lifestyle then it may not be the car for you. Trying to squeeze more range out of the car I think detracts from the enjoyment of ownership. Personally, I’m fine with it, but if I was regularly doing longer trips it wouldn’t work for me. I drive the car normally and enjoy how it feels. I don’t wrap up in warm clothes, or freeze with minimum heating. I have air conditioning on when i need it and heated seats. I tend to accept that in winter i have a usable range of just over 100 miles. In warmer weather perhaps 140 miles.
Agree entirely, just enjoy the driving.

You seem to have read a lot into a simple message! :rolleyes: Having had the car for some while now I'm well aware of it's range, or lack thereof, and was simply enquiring as to the driving techniques of others.

I really think that you should enjoy driving your EV and not worry too much about gentle acceleration and constantly be looking at range and consumption. The bottom line is that the car has a relatively small battery for it’s size. If the relatively limited range doesn’t suit your lifestyle then it may not be the car for you. Trying to squeeze more range out of the car I think detracts from the enjoyment of ownership. Personally, I’m fine with it, but if I was regularly doing longer trips it wouldn’t work for me. I drive the car normally and enjoy how it feels. I don’t wrap up in warm clothes, or freeze with minimum heating. I have air conditioning on when i need it and heated seats. I tend to accept that in winter i have a usable range of just over 100 miles. In warmer weather perhaps 140 miles.
I'm not overly bothered about it

Well said and your exactly correct.

I guess that for some owning an EV is about energy awareness and conservation and therefore looking at efficiencies is all part of the experience regardless of whether you need to or not. Well it is for me anyway.

Yes I agree. I think it’s very interesting to look at how your car is performing. Getting the most from your EV can mean different things for different people.

New Poster here. I had a scheduled 1styear service at Brown & Gammons MG in Baldock yesterday for my ZS EV and can confirm that the BMS update has been pulled by MG so was not done. It was the first i'd heard of the issue (hence my investigation of the forum - very useful resource thanks guys). The dealership said that MG were aware of and looking into issues with range and to check back with them "in a couple of weeks" for an update of when it might be re-issued. For reference - my car had been averaging 4.1 m/KWh in summer and has been at 3.1 m/KWh since the cold weather, without the BMS update.
Updated: Got a call from my MG service manager yesterday (good customer service follow up by them btw) to confirm that MG has pulled the BMS update and not to expect a reissue for some time. June was mentioned but this may be off the cuff.

Updated: Got a call from my MG service manager yesterday (good customer service follow up by them btw) to confirm that MG has pulled the BMS update and not to expect a reissue for some time. June was mentioned but this may be off the cuff.
Can they reverse the update that was applied, uninstall it??

I am also having server range problems since the update where I'm now only getting a 70 mile range! I've taken it in to be looked at at the dealership and they have said that MG are issuing a new BMS update next Thursday and this could fix the problem. On my commute I start the journey with the range showing 140 miles, after a 35 mile drive it shows a remaining range of 70 miles. On the return journey, the range also reduces twice as much as the miles covered (I now have to stop to recharge before I get home). I always run in eco mode and on motorway sections do not exceed 65 mph.

I am also having server range problems since the update where I'm now only getting a 70 mile range! I've taken it in to be looked at at the dealership and they have said that MG are issuing a new BMS update next Thursday and this could fix the problem. On my commute I start the journey with the range showing 140 miles, after a 35 mile drive it shows a remaining range of 70 miles. On the return journey, the range also reduces twice as much as the miles covered (I now have to stop to recharge before I get home). I always run in eco mode and on motorway sections do not exceed 65 mph.
Let’s hope they fix this issue soon, not good at all.

I didn't note miles/kwh before taking the car to the garage and am picking it up tomorrow. The attached photos of the miles and range before and after a leg of my commute are attached and these are the ones I showed the garage. They did a similar drive and replicated the issue.
IMG-0756.jpg
IMG-0758.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom