• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Comfort Pack 2 Update MG ZS EV

Frank

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Good news and bad news. I just had a lengthy conversation with my MG dealer and good news, there is a software update now available in the UK that deals with temperature reading and various other bong issues and a faster boot up.

Bad news is that although the software update itself is free (I suppose) the installation of it, isn’t. My dealer will “if I decide to accept the mission” (software update)) charge me their hourly rate for the technician who will carry out the update. Unfortunately, he is not 100% sure how long is needed but whatever time it takes will be charged accordingly.

Now here is the bad bit, once the software update is completed there is NO RETURN to the previous software installation and if anything goes wrong with the car i.e. something does not work when it did under the old software then the fix is again at the owners cost.

I build my own computers and others probably do as well and we all know how things can go wrong after a software update, so one must consider the risk before doing this. He quoted an example to me where they carried out a BMS software update on a NEW MG ZS EV and after the update the car would not start.

So, in summary if the bongs and suchlike are unbearable and you need a faster boot up and the outside temperature and are willing to take the risk there is a software update available (think it’s called Comfort Pack 2).

Regards

Frank

Frank

Thanks for explaining the latest situation. On this info I think I’ll stick with the bongs as the car “as it is” is fine with me.

I wonder if that's the individual dealer line on things, or MG UK, as it sounds completely unacceptable. Especially as European buyers seem to be getting it for free without threat of no warranty cover if it screws up their cars!

In fact I've never heard anything quite like it, so they charge you to update the software written by the manufacturer for their product and if, due to either incompetent installation or ropy coding it doesn't work right, expect the owner to pay for putting it right? And they can't even give a price upfront? Unbelievable.

I'm livid, I really want outside temperature and it's just crazy running another thermistor and gauge when it's already there just waiting to be turned on. :(

Let's hope some more progressive dealers give better feedback in the coming weeks...

Last edited:
It could be my dealer, I am only passing on what was stated to me. I was not happy with it either. Speak to your dealers guys and see if they ALL have a united front on this (at your convenience).

Regards

Frank

I agree this isn’t really on, which dealer is it quoting this perhaps they are just trying to make more money out of you as surely it only needs to be plugged in to something and the system will do the rest. What other products charge for software updates, none that I know of these should be free. Perhaps it will differ from franchise to franchise, but I would raise it will MG head office and ask them if it’s right.

I have emailed MG head office via the contact us to gain their comments in the above post by Frank.
Frank which MG dealer do you use?

I contacted MG UK on their Facebook page this morning. The next to useless reply I got was this:

"This is the 2nd Generation of Comfort System Software, so please speak to your local MG dealer"

I replied that I wanted the official MG UK take on things, rather than individual dealers and so far no reply.

Frank, check that the charging port door is shut properly, give it a positive push shut after opening. There is no warning like the door open message but mine has a finite position for the port door.

I contacted MG UK on their Facebook page this morning. The next to useless reply I got was this:

"This is the 2nd Generation of Comfort System Software, so please speak to your local MG dealer"

I replied that I wanted the official MG UK take on things, rather than individual dealers and so far no reply.
I’ll share the response I receive from MG

you are to blame if you want to pay for it, SAIC has screwed up and has to replace the effort for the dealer - works in other countries as well ...

This thread makes disappointing reading, no one can be expected to pay for an update based on poorly designed code from conception and if it goes wrong then your on your own. Love the car and its just got a few problems regarding annoying quirks ! As for a one hour labour charge !! No wonder why we are unhappy with some parts of the dealer network and MG UK regarding some of their reactions to reworking issues, they should be collectively appologising to us all and asking us to return to the dealer for an update. Ah Well, lets see how it pans out!

Good news for some and maybe not for all...just spoke to my local service team who said they would install it for free once there hardware issue has been resolved; the technician said call in a couple of week and just book it in..

service@
Wed 03/06/2020 12:22
Hi,

Yes looks like a update is available.

Cost would be £90 inc vat to carry out.

Regards

Service Depts

Last edited:
Cut and paste of my dealers reply !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine said they would do it for free on this occasion, but need to wait a couple of weeks. Seems very hit and miss....

This would appear to be the definitive answer to the question, ie, Your on your own owners !!!!! " we (MG) got it wrong when we wrote the code" You don't like it, well, you can pay to have it upgraded and whilst we (MG) wont pay for it we will re write the code and rid the car of its annoying foibles we engineered in at conception, we still expect you to pay our network !!!!!!!!!!! I especially like the "Ever Evolving". lets look at the timeline here. This rewritten code and its development will have been conceived as a solution to an issue that MG SAIC saw many months ago. Having clearly , and very quietly watched their customer base grumble in blogs such as this, then decide to relase the upgraded code they developed months ago having soak tested it I hope, £90 in vat from my MG Dealer. We still Love the car, just massivly disapointed in the MG UK attitude to resolutions to these issues !.

Last edited:
[email protected]
Wed 03/06/2020 12:22
Hi,

Yes looks like a update is available.

Cost would be £90 inc vat to carry out.

Regards

Service Depts

Did you buy your car from them? I could understand (sort of) charging if you didn't, but otherwise it's a poor show. They are my local dealer also.

Last edited:
This would appear to be the definitive answer to the question, ie, Your on your own owners !!!!! " we (MG) got it wrong when we wrote the code" You don't like it, well, you can pay to have it upgraded and whilst we (MG) wont pay for it we will re write the code and rid the car of its annoying foibles we engineered in at conception, we still expect you to pay our network !!!!!!!!!!! I especially like the "Ever Evolving". lets look at the timeline here. This rewritten code and its development will have been conceived as a solution to an issue that MG SAIC saw many months ago. Having clearly , and very quietly watched their customer base grumble in blogs such as this, then decide to relase the upgraded code they developed months ago having soak tested it I hope, £90 in vat from my MG Dealer. We still Love the car, just massivly disapointed in the MG UK attitude to resolutions to these issues !.

Just read that letter, it's disgraceful. The dinosaurs need to take a leaf out of Tesla's book... I shall be writing to MG UK to let them know they have probably lost any future new car purchases from myself.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom