Common sense at last from NCAP ?

JonnyG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Just seen this article today. Hopefully it is the start of common sense returning to new cars !!

I don't think the MG4 is too bad on the whole compared to some of the new models coming out (Volvo, etc.. )

Lets hope those buttons include easy disabling of LKA etc, if wanted.

I agree, the MG4 really isn't bad at all for most things. I can usually avoid touching the screen when I'm driving if I set it up right on the pre-flight check. Of course that includes turning off the LKA every time because there is no way I want to go through that rigmarole to get rid of it while the car is jerking at the steering wheel.

I gather it gets even better with the new software updates, and I'm looking forward to getting R33 on my car for that reason among others. But even so I can control volume and track number on the stereo, and change temperature and fan speed, without taking my eyes off the road.

I have my doubts about them making LKA easier to turn off though. They seem absolutely hell bent on making it as hard to turn off as possible. Which of course simply means more people turning it off every time before they set off, so it's never on!

Don't count your chickens yet as it might end up worse for us. I had a similar update to my Mazda infotainment system which was to remove the ability to use the touchscreen whilst in motion for safety reasons, luckily it has got a decent rotary control knob and proper buttons to turn some of the features off but our mg4s don't!

Don't count your chickens yet as it might end up worse for us. I had a similar update to my Mazda infotainment system which was to remove the ability to use the touchscreen whilst in motion for safety reasons, luckily it has got a decent rotary control knob and proper buttons to turn some of the features off but our mg4s don't!
There's a lot to be said for a well-designed knob controller (no jokes please!) as an alternative to touch input, BMW used to do this well.

Just seen this article today. Hopefully it is the start of common sense returning to new cars !!

I don't think the MG4 is too bad on the whole compared to some of the new models coming out (Volvo, etc.. )

Lets hope those buttons include easy disabling of LKA etc, if wanted.

Unfortunately that isn't one of the 5 scenarios listed. :(

I was manoeuvring in an extremely tight spot the other day, took several forward and reverse squirts to turn the car around.
Remember thinking how convenient it was to use the MG's simple, well placed rotary controller and just concentrate on steering .
That and the heater and radio controls on the steering wheel make all the difference IMO, you should be able to control all of these by feel alone, so so much safer. Thankfully NCAP is at last taking notice.

Shame that they're going ahead with the truly awful 'driver alertness' spy in the cab bollox.
Mandatory now AFAIK. Looks like I'll be keeping the MG forever as I simply couldn't live with that system on a car, would totally ruin driving for me.

I reckon an awful lot of 'assist' stuff in there is just preparing the population for autonomous vehicles. It's getting us used to the idea of handing control over to the vehicle. I remember the good old days of climbing in a car, turning it on and driving it off without so much of anything having to be set first... sublime.

One of the things that really appeals to me about the new Renault 5 is you can store which safety systems you want to deactivate including LKA and turn them all off in one go using a special button on the steering wheel. They turn on every time you start the car but one button press and all off again!

Last edited by a moderator:
NCAP would be better focused on actually testing the autonomous braking and LKA features in their test cars and not just ticking the box that they are there.
They do ... but the tests are specific, controlled test scenarios that don't seem to take account of UK infrastructure.

One of the things that really appeals to me about the new Renault 5 is you can store which safety systems you want to deactivate including LKA and turn them all off in one go using a special button on the steering wheel.
The Fiat 500 e already have it from 2021's. The special button at the end of vinker rod. You just need to push it twice and LKA off...

.... good god common sense & MG.... dont spring to mind! - as noted the other night in the forums podcast (great show BTW - missed this for a few months (y) ), we dont even have an off button for the radio in any format!

They do ... but the tests are specific, controlled test scenarios that don't seem to take account of UK infrastructure.
Or Dutch infrastructure.
Beside that, if the manufacturer tells you to disable something immediately in specific circumstances, they should make this possible. The opposite is a fact.
So, if now it becomes clear that an increasing number of people get injured because they are distracted, it is 'a wise decision' to stuff all the buttons two layers deep in the car menu and keep it there...

Last edited:
I was hoping at least to have a default driver setting where it will save my preferences for non-safety related settings, like one pedal driving, TJA, etc.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back