Condensation

Adi6phil

Established Member
Reaction score
I have only had my ZS EV since mid October, so only autumn/winter weather. When i look on a morning ,all my neighours cars are clear and mine looks like a policeman needs to shine his torch in it .The heaters are great and melt any ice etc very well but the condensation on the inside glass is shocking.i wipe all glass inc sunroof as often as possible but the problem persists .as i am new to fully EV driving,i wondered if this is common on all EVs or just my ZS .can anyone shed any light on the situation.PS i love the car and if this has to be my daily routine then so be it ,i can live with it .never go back to petrol.

Hi, I had just been looking for an owners MG community when I came across your review. I too have had the same problem, particularly the rear window. I am keeping a dehumidifier container in the vehicle and although this has helped it is not long, at certain times and temperatures, when I mist up again. My husband wonders if it is because there is no engine to help warm the vehicle. My car is just 1 year old but last year we were away in the winter, unfortunately not so this year. Obviously no problem in the warmer weather. If anyone has a solution please let us know.

And dont forget on an ICE car, you have big lumps of metal that have heated up during use and slowly give off their heat...a bit like a storage heater.
(I am fortunate that my cars lives I a garage and I dont get any of this misting up stuff.)

Hi Adi6phil, I had that problem but I found that it happens when its on internal circulation instead of from outside the condensation builds up. I now only use internal if in traffic when all the ice cares are polluting the air !!
Same here not had condensation since I switched of the re-circulation. Had the same issue on my ICE.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies i never have circulation set to internal mode and have heater always on ,but i have noticed if you turn the heater off it goes to internal mode by default

Hi, I had just been looking for an owners MG community when I came across your review. I too have had the same problem, particularly the rear window. I am keeping a dehumidifier container in the vehicle and although this has helped it is not long, at certain times and temperatures, when I mist up again. My husband wonders if it is because there is no engine to help warm the vehicle. My car is just 1 year old but last year we were away in the winter, unfortunately not so this year. Obviously no problem in the warmer weather. If anyone has a solution please let us know.
I have found the heater and demisters to be poor in cold weather when in eco ,but i find a massive difference in normal drive mode .

I have two refreshable dehumidifier bags, a 1kg one on the dash and a 450g one on the rear parcel shelf which keep it clear for a while. What also helps is having the AC on with the heater to dry out the air.
I notice you said you wipe the windows and the sunroof, what do you do with the cloths, if you leave them in the car the moisture will go back into the air as the cloths dry out, a bit like a humidifier.

I have two refreshable dehumidifier bags, a 1kg one on the dash and a 450g one on the rear parcel shelf which keep it clear for a while. What also helps is having the AC on with the heater to dry out the air.
I notice you said you wipe the windows and the sunroof, what do you do with the cloths, if you leave them in the car the moisture will go back into the air as the cloths dry out, a bit like a humidifier.
Good point about leaving the cloths in the car ,i do like to take them out but usually after a few wipes. I guess a new one is neaded for each wipe . Cheers

I keep one of those little Karcher Window wipers in the car. Any condensation is swftly removed and sucked into the retaining water bottle attached. It will mist up again if left, but with the windscreen blower on it barely takes hold.

Just a squeegee would do the same job, except the condensation water goes onto the dashboard...

I keep one of those little Karcher Window wipers in the car. Any condensation is swftly removed and sucked into the retaining water bottle attached. It will mist up again if left, but with the windscreen blower on it barely takes hold.

Just a squeegee would do the same job, except the condensation water goes onto the dashboard...
I use a wiperblade with a handle on it and try to catch drips on a towel

Thanks for the replies i never have circulation set to internal mode and have heater always on ,but i have noticed if you turn the heater off it goes to internal mode by default
As does mine - don't know why but will try previous advise re the heating system as on full hot still not very hot especially on the legs but will try going to normal mode (which it defaults to anyway on startup).

Ik heb pas sinds half oktober mijn ZS EV gehad, dus alleen herfst / winterweer. Als ik op een ochtend kijk, zijn al mijn burenauto's helder en de mijne ziet eruit alsof een politieagent zijn fakkel erin moet laten schijnen. De kachels zijn geweldig en smelten ijs enz. Heel goed, maar de condensatie op het glas aan de binnenkant is schokkend. Ik veeg alle glazen inclusief schuifdak zo vaak mogelijk, maar het probleem blijft bestaan. aangezien ik nieuw ben met volledig elektrisch rijden, vroeg ik me af of dit gebruikelijk is op alle elektrische voertuigen of alleen op mijn ZS. kan iemand enig licht op de situatie werpen. ps ik hou van de auto en als dit mijn dagelijkse routine moet zijn, dan kan dat maar zo, ik kan ermee leven. Ga nooit meer naar benzine.

I have only had my ZS EV since mid October, so only autumn/winter weather. When i look on a morning ,all my neighours cars are clear and mine looks like a policeman needs to shine his torch in it .The heaters are great and melt any ice etc very well but the condensation on the inside glass is shocking.i wipe all glass inc sunroof as often as possible but the problem persists .as i am new to fully EV driving,i wondered if this is common on all EVs or just my ZS .can anyone shed any light on the situation.PS i love the car and if this has to be my daily routine then so be it ,i can live with it .never go back to petrol.
I noticed the same issue.... I think it came because the airco is used less than a normal car.

In warmer days you must open the window.. En with long trips.. Use more times the ac /heater..

And in the cold days i closed the screen from the panorama roof.

AC and heater are useless in Eco mode for demisting, put it in Normal mode.

The best thing is to keep the AC on the whole winter time. If you turn it on/off often then you are likely to end up with misty windows.
Unless you really are going to stretch your maximum range, then it is best to just keep the AC and some sort of heat on at all times.
A couple of dehumidifier bag's is also helpful, I have 3 laying in our car.

I got my new MG EV 3 months ago and it suffered badly with condensation. I wasn't happy with having to clear this constantly and played around trying every setting to see what would work best. Since turning off the internal recirc it's been in almost perfect. It's been 99% clear for the past month and especially in this weather it's still is clear, so very happy now. AC off but heater on pretty much for every journey which is a daily 70 miles all motorway, using a mix of eco and normal mode. I did buy some dehumidifier bags but so far haven't needed these.

Not just our cars, my bosses Astra was always misted up. It was painful watching her drive so I bought a dehumidifier bag - problem solved.
Likewise two neighbours also have cars misted up all the time, a Volvo and a Nissan.
My Auris isn't too bad but does take an age to demist in the winter

I bought some wind deflectors from the MGOC and these allow you to open the windows a little and let some air in without the rain coming in, it helps but mostly I leave the heater on. Does anyone think that the thickness of the glass may contribute to condensation? just guessing but to save weight the MG may have thinner glass than ICE cars, glass is heavy.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom