Courtesy EV compared to the MG4

MuzGB1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So my Trophy is in for it's first service today at 8,500 miles on the clock, they have listed four software updates to install. The courtesy car they've provided is a 21 plate Corsa EV, must be close to a range topper with all the features it has. It compares to my MG4 as below:

• Ride is generally smooth but bumps are felt more than in the MG4.
  • Road noise is much worse with a lot of rumble, could be poor quality tyres.
  • Lots more rattling inside the cabin, it is older then my MG4 but only has 13,000 miles on the clock.
  • The foot rest is set so far to the left that the centre console pushes my left to the right edge of the rest.
  • Cabin is nice and bright compared to the MG4 with good visibility all around.
  • Regen in B mode is not as high as the MG4 at level 3.
  • Not as much shiny black plastic inside so hides the finger prints better than the MG4
This was my first experience of driving another EV and I'm quite happy with the way the MG4 compares to a popular mainstream EV, I'd certainly not pick the Corsa over the MG4. Does anyone else have any experience they'd like to share?

I like the Corsa E, and it can be had amazingly cheaply.
If you’re looking for more general reports of driving other EVs, I’ve driven and/or owned plenty, but it could turn into a very long thread….

If you’re looking for more general reports of driving other EVs, I’ve driven and/or owned plenty, but it could turn into a very long thread….
I’d be interested in your ranking at least.

My work bought a Top of the range Corsa E and it cost em £37K!

I’d be interested in your ranking at least.

My ranking in terms of what though? 🤷‍♂️

In terms of grin factor it will take lot to beat my first ever EV, a first generation Leaf with a humble 110bhp and 90 mile range.
EVs were rare then, so the shock factor when I drove it hard and hassled ICE cars was a proper giggle and i could turn up at several Aberdeen carparks knowing full well I’d get an EV-only parking space.
Those days are gone, people know EVs can shift and just don’t even try any more, and carparks are full of the bloody things! 😂

In terms of best all round package my Cupra Born is the winner.
Well built, ace looking interior, plenty of kit, amazing efficiency and a great drive.
The fabled haptic buttons don’t bother me a single bit and the buggy software many moan about has escaped me as I’ve always been on the latest version (which is being rolled out to earlier users now)
Ace service from the dealer, a hamper of lovely food and drink just because I had to put it in for one day to get a software update to, wait for this…stop the ambient lights in the cabin defaulting back to red 😂
Imagine getting that as an apology for such a trivial fault, when MG gave me sweet FA for months of hassle in my MG4… 😔
Night and day service, I feel like I’m in a premium product and am being treated as such.
If I had criticism I’d like to get rid of the different user profiles which mean I have to confirm it’s me driving the car and press ‘ok’ every journey.
One driver profile should mean no need to confirm it’s me.

I leased a Hyundai Ioniq 38Kwh for two years to see how I could live with an EV. It's drive was reasonable, handling quite good and acceleration meh. Miles per KW/h was very good
Interior was fine but a bit bland along with how the car looked. Know as the cockroach by some.
However, It reminded me of Lizz Truss... "It just works"... but uninspiring.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911-212017.png
    Screenshot_20230911-212017.png
    832 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20230911-212340.png
    Screenshot_20230911-212340.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
Wish I'd never looked so many good deals out there.

Brand new ID3's with heat pumps £31k, id4 s £34k

Meganes £34k, byd attos £33k and my personal favourite deal Skoda enyaqs at £35k.

What a difference a year makes

Bit of balance MG 4 Trophy £29700

X power £34.5k

So many decent deals

I also had a Corsa E while my SE SR was being serviced a couple of weeks ago.

Agree with most of the OPs comments - noisy at low speed, thought it felt cramped and cabin not much different quality wise but did like the bit of colour on the seat fabric as opposed to the all black in the MG. Didn't like the forward view as felt the rearview mirror obscured a lot (I am 6'2") of the view.

Overall would not swap it and was glad to be rid of it.

More details please... what was so much worse ?

Poky wee car, too small for my general needs. Impossible to get a comfortable driving position where I could see the driver's screen - you have to look over
the steering wheel. Fussy interior and fussy controls. General feeling of being cramped.

No fun to drive. Drove like a basic Fiesta. But its radio sounded good, I'll give it that.

Poky wee car, too small for my general needs. Impossible to get a comfortable driving position where I could see the driver's screen - you have to look over
the steering wheel. Fussy interior and fussy controls. General feeling of being cramped.

No fun to drive. Drove like a basic Fiesta. But its radio sounded good, I'll give it that.
Thanks, I had the manual petrol version given to me as a courtesy car. I found the similar and did not like the infotainment system, too simple and awkward to use at the same time. I thought it handled fine (but then it had an engine in it, so maybe more planted on the road) but the interior did feel cramped as you say and I am not a fan of Vauxhall's interior design.

The instruments being ‘over’ the wheel has been a Peugeot thing for a while.
Criticising it for being small is harsh though, that’s not a ‘fault’ as it’s not designed to compete with the MG4.

I leased a Hyundai Ioniq 38Kwh for two years to see how I could live with an EV. It's drive was reasonable, handling quite good and acceleration meh. Miles per KW/h was very good
Interior was fine but a bit bland along with how the car looked. Know as the cockroach by some.
However, It reminded me of Lizz Truss... "It just works"... but uninspiring.
Funnily enough I’m looking at “downgrading” my mg4 and getting into a cheap one of these ( to get £7k ish back into my bank account )

I like the MG4 especially the way it drives. but I’m concerned about how quick some EV’s are depreciating ( such as corsa’s, MG5’s etc )

I’m not expecting the ioniq to drive aswell, but to match the MG4 in all over areas ( and beat it in regards to infotainment and adaptive cruise control ) would you say that’s accurate ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back