Courtesy EV compared to the MG4

Yes, it was fine as a courtesy car, but when I had a Peugeot it was a 300 series. That was my first "larger" car, mainly to get the air-conditioning, but I'd never go back.

The instruments being ‘over’ the wheel has been a Peugeot thing for a while.
Criticising it for being small is harsh though, that’s not a ‘fault’ as it’s not designed to compete with the MG4.

I did check the price though, and it was considerably more expensive than the MG4.

I had a petrol 108 as a holiday hire car last week and that was truly horrible.

I drove the following EV’s on test drives -

Niro EV - seamed very capable, but didn’t like the look of the car and felt it was a “old persons” car

Ioniq 5 - this was the car I had my heart set on, super cool looks ( in my opinion ) but the interior / switchgear felt very low rent for the price and ultimately didn’t feel like a £45k + car.

ID3 - drove well, prefer the looks to the MG4, hated the stupid capacitive buttons everywhere ( even the sun roof and reading lights are the same ) interior also felt cheap, such a massive downgrade in quality compared to our MK7 Golf which we still have

Tesla Model 3 - loved basically everything about this car, its extremely well equipped as standard, very efficient, actually felt worth the £40k asking price. However the ride, steering and generally way it drove was poor compared the MG4.

Basically my ideal car would be a Tesla that drives and rides like a MG4 ( maybe the BMW i4 is this car, but that’s £50k !!!!! )

Yes, it was fine as a courtesy car, but when I had a Peugeot it was a 300 series. That was my first "larger" car, mainly to get the air-conditioning, but I'd never go back.

I did check the price though, and it was considerably more expensive than the MG4.

I had a petrol 108 as a holiday hire car last week and that was truly horrible.
Pick up an e208 brand new cheaper than an SR mg4 now

Funnily enough I’m looking at “downgrading” my mg4 and getting into a cheap one of these ( to get £7k ish back into my bank account )

I like the MG4 especially the way it drives. but I’m concerned about how quick some EV’s are depreciating ( such as corsa’s, MG5’s etc )

I’m not expecting the ioniq to drive aswell, but to match the MG4 in all over areas ( and beat it in regards to infotainment and adaptive cruise control ) would you say that’s accurate ?
Yes, the infotainment system was flawless plus the efficiency of the car is one of the best on the market. Build quality of the interior and the car in general is good. Adaptive cruise control worked very well and is accessible via buttons on the steering wheel.
The acceleration of the car is not as fast as the MG4 but adequate, the handling is good. All in all it is a safe bet, No frills but it certainly behaves and does the job it says it will just fine.
First service was £64, second was £184.
If you are looking for a second hand one, make sure it has had the coolant change recall done. Apparently the old coolant would crystallise under certain conditions.

Pick up an e208 brand new cheaper than an SR mg4 now

Going to look at one (and a corsa-e) with our 20YO who currently drives a 2021 Polo.
Definite contenders at this sort of money.
These are the sorts of cars that will get youngsters into EVs at the right price.
The MG4 is just too fuddy duddy for young’uns at any price.

Realy liked the Peugeot e-2008 GT, it was quiet compared to the MG4, a bit slower but drives nice. Cosy interior and everything worked as intended. So why did I end up in the more expensive 4 you say? The stupid Stelantis group did not make it so I could get a tow hitch on it, thats why. And even if the 4 only have 500kg max towing capacity it's just about enough 80% of the time, most of the rest my old 07 diesel Auris will cope with.

Do I regret buying the 4? No it's a good drive (It's more of a GT car, not a real fast hatch) and as it's a Luxury/Trophy it drives far and charges very fast, I actually sit ok in it (usualy does not in most cars at 6ft,3) and it eats miles like nothing.

If I could change one thing only in the 4 it would be the ACC, I would rather have a standard CC as it drives me mad when it slows down in curves (rural Norway is made of curves) and make passengers feeling ill. Most every other car maker gets the ACC right why not MG?

I use CC or in the 4 ACC constantly to keep speeding tickets away (In Norway they are very very expensive and comes with "dots" on your driver licence on top) as the 4 have a tendency to creep up in the way to fast for government liking speeds without me or the passengers noticing it at all (as long I am driving and not that stupid ACC upsetting the car in mid curves that is) the ACC stays on most of the time but it's hideous. So please MG, kill that curve slow down in ACC mode and let that bee for the TJA only.

Now i'm interested, that's not how I see the car at all, in fact quite the opposite, but then I'm not a 20YO 😁 .... What makes you, or 'young'uns' see it as old fashioned, fussy etc ?

I have a 20YO and work with youngsters.
It’s just not a car that appeals to them, the boring colour schemes etc
The badge doesn’t hold any cache either.

I have a 19yr old and 17yr old and both quite liked it from the front but thought it was ugly the further back it goes.

The oldest came on the two test drives I had and as most youngsters are, he's a bit of a tech head and he commented on how crap he thought the operating system was, laggy, unintuitive etc

Being younger, and having no awareness of MG from when they made small sports cars, both said why are you buying an MG do they just not make cheap cars.

I can see why it doesn't appeal to younger people

I have a 19yr old and 17yr old and both quite liked it from the front but thought it was ugly the further back it goes.

The oldest came on the two test drives I had and as most youngsters are, he's a bit of a tech head and he commented on how crap he thought the operating system was, laggy, unintuitive etc

Being younger, and having no awareness of MG from when they made small sports cars, both said why are you buying an MG do they just not make cheap cars.

I can see why it doesn't appeal to younger people

Yeah, a tough one for MG to get past, they all seem to want the badge of Audi/VW and the likes of the corsa is a name synonymous with youngsters.
MG may just have to face it they their market is ‘middle aged’ (I’m in that bracket for sure)

Yeah, a tough one for MG to get past, they all seem to want the badge of Audi/VW and the likes of the corsa is a name synonymous with youngsters.
MG may just have to face it they their market is ‘middle aged’ (I’m in that bracket for sure)
Maybe MG should hand out branded flat caps instead of baseball hats at trade shows, then? :sneaky:

Top reply, just what I wanted to hear.

Yeah I read about the coolant crystallising issue / recall, so will make sure that’s been done / will be done.

I’ve got a test drive in one tonight so will see how I get on.

Top reply, just what I wanted to hear.

Yeah I read about the coolant crystallising issue / recall, so will make sure that’s been done / will be done.

I’ve got a test drive in one tonight so will see how I get on.
Great, enjoy it, hope it goes well.

Speak for yourself, I’ll quite happily put a baseball cap on and spit some bars.
Best of both worlds then...

baseballcap.gif

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums