Creak in rear/boot

TimB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Good morning,
My MG4 Trophy is 7 months old and has developed a creak in the rear/boot.
This does not happen on smooth roads, just on uneven country lanes.
It seems to be if the car flexes causes the creak.
I have been all around the rear of the car pressing and prodding but everything seems to fit well.
Does anybody esle have the same creak? or have a cure.

TIA

Tim

I have a creak as well ( in addition to a whistle at high speeds and a heat sensitive spoiler :-( )

The spoilers due to be replaced soon so I think the hope is that will cure all. We'll see....

I adjusted the bump stops on the tailgate corners by rotating them 90 degrees, easing out a few millimetres and turning them back again.

1697287300572.png

I have a creak as well ( in addition to a whistle at high speeds and a heat sensitive spoiler :-( )

The spoilers due to be replaced soon so I think the hope is that will cure all. We'll see....
I too have a heat sensitive spoiler. Been waiting 7 weeks for a replacement. Now booked in to be swapped out. Allegedly.

It is definatly the boot, by grabbing it and waggling I can replicate the noise.
Have greased all contact points and ajusted bump stops, it still creaks.
I will persevere.

@Lovemyev That was the first thing i tried along with all the tools etc.

Try cleaning all the rubber seals and coating with a rubber dressing such as Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl Care.

VW Golf owners suffered creaking rear doors and this was generally the cause. Avoiding waxes and silicones around all door and boot seals helped plus a decent rubber dressing.

It may not be the cause with you but worth trying and ruling it out 👍

I adjusted the bump stops on the tailgate corners by rotating them 90 degrees, easing out a few millimetres and turning them back again.

View attachment 20826

My one was creaking and rattling, drove me bloody nuts.
It would fall silent if moved the car with the hatch open so at least that helped narrow it down.

Adjusting the little pegs to their fully extended position didn't really do it but gluing a couple of thin rubber washers to them helped greatly.
Still had a rattle but wrapping some tape around the steel loop on the boot lip that the hatch catch closes on to silenced this too.
Does make me wonder about the torsional rigidity of this car, creaking like an old galleon at a few months old :(

My Trophy has a creak in the boot area which only happens when I turn left at a particular junction. The turn has different cambers in each road and I had formed the opinion that it was linked to a twisting action as the car turned. I have been monitoring it but so far the creak has stayed constant. It does not happen with road humps when driving off-centre in a straight line.

Today I have removed any previous chemicals with IPA and applied autoglym rubber and vinyl care,
still no joy.
also removed the rubber bump stops and the two guide blocks from the boot lid.
It still creaks without these contact points fitted.
Any more ideas?

Today I have removed any previous chemicals with IPA and applied autoglym rubber and vinyl care,
still no joy.
also removed the rubber bump stops and the two guide blocks from the boot lid.
It still creaks without these contact points fitted.
Any more ideas?
You could try a generous application of grease to the lock . Sometimes when the lock and locking point get dry they can cause what you are describing. Worth a try.

It is definatly the boot, by grabbing it and waggling I can replicate the noise.
Have greased all contact points and ajusted bump stops, it still creaks.
I will persevere.

@Lovemyev That was the first thing i tried along with all the tools etc.
Have you been able to replicate the noise with the boot lid open? Might help you narrow it down

I have experienced something similar.

I've been unable to narrow down the actual cause. It was still happening with the back seats down and the parcel shelf removed.

i kinda fiddled around with the inside of the boot lid, pressing, prodding etc and the noise has stopped at least for the time being anyway.

I have a low pitched whistle at about 65mph. When you say 'sensitive spoiler', can you elaborate please. i.e which spoiler ?

Bingo, fixed it.
AndyL61 was correct, it was the boot catch. A wrap of insulating tape has cured the problem.
Thanks for all your help.

Tim
At least you have found the problem !.
Over time the tape will wear away, then the receiver requires adjusting slightly, in order to add a little more tension on the catch if the problem returns.

Bingo, fixed it.
AndyL61 was correct, it was the boot catch. A wrap of insulating tape has cured the problem.
Thanks for all your help.

Tim
I have the same issue. If it's caused by the same thing I might give this a go. Have you a pic of what you did?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back