Cruise control

Alex1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Can one turn off the Adaptive cruise control so it is just on manual operation that can increase or decrease speed levels in increments of 1 mph instead of 5 mph and not have the radar Influence which causes problems on bends on A roads.

Can one turn off the Adaptive cruise control so it is just on manual operation that can increase or decrease speed levels in increments of 1 mph instead of 5 mph and not have the radar Influence which causes problems on bends on A roads.

You can't turn the radar part off. I find pressing the accelerator if it starts to brake corrects the situation if it is braking when it doesn't need to. The sensitivity can be turned down too from memory.

You could look at the speed limiter mode rather than cruise control, and that can use road signs to inform the car of the limit.

You can use the left joystick (left/right) to decrease/increase the "safe" distance to the vehicle in front (it has 3 levels) when ACC/TJA is activated. (I think it just needs to be selected/available - it doesn't need to be engaged/on).

Set the adaptive part to one of the three bars which if you let it will allow your MG to run up close to the car in front.
I agree it's no use on roads with bends. The first time I used it was on a motorway and it suddenly braked down from 55 to 40 mph almost causing a rear end shunt. I've done some experimenting with it and it did this as I had the three bars of the adaptive setting on and the car detected the concrete wall straight ahead of a flyover I was traversing. It's ok on quiet motorway journeys but due to the needless braking turn it off on moderate to busy traffic and when there are notable bends in road.

I have to admit that I use ACC a lot ... even around town. It's a great way of ensuring you remain at the speed limit (which is why the 5 mph increments are really useful IMHO) and/or in the flow of traffic (if the flow is slower than the limit). I tend to set the sensitivity to 2 normally, and 1 around town. (Default is always 3 when starting the car).

It’s to my constant dismay that new cars only come with active cruise and not just traditional cruise.
I bloody despise active cruise and why was amply demonstrated last weekend.
Down to Glasgow and back in a car that even on the farthest ACC setting was slowing the car down far too soon.
Same journey following day in our 2020 Evoque with normal cruise, much better.
Nice and smooth and able to hold the chosen speed without interference.
Lovely. 😎

Its to my constant dismay that ACC didn't become prevalent sooner. In my old XF with standard cruise, it was basically useless on most journeys; we don't travel at midnight so traffic exists on the motorways, meaning that you were constantly playing with buttons to follow the traffic (keeping at 70 and overtaking is usually not an option as you need to monitor traffic instead of just pulling into a faster lane), which was basically more faff than just using the damn pedal

Now with the ACC in the Exclusive PHEV, motorway journeys are much more relaxing, i can simply set to 70 and it does its thing. If i come across a car that going to slow, i can simply change lanes and the car will accelerate for me, If im starting to come accross a car and need to intervene, i can simple use the accelerator pedal without canceling the system. if it choose I can also activate MG pilot which does a cracking job of following the motorway. Ill never forget when there was a massive traffic jam at 3-5 mph and the car could simple follow the traffic ahead, turning what would normally be hell into a "oh well"

Each to there own.

For @Alex1985 situation with twisty bends where the system slows i recommend

-Overriding with accelerator temporarily
-Trial using the speed limiter and see how that works for you

Does the acc set the speed according to road signs the camera picks up? Or is it only the speed limiter that does that?

My Leon does it really well. I can set acc when I set off and just let it do it’s thing

It's a pity it doesn't have a speed limiter. I found that much more useful around town and congested motorways than ACC.

Its to my constant dismay that ACC didn't become prevalent sooner. In my old XF with standard cruise, it was basically useless on most journeys; we don't travel at midnight so traffic exists on the motorways, meaning that you were constantly playing with buttons to follow the traffic (keeping at 70 and overtaking is usually not an option as you need to monitor traffic instead of just pulling into a faster lane), which was basically more faff than just using the damn pedal

Now with the ACC in the Exclusive PHEV, motorway journeys are much more relaxing, i can simply set to 70 and it does its thing. If i come across a car that going to slow, i can simply change lanes and the car will accelerate for me, If im starting to come accross a car and need to intervene, i can simple use the accelerator pedal without canceling the system. if it choose I can also activate MG pilot which does a cracking job of following the motorway. Ill never forget when there was a massive traffic jam at 3-5 mph and the car could simple follow the traffic ahead, turning what would normally be hell into a "oh well"

Each to there own.

For @Alex1985 situation with twisty bends where the system slows i recommend

-Overriding with accelerator temporarily
-Trial using the speed limiter and see how that works for you

Give drivers the choice to switch the active part off and make it normal cruise though.

It's a pity it doesn't have a speed limiter. I found that much more useful around town and congested motorways than ACC.

@Ian Key Is this not what you are looking for, or is it similar feature?

Attachments

• IMG_3036.png
    IMG_3036.png
    877.4 KB · Views: 143
Does the acc set the speed according to road signs the camera picks up? Or is it only the speed limiter that does that?

My Leon does it really well. I can set acc when I set off and just let it do it’s thing

The ACC speed is set by the driver;
if you press the left centre joystick down, it sets the cruise at whatever speed you're doing (e.g 38mph) and will then stay a certain distance away from the vehicle in front -

moving the left joystick left/right will decrease/increase this distance.

To increase/decrease speed to the nearest round-5mph (e.g 35/40mph) press the left joystick up/down.

To increase/decrease ACC speed in 1mph increments, hold the left joystick up/down until it has reached your desired speed (e.g 42mph)

IMO the UK road network isn't ready for automatic speed limit recognition, as the car often picks up speed signs that are for the nearest slip road etc.

IMO the UK road network isn't ready for automatic speed limit recognition, as the car often picks up speed signs that are for the nearest slip road etc.
Where I Iive the majority of roads are 20 mph but some of the main roads are 30, however when travelling along a 30 road, the car will flash up a 20 when approaching one of the 20 mph roads without even seeing a sign.

Unless the camera can see the 20 signs which are at right angles to the main road, viewable as you turn in to the roads, I’m wondering if is has some sort of database as I have no idea how it’s seeing these signs.

I mostly love cruise control, most of my trips are on a 110 kph freeway.

It does a few things that I find not brilliant but am pretty much used to them.

If I set the speed limit to 110 then my car will do 110 to 113 on a dead flat road, so I deal with that by clicking the button on the lower stick at 107 or 108 as the car is accelerating, then it seldom goes above 110.

The follow me effectively only sees the car in front, so it can't anticipate changes from the brake lights in front of the car your following. It also can't anticipate the idiots that jump into the gap in front of you.

So no sleeping on the job.

I give it an 8 out of 10.

I don't really like the adaptive part of the MG4's cruise control. I find it slows too dramatically when it comes up behind people and is slow to resume. Like bowfer, I much prefer non-adaptive cruise control that I can flick on and off exactly when I want to.
Set the distance bars lower.

I like to leave a big space in front of me (which means Audis often move into my stopping distance zone) but even for me with the default, the MG4 brakes too early. On two bars, it brakes less aggressively and it seems like a smoother ride.

Slow to resume is fine by me. You can't drive through other cars anyway.

Set the distance bars lower.
That doesn't work because then it drives too close. I much prefer managing that myself - the car doesn't get it right for me.
I like to leave a big space in front of me (which means Audis often move into my stopping distance zone) but even for me with the default, the MG4 brakes too early. On two bars, it brakes less aggressively and it seems like a smoother ride.
Yes, I've played with the distance options but none of them are quite right for me.
Slow to resume is fine by me. You can't drive through other cars anyway.
It isn't about driving through other cars - I mean when I pull out to pass it takes too long to realise and increase the speed. Yes, I can manually accelerate but then I might as well manually control the speed too.

All I would like is a non-adaptive mode.

Hi Tom I totally agree with you last comment non adaptive CC on the 4 and the 5 for that matter I had a early MG5 SR it had a basic straight forward cruise control you set the speed and it held it there until you changed it no issues this adaptive CC is a joke at times slowing you down braking when there is no need I hate it so much I have all but give over using it at all
The other bad thing is when it does decide it’s going to slow you it applies the actual brakes when very often regen braking would do. MG Pilot and N-Cap forget about both might save on brake wear and a couple of grand on the cost in the first place.
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel