Cruise control

I don't really like the adaptive part of the MG4's cruise control. I find it slows too dramatically when it comes up behind people and is slow to resume. Like bowfer, I much prefer non-adaptive cruise control that I can flick on and off exactly when I want to.
I find that too. Also, when it does decide to speed up, it does so rather enthusiastically! It doesn't make for a smooth ride. I tend to use ACC when the road is fairly clear or the traffic is flowing well and then turn it off when it starts being too intrusive. I've tried different distance settings and none of them make it to my liking.

The other bad thing is when it does decide it’s going to slow you it applies the actual brakes when very often regen braking would do.
MG4 uses regen to slow down in ACC - unless it needs to brake of course.
But on the whole the MG ACC is a very poor experience compared with my last car.

MG4 uses regen to slow down in ACC - unless it needs to brake of course.
But on the whole the MG ACC is a very poor experience compared with my last car.

What was your last car?
I’ve tried ACC in various cars and found it pish in them all, no one make performed any better than the other.
I’ve no clue about my born as I’ve never tried it and no desire to do so.

Hmmm, damn
It was a VAG (VW) van/minibus thing I was in last week and it behaved exactly as per the others I’ve tried, no better (or worse)

I apologize for my snarky comment earlier - was being stupid

As you say, best of both worlds would be giving the driver the choice

I would trial it in your Cupra though, even if you never try it again - on the right roads (dual carriageway, motorway and major A roads) it makes for quite a relaxing drive.

If that doesn't work out, try using the speed limiter on and see how that behaves. I find it gives a identical operation to standard cruise, with the limitation of having to keep your foot on the pedal

It much easier to use on the Cupra also, with the mode button to switch to the speed limiter being right on the left hand steering wheel control.

I've heard the MG4 has a wildly different system to the HS (which uses a bosch/mobileye system) - How well the manufacture has integrated and calibrated these features makes a difference.

Can one turn off the Adaptive cruise control so it is just on manual operation that can increase or decrease speed levels in increments of 1 mph instead of 5 mph and not have the radar Influence which causes problems on bends on A roads.
Here’s what the manual says about going from 5 to 1 mph increments.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpeg
    IMG_3016.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 79
Hmmm, damn
It was a VAG (VW) van/minibus thing I was in last week and it behaved exactly as per the others I’ve tried, no better (or worse)
I did tweak the radar alignment slightly myself as it wasn't perfect, and adjusted the ACC so it would undertake - useful when the m.way is busy. The wonders of ODB11 - I miss it!

The ACC speed is set by the driver;
if you press the left centre joystick down, it sets the cruise at whatever speed you're doing (e.g 38mph) and will then stay a certain distance away from the vehicle in front -

moving the left joystick left/right will decrease/increase this distance.

To increase/decrease speed to the nearest round-5mph (e.g 35/40mph) press the left joystick up/down.

To increase/decrease ACC speed in 1mph increments, hold the left joystick up/down until it has reached your desired speed (e.g 42mph)

IMO the UK road network isn't ready for automatic speed limit recognition, as the car often picks up speed signs that are for the nearest slip road etc.
Thanks for the info, thats a bit annoying. I find the intelligent ACC on my Seat Leon works perfectly, uses a combination of GPS map speed limit data and road signs. as i said i can set it when i reach the first bit of "A" road that is 80/100 km/h and it slows down as it approaches a village for 50/60 then speeds back up.

If the system on the MG allows it to do this for speed limiter then i wonder why they didnt do it for ACC also.

Can one turn off the Adaptive cruise control so it is just on manual operation that can increase or decrease speed levels in increments of 1 mph instead of 5 mph and not have the radar Influence which causes problems on bends on A roads.
Sadly, you can't. Most settings are temporary to comply with the cars NCAP rating, so everything starts at maximum. You can hold the left lever up or down until the desired speed is reached, but tou h it again sets speed to the nearest 5mph, as you've experienced. Reducing the regeneration setting to the middle reduces the harsh braking effect, and I think that stops the brake lights from continuously coming on.

Can one turn off the Adaptive cruise control so it is just on manual operation that can increase or decrease speed levels in increments of 1 mph instead of 5 mph
Although it doesn't work very well, if you move the left thumbstick up or down and hold it there (instead of the flick up or down) the ACC speed starts going up in 1s. It's a bit of a knack and not brilliant (easy to add/subtract more than you meant, or jump 5mph) but may be worth knowing?

ACC is really for motorway or dual carriage ways. There are too many 'distractions' that the radar picks up for use on A roads.

ACC is really for motorway or dual carriage ways. There are too many 'distractions' that the radar picks up for use on A roads.
My first MG5 SR had cruise control as did my previous 3/4 cars before that,and it I found was very useful when driving in areas unknown to me on any type of roads just set a speed anywhere from 20-70 mph and it kept you there so no worries about breaking the local speed limits when in them type of areas but not ACC as I now have on my currant MG5 or the wife’s four only place I might and it’s a big might use it is on motorways they can do things like braking when there’s no need for it.
Les.

So, I think that 50% of you would like the option to have conventional cruise as well as ACC, how does one go about requesting a change to the software, I appreciate that is a long term thing as it does not happen at a push of a button.
You would then satisfy both camps!

So, I think that 50% of you would like the option to have conventional cruise as well as ACC, how does one go about requesting a change to the software, I appreciate that is a long term thing as it does not happen at a push of a button.
You would then satisfy both camps!

I’m not sure any manufacturer that gives ACC offers the option of switching it off and using it in a traditional cruise manner.
It’s an all or nothing scenario.
if you hate ACC as I do, only option is to just not use it.
Thankfully we still have a car with traditional cruise for longer journeys.
The future of motoring really sucks as far as I’m concerned. 😔

ACC that works properly would be nice :) I used it all the time on my Golf, but v. rarely on the MG.

When it works nicely, I much prefer it over traditional cruise.

I haven't had the need to use it yet but assumed that you could set a speed which it would keep until you came up behind someone. That seems reasonable, and that you would need to 'manually overtake (if there is the opportunity). Once there is nobody ahead again don't you just set the cruise speed again?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back