"Current energy consumption trends" graph always blank

iPaul

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi,

Does anybody else have the issue with the energy consumption graph not populating with data as you drive? This is how the display on my MG4 Trophy always looks:

Graph.jpg

Has anyone who has experienced this problem managed to get a fix it for it, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Paul

How many miles have you done in your new car? Is it because of lack of sufficient data?

Well I've racked up just over 3,000 miles now, so hopefully that would be enough to draw some conclusions from
Ha ha - yes, just about! Has it never worked?

Hi,

Does anybody else have the issue with the energy consumption graph not populating with data as you drive? This is how the display on my MG4 Trophy always looks:

View attachment 14748

Has anyone who has experienced this problem managed to get a fix it for it, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Paul
Hi Paul

I have a Trophy and my display is exactly the same. Now clocked up 1000 miles and it has never plotted anything on this screen. Some journeys have been 170 miles in a stint, so you would expect it to have plotted something by now.

Perhaps you have to do more than 250 miles in one trip before it plots something. In which case it wont happen for some months 🤣 if ever!

I am on version R30 software and i expect that you will be also. I have seen someone on this forum with version R33. Maybe the next version(s) will sort it.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon. I have no idea what software version I am on. My car is back in the dealers yet again while they try and get both the camera and radar modules working simultaneously. They can get one or the other to work, but not both at once. After installing and reinstalling a bunch of patches recommend by MG in a variety of different orders, they are now waiting for a replacement part, which will hopefully solve that issue.

Thanks Simon. I have no idea what software version I am on. My car is back in the dealers yet again while they try and get both the camera and radar modules working simultaneously. They can get one or the other to work, but not both at once. After installing and reinstalling a bunch of patches recommend by MG in a variety of different orders, they are now waiting for a replacement part, which will hopefully solve that issue.
This seems to be a common problem: different modules from different suppliers on different versions interfering with each other. Others have reported problems if the car doesn't start up in the right sequence. Replacing the part is often what they end up doing, fine if fixes it but I think most of the time that is just because a new part has a more recent software version on it.

To be fair to MG, it must be a nightmare trying to integrate all the different systems from different suppliers, with each releasing new versions of their software every few weeks. Tesla went a different way: dumb components and one central system, which seems to be superior, but no other manufacturer has yet had the software chops to go that way.

I have same issue with my LR Trophy, not shown anything and thought it was because I'd only done 400mile in total :) my software is R30 at the moment

My Trophy has never shown anything there either. I vaguely remember someone on here saying that the graph only works at the moment on SE models, but not on Trophy, but I can't remember where I read this.

This seems to be a common problem: different modules from different suppliers on different versions interfering with each other. Others have reported problems if the car doesn't start up in the right sequence. Replacing the part is often what they end up doing, fine if fixes it but I think most of the time that is just because a new part has a more recent software version on it.

To be fair to MG, it must be a nightmare trying to integrate all the different systems from different suppliers, with each releasing new versions of their software every few weeks. Tesla went a different way: dumb components and one central system, which seems to be superior, but no other manufacturer has yet had the software chops to go that way.
It's a bit like back in the early computer days, a manufacturer built everything and had control so they wrote all the software, then IBM built the AT-PC with off the shelf parts and depended on drivers from other manufacturers which sometimes play nice and other times didn't.

Hi Paul, I am getting exactly same problem in my MG 4 Trophy. I have seen some MG 4 review where it is working but that seems to be with Long Range model and not Trophy.

@NigelMK: mine is a trophy too.

@Eber: So, when you say "R33" fixes it, are you referring to the Entertainment System version, hidden within the system menu? Mine is currently on "SW168-29958-1300R29". What triggered your dealer to upgrade that your old software release to the "R33" version, and what is the full version number of the release you have installed?

Many thanks,

Paul

Edit: I just spotted the software update thread, which answers my questions about software releases. I think I'll sit out any update until later in the year when hopefully the software is a bit more stable...

Last edited:
I thought I had this problem on my Trophy, then I did a drive in the cold in the dark when I was using both the heating and the headlights, and suddenly after an hour, an extra segment popped up in the O graph. I had to use 1 kwh of non-driving power before this happened - it doesn't recognise anything under 1 kwh.

Regen also suddenly showed something after somewhat less time.

The graph figures were (after an hour in a traffic jam):
1kwh heating, 2kwh driving, 2kWh regen, 2.2 m/kWh.

Next test today:
Energy MG4 F10.jpg

This is the display showing Energy since last charge. If I change it to Energy Since Start (of 8 mile last journey), it changes to a blank blue ring.

Last edited:
whist this is slightly OT - did anyone see this:-

i.e winter motorway driving in very expensive EV's - they all did around 70-80% of what they suggested they would do! - which is fine - but what I couldn't just get over that the BMW & Merc was 4 x the price of my MG4 which does exactly the same, tesla was quite suprising in that it did over 4miles / KW

I was watching a TV review of the MG4 recently and the reviewer said that the LFP or Blade battery is only available in the SR spec 125kw version however after reading specs online it seems to be available in all spec MG4's and other MG EV's. Perhaps someone can confirm that.
Hope so as this battery is in all BYD EV'S and has been tested to be virtually indestructable and fire resistant compared to others and supposedly is good for 4,000 cycles or 1 million miles. :p

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back