Currently have an MG5 LR Exclusive coming in January but the new ZS has just put a spanner in the works

lj1992

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
With the possibility of getting the new ZS gen 2 in November, I'm thinking about cancelling my MG5 LR Exclusive order. What's everyone's thoughts on if dealers will get deliveries in November/December this year? I am guessing that it'll be between £2,500-£3,500 more... so £27k after the affinity scheme + government grant.

I have also heard that the MG5 is a good bit better than the current ZS (especially in relation to build quality), but I'm wondering how much the new ZS will improve on that.

Depends if they offer the affinity scheme on the new ZS. I am in a similar position but am likely to keep the MG5 for a year and then decide. if the chip shortage continues the car shouldn't lose too much value.

Depends if they offer the affinity scheme on the new ZS. I am in a similar position but am likely to keep the MG5 for a year and then decide. if the chip shortage continues the car shouldn't lose too much value.

I see. If the affinity scheme is on the new ZS, I'm going to switch my order...

I have also heard that the MG5 is a good bit better than the current ZS (especially in relation to build quality), but I'm wondering how much the new ZS will improve on that.
I don't know where you get that idea from.
We have them both and there is nothing between them
as far as build quality goes.
As for better, in what way? In range yes obviously,
In comfort that would be down to the individual.
My wife and I both rate the comfort of the ZS better,
more comfy seats and ride, not that the 5LR is not comfy
or a bad ride, far from it. There will be no doubt other
people who will prefer the opposite.
We have the exclusive of both, and the ZS also has I think
more safety features, Blind spot detection,
rear cross traffic alert, maybe more.
Most importantly they are both excellent cars.

With the possibility of getting the new ZS gen 2 in November, I'm thinking about cancelling my MG5 LR Exclusive order. What's everyone's thoughts on if dealers will get deliveries in November/December this year? I am guessing that it'll be between £2,500-£3,500 more... so £27k after the affinity scheme + government grant.

It all depends on your needs and what you like 🤷‍♂️

I personally don't like SUVs so the MG5 was the obvious choice - but depending on your own preference one way of the other, that might sway your decision. The 2nd generation ZS is going to be an improvement from the original in so many ways (not suggesting the original isn't good!) - and have all the missing toys (depending on trim level, although all the information seems slightly contradictory just now). The one thing that is highly likely though, is that the new model will be more expensive than the old one - and who knows if Affinity will continue given the low supplies and record sales.

So, an MG5LR for about £24,500 or a gen 2 ZS for ....... maybe £27k after discounts? maybe £30k? Even if it has Affinity, it won't be the same percentage as the current ZS - the 17% discount on MG5SR changed to 14% on MG5LR. But, If you're in a position to wait and see & you want one - go for it, I'm sure it'll be a superb car for whatever price it turns out to be 👍

It all depends on your needs and what you like 🤷‍♂️

I personally don't like SUVs so the MG5 was the obvious choice - but depending on your own preference one way of the other, that might sway your decision. The 2nd generation ZS is going to be an improvement from the original in so many ways (not suggesting the original isn't good!) - and have all the missing toys (depending on trim level, although all the information seems slightly contradictory just now). The one thing that is highly likely though, is that the new model will be more expensive than the old one - and who knows if Affinity will continue given the low supplies and record sales.

So, an MG5LR for about £24,500 or a gen 2 ZS for ....... maybe £27k after discounts? maybe £30k? Even if it has Affinity, it won't be the same percentage as the current ZS - the 17% discount on MG5SR changed to 14% on MG5LR. But, If you're in a position to wait and see & you want one - go for it, I'm sure it'll be a superb car for whatever price it turns out to be 👍
Agreed, thanks for the reply. I think perhaps the best option I'll have is to see about trading in the MG5 next year if the affinity + government grand is still in place by the time the new ZS has deliveries. I've been told by dealers it could be between Feb-April

I can assure you that 25k in on my ZS there is nothing wrong with the build quality whosoever…it’s been brilliant over the past 18 months

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom