Chinese reviewer. There is an English interview section. Visiting MG paddock at goodwood, Passenger POV, driving MG B and interviewing MG staff. Also interview with Carl Gotham at MG Studio London

Rumours of 3 trims in China. An additional rear wheel drive Long Range version. Pricing in China is for China only. Hopefully MG will put the range at 39 to 50 instead of 50 to 60,000

Cyberster Australia

Last edited:
Rumours of 3 trims in China. An additional Long Range version. Pricing in China is for China only. Hopefully MG will put the range at 39 to 50 instead of 50 to 60,000
Love the car, would have bought in a heart beat, however, having a MG4, and with all its foibles, the main issue is dealership back up. Not their fault, MG China are utterly crap in ordering parts , lead time, agreeing works, etc. so for this reason, it’s a no from me. Looking at the BMW i4 (M40) .. two years old, for my next car. As much as I love my MG4, I am currently blessed with it working ok. If i have a significant issue, not convinced I will get that sorted.

So cheapo, excellent car, issues, very worried.

I guess it really is a case of getting what you pay for.

Same issue with Nissan. Parts come from Japan or Netherlands. So you could be waiting a month Or 9 for a mirror. MG look like they're serious about improving at least and want to bring cars to the market. No point opening or taking over dealerships if you cant deliver. Plus sales are approaching 60k per annum. The market is volatile so people will lose confidence if they dont improve.

Since 2016 sales have been good. So i have more confidence in them than Nissan who cant meet preorders in a timely fashion with the Ariya and Z in US. So many issues with production.

Well with Nissan i would have ordered a Z but they were too lazy to make a hybrid or emissions compliant engine. Market too small to warrant the cost.

With new EV coupes they say their battery tech is not at the level so no coupes or Sport type vehicles till 2028.

I live in Thailand, generally cars are much more expensive here. 6 months ago I bought an MG4 to keep the miles off my Porsche Taycan Turbo as making regular long trips to see my daughters at university. Since then I have been preferring my MG4 daily over the Taycan. I sold the Taycan last month as it wasn’t being used. The MG4 is all the fun at 10% of the cost. It cost just over 21,700 GBP I have my deposit paid for the dual motor Cyberster and I have told the dealer if Thailand gets the MG4 X-Power to put me down for one of those too. The X-Power is slightly faster than the Taycan 4S and a lot faster than the base Taycan. I bought one of my daughters an MG EP+, in the UK it’s the MG5 trimmed at Trophy spec with standard range battery (LFP) at GBP 17,250 large government subsidy applied. My Taycan was GBP 250k which gives you an idea of more typical costs. LFP is the most suitable battery for Thailand’s climate.

Just because there isn't an EV roadster doesn't mean people will flock out to buy a £50K Chinese MG.
The only reason the MG4 sold so well was because of the low price compared to all other EVs', If MG asked for £40K for it, they would not have sold many!
You must have more money than sense if you are willing to pay BMW prices for a rebadged SAIC just because it doesn't have a roof.

I see about 4 Tesla model S each day so they are more common than a lot of cars
Watch this space. Many would have said the same for Hyundai and Kia pre EV. Times are changing. The top Marques of the future will not be the same. People are wising up.

Watch this space. Many would have said the same for Hyundai and Kia pre EV. Times are changing. The top Marques of the future will not be the same. People are wising up.
My back up is a Cayenne. MG4 is the daily runner.

I agree - and it is not only price that has driven sales of the MG4, it is the drive and features for the money.

Funnily enough, I can order parts through my Mazda dealer for my JDM 30 year old MX5, and provided Hiroshima has them on the shelf, they are in my hands 5 working days.

Check what Hyundai/Kia parts availability are like after 5 years. Non-existent, and thats partly because of their short model cycles. These cars will barely get to the end of the warranty and remain serviceable.

Some details (in Spanish), about other colours; silver, a dark grey metallic and yellow. Yellow does not work, neither, I suspect, will other light colours, like white.

Some details (in Spanish), about other colours; silver, a dark grey metallic and yellow. Yellow does not work, neither, I suspect, will other light colours, like white.

Great find! I actually quite like the yellow. Also note most of the cars have black interior, not the red. Also the grey one has different wheels, implying wheel choice. It hadn't occured to me that the car is being released in China in 2023 ahead of everywhere else. Will be interesting to see if they offer a light interior - would go well with the darker colours. I heard some dealer speculation that UK order books would open in September, with first deliveries in March 2024 ready for the new number plate, which would make sense as that time of year is strong for convertibles in the UK.

Scissor doors may be an option. Might be China only. The price difference for the X Power/AWD will be interesting. Almost £25,000 as far as I can see. 10k in VAT alone looks like. I need to see it in the flesh before making any moves. The proportions may be deceiving as well as seating position for tall people.

I wonder if itll come with Air Scarf and a wind deflector 😎

I think ive seen most of the Chinese reviews. My moms Kia Niro is 200hp and very quick 300ft lbs. Had more torque than 370z

I need to stop watching these videos as I am starting to really want one.

For me, the RWD 64kWh version is what I'd have: lightest and hopefully nicer to drive on a handling front. Plenty fast enough for me.

You can probably get hold of an ex demo with 5-10k knocked off 😉. I got lucky with my first Z ringing around the country. I saved 14k. Although it wasnt a new model

You can probably get hold of an ex demo with 5-10k knocked off 😉. I got lucky with my first Z ringing around the country. I saved 14k. Although it wasnt a new model
Stop it! You need to be telling me not to be so silly looking at an impractical (well fairly practical), overpriced (well, far cheaper than anything else), unnecessary (well, I'm sure I'd use it), uncomfortable (well it looks really comfortable actually), child's toy (well I am still 8 years old on the inside). 🤣🤣🤣

1695892305019.png

Screenshot 2023-09-28 10.09.19.png

Screenshot 2023-09-28 10.09.25.png

Yes, the two-tone Ivory/Grey interior does look nice!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom