Those 3 screens were put there with a yoke in mind. Otherwise it obscures some of the view

Stop it! You need to be telling me not to be so silly looking at an impractical (well fairly practical), overpriced (well, far cheaper than anything else), unnecessary (well, I'm sure I'd use it), uncomfortable (well it looks really comfortable actually), child's toy (well I am still 8 years old on the inside). 🤣🤣🤣
Depends, if the kids are teen years or have left home then its a bit different. Some of the guys I met up with when i had the Z had young kids actually. If youre a parent you get Cool dad points...Only live once ya know lol

Love the car, would have bought in a heart beat, however, having a MG4, and with all its foibles, the main issue is dealership back up. Not their fault, MG China are utterly crap in ordering parts , lead time, agreeing works, etc. so for this reason, it’s a no from me. Looking at the BMW i4 (M40) .. two years old, for my next car. As much as I love my MG4, I am currently blessed with it working ok. If i have a significant issue, not convinced I will get that sorted.

So cheapo, excellent car, issues, very worried.

I guess it really is a case of getting what you pay for.
My brother has an i4 M50 and i was blown away by it when i drove it, its stupidly fast, built like a tank and just oozes high end quality everywhere, he even has the HUD which looks fantastic.
I still dont know why MG thinks it can charge BMW prices for the cyberster simply because its the only soft top EV at the moment

If i had £65k to burn i'd be heading to BMW and not to MG, more than twice the car and just as fast for the same price!!

I sat in the Cyberster today. Tall people have a good view of all 3 screens if the push the seat all the way back. The seat can be lowered and it has memory settings. The boot did play up a bit. I saw the car at Newbury. Very nice staff. A guy from Swindon bought an Xpower today. It does look nice in the flesh. Nice porportions.

IMG_20230929_191859.jpg
IMG_20230929_175523.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230929_175532_1.jpg
    IMG_20230929_175532_1.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230929_180700.jpg
    IMG_20230929_180700.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20230929_191855.jpg
    IMG_20230929_191855.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230929_191859.jpg
    IMG_20230929_191859.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230929_191908.jpg
    IMG_20230929_191908.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20230929_192801_1.jpg
    IMG_20230929_192801_1.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230929_191856.jpg
    IMG_20230929_191856.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230929_184916_1.jpg
    IMG_20230929_184916_1.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 64
My brother has an i4 M50 and i was blown away by it when i drove it, its stupidly fast, built like a tank and just oozes high end quality everywhere, he even has the HUD which looks fantastic.
I still dont know why MG thinks it can charge BMW prices for the cyberster simply because its the only soft top EV at the moment

If i had £65k to burn i'd be heading to BMW and not to MG, more than twice the car and just as fast for the same price!!
And which convertible roadster BMW EV would that be you were heading for then? Oh yes, none, as they don't have one! :ROFLMAO:

The quality of the Cyberster won't be anything like the MG4 you realise? You can't base a quality comparison to a high end BMW using the budget end of MG, we'll have to see how the Cyberster actually compares.

I agree the MG is too expensive though.

And which convertible roadster BMW EV would that be you were heading for then? Oh yes, none, as they don't have one! :ROFLMAO:

The quality of the Cyberster won't be anything like the MG4 you realise? You can't base a quality comparison to a high end BMW using the budget end of MG, we'll have to see how the Cyberster actually compares.

I agree the MG is too expensive though.

Theyve used better materials in the MG C. Definitely not the same. More alcantara and better leather. They know if theyre charging more for it especially in Europe theyll improve it due to feedback. Only the gloss plastics need looking at as they get dirty easily. The infotainment I think its developed by Huawei so its really responsive. Very snug inside. The car is still somewhat a prototype. Also you can open the door by pulling it up. It can go all the way to 90 degrees

You just answered your own question, there's nothing to compete anywhere near the price. By the way, the Cyberster also oozes high end quality and looks fantastic.

You do realise the Cyberster is significantly faster accelerating than the i4 M50?

You do realise that the i4 M50 starts at £71k? Much more expensive.

Why does BMW think it can charge obscenely high prices when there are vehicles better or as good available for much less?
And that's great, you buy what you like, fine, but it is silly to compare coupes to convertibles as if cars are priced by the amount of metal you receive - if that were true we should all drive vans!

MG are soon to launch larger range EVs which will significantly undercut equivalent BMWs, be interesting to see if BMW are able to respond.

Attachments

• IMG_9425.jpeg
    IMG_9425.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 67
I think the challenge here is that there is no pricing on the MG, there are lots of rumours and lots of suggested pricing but nothing official. Until there is official pricing its just not a comparison.

If it does come out near 60k+ then I agree with those saying it will be over priced, but if they don't want it to be a mass seller then maybe that's their strategy.

The original mg roadster was "for the people" but I suspect this one won't be if the price rumours are right.

A cheap roadster - great I'm in for as a nice toy.
An expensive one - no thanks, ill forgoe the three weeks in the UK were I can get the roof down I'll get a high spec hardtop and have more power and use it all year round

But everyone has their own uses for cars and different opinions

Youre right about no pricing in Europe. We know what it costs in China around £30k. Add 30% to that plus shipping costs and MG are still making around 9k+ profit. Either way MG aren't targeting volume sales. Seems like theyve made a strategy to sell a few and make it the halo car for the brand.

Even yesterday there were a few people that said "not sure" not convinced....Like the guy who bought the xpower said "we will have to see". Also a quote i read somewhere. Everyone likes a sportscar but how many are buying. This car is a marketing tool for MG. Appearing on car wow etc means more interest and sales.

Also MG have other models and concepts lined up. I won't be surprised if they do a different model sports car like a coupe with 4 seats that's slightly lower in price. MG4 sells boat loads to make it possible.

I'm working off the latest Cyberster pricing that's been talked about, which is £50k ish for the base model and about £65k for the top of the range.

Now it may be less than that, but nobody is suggesting it is going to cost £70k+.

Definitely not 70k. I think a ceiling of £59,999 is already playing with fire. Maybe the range topping version will have bigger 6 pot brakes and a few options that justify the price. The only way it will hold that price or thereabouts is if MG sell a few and consistently buy their Cybersters back. That being said i do think theres a floor for slightly older MGs as seen with other models. For example due to demand i cant see the MG4 becoming a 10k car anytime soon. Obviously no one knows how the used market will play out for Cyberster. A few people could get bargains if the market becomes flooded and MG doesnt solve issues quickly. Which is why i think theyll be careful with numbers initially.

I think there will be models "for the people". Also I guess the cars have been well received in China, UK and mainland Europe. Theres an interest to bring more models people will like.

Last edited:
To an extent the actual list price is not really an issue if there are good PCP deals available. Most will go the PCP route and if MG provide a decent APR and perhaps some concessions it will sell. The fact that it’s in a category of its own at the moment also means that pricing will not be so critical. The type of buyer for this category of car is fairly niche anyway.

To an extent the actual list price is not really an issue if there are good PCP deals available. Most will go the PCP route and if MG provide a decent APR and perhaps some concessions it will sell. The fact that it’s in a category of its own at the moment also means that pricing will not be so critical. The type of buyer for this category of car is fairly niche anyway.
This is indeed key. With a high MGFV and decent rate, it won't cost the earth to finance the base model.

Auto car cyberster review is out.

Ah, but if it were. Review is by Autoexpress/

Notice how the Hainan reviews have included Chinese reviewers, Vietnamese reviewers, minor Youtubers and Autoexpress.

No Autocar, no Evo, no Top Gear, no C&T, no Motortrend etc etc. Not even Best Car. The reviewer is Mark Rainford who shares the same name as a Mark Rainford who has these job titles:

• Founder and Automotive Content Creator @ Inside China Auto
  • Director @ Great Wall Property Ltd
  • Internal Communications Manager @ wejo Ltd

Ah, but if it were. Review is by Autoexpress/

Notice how the Hainan reviews have included Chinese reviewers, Vietnamese reviewers, minor Youtubers and Autoexpress.

No Autocar, no Evo, no Top Gear, no C&T, no Motortrend etc etc. Not even Best Car. The reviewer is Mark Rainford who shares the same name as a Mark Rainford who has these job titles:

• Founder and Automotive Content Creator @ Inside China Auto
  • Director @ Great Wall Property Ltd
  • Internal Communications Manager @ wejo Ltd
Have to admit, even I thought it was an over gushing love fest of a review, more like a manufacturer promo, lol!

At the moment anyone can test drive and give a review according to Cyberster website. Now in Shanghai. It still looks to be available in Hainan. If you're worried about escaping in time or getting exposed at the airport then that's another story. Maybe Top Gear and Co haven't bothered to look into it or they weren't invited

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom