Chinese roll testing you say?

Euro NCAP testing is purely voluntary. And MG won't be publishing the NCAP data. Only Euro NCAP will.

Better tell the occupants to "duck" as soon as a rollover is apparent. One of the dummies just lost half his/her skull on the pavement. Leaving brain matter behind = Dead on arrival.

Anti roll or anything to prevent a roll is better. I'd take the Cyberster over the VW.

We’ve made a rear wind screen template , I’m waiting for the file and will order it from polycarbonate or plexiglass. It will be held in place with Velcro strips.

Attachments

• photo_2024-03-06_11-18-00.jpg
    photo_2024-03-06_11-18-00.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 63
  • photo_2024-03-06_11-17-43.jpg
    photo_2024-03-06_11-17-43.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Вы знаете, что это сетка, натянутая на рамку, а не сплошной экран?
There are different technical solutions. Where it can be installed permanently, there can be a monolithic solution. This is suitable for roadsters. For example, like in MB SLK R272. And in convertibles with two rows of seats, you need something quick and lightweight. I've been driving convertibles for 25 years, and without such a deflector it's a complete discomfort. The fact that MG did not foresee this can only be explained by haste. I am sure that there will be many aftermarket solutions later, but I will do this first for myself. )
I'll show you the result later.

Attachments

• slk r172.png
    slk r172.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Better tell the occupants to "duck" as soon as a rollover is apparent. One of the dummies just lost half his/her skull on the pavement. Leaving brain matter behind = Dead on arrival.

Anti roll or anything to prevent a roll is better. I'd take the Cyberster over the VW.

LOL. You just compared the MG to a 15 year old VW when trying to defend alleged Chinese crash testing.

Messring apparently built a state of the art crash testing facility for SMTC, the SAIC subsidiary who's sticker is on the side of the car. Instead, the dodgy film is done in some dirty shed with junk lying around.

Speaking of safety; a view inside the door showing the door skin. The comment is that the side impact bar is lacking sufficient webbing. There are bigger bars in a 30 year old MX5 door....(door bars were added in 1993)

pBEEzLpN.jpg

TfJXqZCD.jpg

And really curious obsession with measuring formaldehyde offgassing from the carpet and roof. Its low by the way. But they are keen to let you know you are less likely to get cancer from sitting inside your new Cyberster....

TQ3MzZ4q.jpg

8H3SZrv3.jpg

Front and rear ends stripped down

The embedded video shows some pretty rough welds especially around the band. And with the hood up, there are these big plastic flaps up near the passengers heads. Some parts in the hood frame don't seem like a great fit.

6629630899734009803488a0cb062ef3.png

Paint got a 2

61.8/100 driving experience

31/61 front/rear collision beams (the bumpers)

49/55 chassis components

29/46 for the interior, including that formaldehyde measurement. Notably, says there are no beams inside the doors. If that is correct, pretty significant issue. I doubt they will Euro NCAP this car; there's no reason to, because likely the sales in Europe won't be that much in the grand scheme of things, and the typical buyers won't care about things like that.

Good find...All this from the China Edition.....Not the European Version as you put it? Which has current delays. Maybe they wont NCAP test it, maybe they will to prove a point no?

The plastic containers you eat your lunch from can cause cancer too. So is the dust from an old Jaguar that hasnt had the AC filters changed

SLK was great with the 4 cyclinder shut off. Wanted the 55 at some point. Great big V8 not without issues.

Last edited:
I don't really like Cyberster's rims. Therefore, to find out their parameters I had to remove them. So the rear ones are 20x9.5J ET46, the front ones are 20x8.5J ET40. And it looks like 5x112. Now I can keep my eye on something on the market.

"Wheel options". A step too far for MG. 😬. I dont think theyll move on that. Make sure theyre lighter weight though. May enhance the driving experience married with Pilot 4 S or similar.

This year, Goodwood's Festival of Speed will celebrate 100 years of the MG brand.
As part of that, the Cyberster will top the sculpture in front of the house.

Good find...All this from the China Edition.....Not the European Version as you put it? Which has current delays. Maybe they wont NCAP test it, maybe they will to prove a point no?

The plastic containers you eat your lunch from can cause cancer too. So is the dust from an old Jaguar that hasnt had the AC filters changed

SLK was great with the 4 cyclinder shut off. Wanted the 55 at some point. Great big V8 not without issues.

The point was only the Chinese seem to worry about Formaldehyde. Which reminds me of the stories of Chinese sofas causing burns and rashes. In China they are pumped full of formaldehyde to kill off mould, and wrapped. But not enough time is allowed at the other end to offgas. The bagged sofas went from warehouse to end user, all bagged up.

Chinese NCAP loosely similar to Euro NCAP, but much slower frontal impact speeds.

AC filters? You mean the pollen filters.

In China, "new car smell" is unpopular because of the high levels of formaldehyde offgassing from plastic parts inside Chinese car interiors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, that carbon fibre racing spec Cyberster is seen; there are a couple of short Youtube videos from months ago with little detail except it has a hardtop. Kerb weight falls from 1985kg to 1730kg. Called the CyberSter Track Edition. Same power as 4WD version. Obviously not road legal. Wheels are forged items from ARKTA.

JXMgEtxo.jpg

2S4TgjdQ.jpg

K9qGGiUc.jpg

W5Y5n7uL.jpg

oC34pkPU.jpg
FcbSMSRU.jpg

bZtg4VZT.jpg

The Youtube video from 5 months ago

Last edited:
Might as well offer a lighter Coupe at 1700kg. The car shouldn't weigh as much as a model 3

Its light because its got no interior and most of the panels are replaced by carbon fiber. The resulting price will be taking the piss for a Chinese car with barely any track record.

Its the weight it is, because it turns out most of those interested in it want a grand tourer, with a range to match.

id love a Cyberster but the Jag v8 or GTR are caling LOL. Might have a look once the teething issues are ironed out and 75% of what i want is included.

id love a Cyberster but the Jag v8 or GTR are caling LOL. Might have a look once the teething issues are ironed out and 75% of what i want is included.
They're both cracking cars, I used to love running V8's back in the day, but it's 2024 now and the only ICE engines I want in my life are in my classic VW's! Now if Jaguar made their coupe as an EV...

They're both cracking cars, I used to love running V8's back in the day, but it's 2024 now and the only ICE engines I want in my life are in my classic VW's! Now if Jaguar made their coupe as an EV...
The people running Jaguar are lost behind the curve. They should have consulted with one of the Chinese automakers to work on a plug in hybrid and EV F Type. Apparently Boxster is due next summer and Alpine are working on a A110 successor. Unfortunately it weighs 1400kg

Itll probably compete with the Model S Tesla. Apparently they're hiring 250 Engineers and rejigging the factory post April when the last F Type rolls off the line.

I also read somewhere that they partnered with Nvidia and co and will continue to make the Range Rovers in Hybrid and EV. Also Audi have partnered with SAIC and VW are already with SAIC and Xpeng?!

Hopefully they can exchange ideas and bring some solid models to EU including the new MG models (MG9, L6, LS6 etc). It may help the development of the Cyberster and potential hardtop roadster/targa if they decide to continue beyond 3-4 year cycle.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom