DAB RADIO

I was also shown a letter from MG to their dealers stating that customers were dissatisfied with the situation and they were working on a resolution. Although no timescales were mentioned at least MG have acknowledge that this situation is far less than ideal and they need to sort it out.
I like Del tend to stream my radio via android auto so it's not a major issue for me but it is very annoying never the less. I don't have the cable from the glove box plugged in as in my mind it looks terrible and removed it when I picked up my car. Let's hope a solution is forthcoming soon as this spoils what is otherwise a great car.

Paul

Subject: Mg HS PHEV exclusive

This is an email I sent to Mg re the DAB issue.
Response posted underneath

Dear Mr Seaton,

As a purchaser of 9MG, cars from SAIC over the last 12 years I believe myself to be a good customer for the brand.

My PHEV is a lovely motorcar, which I am thrilled and delighted with except for the bodge up fix for the dab radio, albeit as a proposed temporary solution, although seemingly for some people, a very long-standing temporary solution already.

Having seen reviews of the car from Australia, the set you have put into the car seems very similar to the Australian specification set and that makes me question whether you really ever intend to put this right

As a company of the standing of MG motor UK, and as a subsidiary of SAIC you cannot seriously expect any customer to accept that the bodge is anything other than just that. I am aware that you have written to the dealers confirming that it is intended to sort it out and would point out that if the head unit can be made for the revised minor facelift of the car which is basically little changed , from the other earlier model, that this is going to create bad feeling and give the company a bad name unless it is sorted out quickly and efficiently.

The fact that there is no RDS or text functions on the radio you have fitted tells me that it was one, that’s probably made for a market that does not have DAB or RDS.
Therefore replacing the head unit is probably the only solution going forward and surely this has to be done in order to give the companies name a boost with all the buyers of the car during this period.
Using up old stocks of parts made for different markets is not a credible behaviour for the company and this must be put right immediately if not sooner.

Whilst not wishing to take action, I am aware of, I wish to put you on notice of the conditions under the sale of goods act, and also the trade descriptions act, which this vehicle fails on both counts currently.

I look forward to hearing some positive news from you by return. Yours faithfully

Derek

MG’s response

Dear Mr Lawrence

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn that you remain disappointed.

Please see below email recently released by directors of MG Motor UK Ltd.

MG Motor UK acknowledge that the DAB dongle temporary solution for the semi-conductor issue has caused national discussion amongst our customers on social media, forums and directly into our Customer Care Team.

Like most other manufacturers, the worldwide semi-conductor shortage has meant that MG Motor UK have had to create a temporary solution to ensure customers can still receive their new vehicles without halting delivery altogether.

We are aware that the temporary solution has left some customers dissatisfied and we are currently looking into available options to rectify the issues that are being raised.

We do not have confirmed timeframes, but please rest assured, as soon as a solution is available that has been thoroughly tested, a communication will be released.

If you have any questions in the meantime do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

E-mail:
[email protected]

A very similar response to that of myself and NEILO. All of the responses from MG to disappointed customers state that they are "Looking into options", but no mention as to how far any progress has been made. I myself am still not fully of confident of a resolution

I have also emailed customer services complaining about the temporary solution to the DAB. I will let you know if I get a response. Has the face-lifted version got a working radio?

Yes I got a response nearly straight away and it's the standard response that Del got.

I just taken the temp fix off my windscreen it now resides in the bin. I have even looked for replacement head units there is nothing for this car.

This is really putting a dampener on my ownership experience. The infotainment system is bad enough when it's all there at least you can listen to the radio 📻 🙂

Just sent another e mail to Gary Smart. Your thought gents would be appreciated

Dear Mr Smart,

I just wanted to make you aware of the amount of dissatisfaction there is on various forums regarding the DAB issue with the MG HS car. MG have been telling customers that they are looking into a solution. This has been ongoing for some considerable time now and surely some progress has been made. Could you please get someone with authority to give an honest update as to the current situation. Simply saying that it is been looked into is now looking like more than delaying tactics. We are simply looking for a safe and quality solution to what should be a perfectly working infotainment system. Please try the retro fit version for yourself and see how you find it as a DAB usable DAB radio on the move.

Kind Regards,

Paul Morland

As I understand it the problem is so vast that they’re limiting how many are done at any given time. I had mine done today and was able to sneak a peak at the warranty paperwork. I suspect if you quote SCUK1308 you may be able to jump the queue 😉

As I understand it the problem is so vast that they’re limiting how many are done at any given time. I had mine done today and was able to sneak a peak at the warranty paperwork. I suspect if you quote SCUK1308 you may be able to jump the queue 😉
There are around 22340 HS and MG 5s on the road since 2021 when I think the issue with the DAB started. I got this from how many are left. Circa 10k cars sold in 2021. I may have made some basic addition errors as a cow-worker was talking at me when I was trying to add the figures up!

There are around 22340 HS and MG 5s on the road since 2021 when I think the issue with the DAB started. I got this from how many are left. Circa 10k cars sold in 2021. I may have made some basic addition errors as a cow-worker was talking at me when I was trying to add the figures up!
Is the same thing happening on the MG5 too?! Blimey!! I thought it was just the HS!

No, not just the HS. We have a thread on our forum, I dropped in on here seeing it through the new posts section to see what you were doing. They fixed in on the facelift 5 version.

Of course it could be a different issue between the HS & 5 that broke the DAB. Not a good look with the stick on aerial and silly usb dongle.

I picked up my new car last week and wasn't told about the DAB radio not working. When I questioned this with the dealer he told me the same about the company going bust and that we should have it sorted by 6 months. Listen to the radio through my phone instead which is not ideal
We picked up our 72 plate, with delivery mileage only, on 4th July this year, it wasn't until we were handed the keys and were being shown the around it before driving off before anything was mentioned about a radio fault! Does anyone have any ideas on time scales?

Just to update you all. Mr Smart did not even respond to my e mail. Further confirmation that MG are not taking this issue as a concern that they are dealing with

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you also have fm rds as well
I have just booked my car to be done in October. Service dealership told me that it’s a service campaign so will only be done when in for service but no general recall.
They have however booked mine and will do it, saying that it could take several hours so will not do it on a while you wait basis. However this is good news! Thanks for the earlier tip off.

I have just emailed my dealer and they have not had any information regarding the DAB fix or are just not telling me.

I have just emailed my dealer and they have not had any information regarding the DAB fix or are just not telling me.
Well let them know it’s on a service bulletin and that you know of others who have had it done or booked. The reason they don’t want to announce it is they don’t want a rush.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom