Daily charging (3.3kWh) at work below freezing temperature

hharzel

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I charge my MG4 SE daily at work @ 3.3kW (I don't have a charging station at home). It is getting colder every day and temperatures are already below freezing. Does the EV LFP battery warm up enough during the drive to work (approx. 20mls/12km) or should I always use "Intelligent Battery Heating"? Is the charging process intelligent enough itself to warm up the battery during the charging cycle? I have read that charging at sub-temperatures could eventually damage the battery, especially with rapid charging. Does that apply to slow charging too?

With some back of a fag packet calculations I think it was worked out that with journeys under 35 miles the amount of power used to heat the battery was greater then the increased m/kWh it gave. As you are in Finland and will probably experience colder temperatures than the UK I don't know if this still applies.

Not an expert but I don't think heating the battery affects the slower AC charge rate, only if rapid charging you wouldn't hit the fastest speed, I also don't think it damages the battery when cold just affects the speed

Unless you're going on a long drive or you really really want high regen braking then do not worry about heating the battery.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back