DASH CAM

John Arnold

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of installing a dash cam to my ZS EV 2021 plate. Can anyone advise on best value purchase and any fitting information would also be greatly appreciated.

Value on a camera is subjective. I'm using a NextBase, and it's been pretty decent, others disagree.

Fitting is relatively straightforward. There's a few threads on here already relating to it. Just need to decide if you're hardwiring into the fuse box, or plugging into the lighter socket.

I had the most expensive Nextbase 2 years ago and had nothing but issues, tried the replacement and that also broke within a couple of months.
I fitted a the 300 series Nextbase to my Mom's car and within 4 months the screen has gone white and doesn't work.

I have £30 cameras from Amazon in both my cars. They record in 1080P and have a free WiFi app so no messing about putting memory cards into computers etc. Had both for 2 years and never had a single issue.

Value on a camera is subjective. I'm using a NextBase, and it's been pretty decent, others disagree.

Fitting is relatively straightforward. There's a few threads on here already relating to it. Just need to decide if you're hardwiring into the fuse box, or plugging into the lighter socket.
Thanks for the information being not very happy taking cars apart may go for a fitted unit.

I had the most expensive Nextbase 2 years ago and had nothing but issues, tried the replacement and that also broke within a couple of months.
I fitted a the 300 series Nextbase to my Mom's car and within 4 months the screen has gone white and doesn't work.

I have £30 cameras from Amazon in both my cars. They record in 1080P and have a free WiFi app so no messing about putting memory cards into computers etc. Had both for 2 years and never had a single issue.
Very good information

Nextbase are very over rated, the WiFi connection on mine is very slow, making it impossible to download the high res files by wifi. The Alexa function only works if you turn your phone into a hot spot. The suction mount is pretty poor, the camera vibrates too much making the high res videos useless.

I use a combination of Apeman C550 and C370. I originally bought a C550 for the front, but didn't like the rear camera quality, so instead put a C370 at the back. I now have the same setup on both of our cars. I wouldn't make exaggerated claims for them, but so far they've worked OK. I also use their add-on GPS unit on the C550s so as to show my speed.

I like the fact that they're small, discreet and stick on to the screen - I hate suction mounts. The downside is that, like many cameras, they show the reflected image of the dash in the image, as there isn't a CPL available for them. The considerably dearer, but very similar, Viofo A129 has an add-on CPL.

If I were going to replace the lot, then I'd probably go for something like a Thinkware or Blackvue with a CPL.

I have a Nextbase 322GW. All works fine, nice clear video,no problem downloading it. Had it fitted by Halfords cost £20 which includes the hardwire kit.

Wires can be easily pushed behind headlining and down behind the Piller trims/ door rubbers without removing them.Its what I did to both front and back cameras.Just use a plastic trim removal tool to lift trims up a bit to push wire behind.

I have a Nextbase 322GW. All works fine, nice clear video,no problem downloading it. Had it fitted by Halfords cost £20 which includes the hardwire kit.
I read somewhere on another forum that Halfords have been instructed not to work on EV’s. Obviously this is not the case.

I read somewhere on another forum that Halfords have been instructed not to work on EV’s. Obviously this is not the case.
When I told them it was an EV they said no problem it’s the 12 volt system not the high voltage system it runs off. They did a good neat job. For twenty quid why bother doing it yourself?

When I told them it was an EV they said no problem it’s the 12 volt system not the high voltage system it runs off. They did a good neat job. For twenty quid why bother doing it yourself?
Yes I had one fitted to a XC60 by them. They did do a tidy, decent job. Then when I bought my ICE ZS they were able to fit it to that car as well. A couple of months later the dash cam started buggering about so I stopped using it.

I've had my Nextbase 312GW for at least three years. I transferred it to my ZSEV without a problem and it works fine.

Just been looking at this on Amazon. I was trying to find a rechargeable battery one but no luck.

The only thing that bothers me is where the wire would trail. I watched the video and the app seems easy to use.

Amazon product ASIN B07TJXBFMY
It's very easy to hide the wires behind trim and seals in the MG, and if you plug it in under the centre console in that cubby you see zero wires ☺️

Halfords refused to install mine when they discovered it was fully EV. This was 2 weeks ago, they said it was company policy.

I don't leave the car anywhere that would cause me concern but if I did, the beauty of the Nextbase is it comes with a magnetic mount so temporarily removing and replacing it is literally a 5 second job.
The camera (any camera for that matter) is very visible because of the non tinted screen. When the same camera is in my Focus, you can't see it at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom