Dashcam fitted to USB power on rear view mirror

Sparqx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Morning 😊

I took the chance and ordered a short USB cable from Amazon to go from the port on the rear view mirror mount to the dashcam. See the pictures attached for how it looks…Amazon product ASIN B071DMFKLW

Attachments

• 1EC93748-7FBF-4323-9BE6-898A61EE4C42.jpeg
    1EC93748-7FBF-4323-9BE6-898A61EE4C42.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 9,612
  • 2F075FA9-AEE9-4EB9-91FB-94F3C0C62E0F.jpeg
    2F075FA9-AEE9-4EB9-91FB-94F3C0C62E0F.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 1,280
I thought the rules stated that it shouldn't be more than 40mm from the edge of the area swept by the wipers.
Looks like, yours may be a little more than that.

I thought the rules stated that it shouldn't be more than 40mm from the edge of the area swept by the wipers.
Looks like, yours may be a little more than that.
I may be a few mm out but from what I can see mine is mounted in the green zone on the attached picture. Mine is in the smaller green section below the mirror directly to the left of the red section…I have ordered a slightly longer cable - 30cm so that I can move it behind the mirror more and further out of sight….

Attachments

• D375E661-5F3A-41E8-8EA6-FAE854F77001.jpeg
    D375E661-5F3A-41E8-8EA6-FAE854F77001.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 1,094
Morning 😊

I took the chance and ordered a short USB cable from Amazon to go from the port on the rear view mirror mount to the dashcam. See the pictures attached for how it looks…Amazon product ASIN B071DMFKLW
Hard to tell but it does like it would just about let you fit to the extreme left of the "hump"?
If so that would be a much better position, legally.

Hard to tell but it does like it would just about let you fit to the extreme left of the "hump"?
If so that would be a much better position, legally.
My current cable is 25cm long and at best would fit to the middle of the ‘hump’ so I have ordered a 30cm cable that will hopefully allow me to get to the left hand side…

1.65£ |Super Flat flexible Mini USB B Type 5pin Male UP Down Left Right Angled 90 Degree to USB 2.0 Male Data Cable 0.1m 0.2m 0.5m 1m|USB Cables| - AliExpress

Attachments

• 571F591D-D175-49D9-B605-E1039B6C0993.jpeg
    571F591D-D175-49D9-B605-E1039B6C0993.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 890
Reminds me of the numpties you see who have their smartphones stuck on their windscreens almost in front of their faces! Not that that's been done here ;-)

Has anyone experience to confirm that the dashcam does not remain powered when the car is off? Just didn't want to return to a slightly depleted battery

Has anyone experience to confirm that the dashcam does not remain powered when the car is off? Just didn't want to return to a slightly depleted battery
It powers off with the car if using the connector by the mirror.

Just wanted to check if you found the 0.3m cable was long enough?
Unfortunately still waiting for the delivery from Aliexpress…it was coming from China via snail mail. As soon as I get it I will post an update on how it works 👍🏻

Unfortunately still waiting for the delivery from Aliexpress…it was coming from China via snail mail. As soon as I get it I will post an update on how it works 👍🏻
lol probably on the same boat as most our cars lol

I will likely get a dashcam hard wired in so that I can have it act as a "sentry mode" when parked up, don't know what I will use the auxiliary USB in the mirror for now lol

I will likely get a dashcam hard wired in so that I can have it act as a "sentry mode" when parked up, don't know what I will use the auxiliary USB in the mirror for now lol
I've got a horrible feeling your 12 volt accessory battery won't like that. :)

Why not... the 12v system in an EV is treated in exactly the same was as in an ICE car... you just have a large battery pack keeping it topped up instead of an alternator...

A decent dashcam should shut itself off if it detects the 12v is getting low.

I've ordered some cables myself, obviously won't be able to check them on the car side for a while but this combination should work;
Screenshot_20220421-201118.png

Why not... the 12v system in an EV is treated in exactly the same was as in an ICE car... you just have a large battery pack keeping it topped up instead of an alternator...
So you are going to leave the car on when you are away from it to get sentry mode? Sounds a bit risky to me.

A decent dashcam should shut itself off if it detects the 12v is getting low.

I've ordered some cables myself, obviously won't be able to check them on the car side for a while but this combination should work;
View attachment 8048
The trouble with EV accessory batteries is that they deplete unexpectedly. Having been stranded on a car park without any previous problems, I wouldn't risk it myself.

So you are going to leave the car on when you are away from it to get sentry mode? Sounds a bit risky to me.
You don't need to leave the car on... just like you wouldn't need to leave an ICE car running... the small amount of current draw from a tiny dash cam would is almost negligible in comparison to the capacity of the 12v battery lol. and the amount of times it would activate, I bet the battery would lose more juice from the many systems that require constant power to keep clocks in sync. I wouldn't mind betting that the OTA system has constant power too. For someone with the handle of Gadget Geek I would have thought you would be clued up on stuff like this 🤪 Tesla for instance has a sentry mode, and that uses ALL of the cameras, the proximity sensors and impact sensors... also flashes the lights on and hazards when you get too close to them and then fires up the big screen with a SENTRY MODE alert for all to see lol

You don't need to leave the car on... just like you wouldn't need to leave an ICE car running... the small amount of current draw from a tiny dash cam would is almost negligible in comparison to the capacity of the 12v battery lol. and the amount of times it would activate, I bet the battery would lose more juice from the many systems that require constant power to keep clocks in sync. I wouldn't mind betting that the OTA system has constant power too. For someone with the handle of Gadget Geek I would have thought you would be clued up on stuff like this 🤪 Tesla for instance has a sentry mode, and that uses ALL of the cameras, the proximity sensors and impact sensors... also flashes the lights on and hazards when you get too close to them and then fires up the big screen with a SENTRY MODE alert for all to see lol
OK. Good luck. There are a number of people on a Hyundai forum who have fallen foul of a dashcam draining the 12 volt. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom