Dashcam

johnnyc

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anyone had a dashcam fitted either by the dealer or third party installer, or by yourself?

We were getting an ZS EV, which obviously had the usb in the mirror, so I hadn’t given it too much thought and was going to start looking for options soon enough, but obviously now this isn’t an option for the MG4, so just wondering what others are doing/have done!

:)

It's easy enough to do if you have a little patience, that's to run the cables. To power it there are 3 options, you can power it from the 12v 'cigarette' socket, you can piggyback off a fuse in the fusebox, or from a direct feed off the OBD. they are quite easy to do, give me a shout and I'll help if I can.

Well I thought I had finished fitting my dash camera today, but I’m be just learnt that F4 which is empty ( for what would be the heated steering wheel, but my SE model doesn’t have ) is a permanent live ( it much go though a ignition switched relay at some point after this fuse, the manual doesn’t show what the relays are used for )

Anyhow if you all want to fit your dash cameras you will need this bizzare piggy back connector - 1 Set MICRO3 PIGGY BACK BLADE FUSE HOLDER TAP 12V WITH 10A FUSE | eBay

It’s the first time I’ve ever come across fuses like this, I believe it will be the new standard for cars as it’s very compact, they are called “Micro3” fuses and each “fuse” is actually 2 fuses in 1 and able to supply 2 separate circuits ( normally rated to the same amperage )

I’ll pop up the rest of my pictures on how to hardwire a dash camera once this micro3 piggy back arrives and I add it to my dash camera wiring.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh I would like to add that this dash camera install isn’t the easiest I’ve done, if you don’t feel comfortable removing this panels then pay someone to do the job ( not Halfords though 😆, they don’t sell micro3 piggybacks anyhow so won’t be able to do the job ) It’s also handy to have a multimeter to make sure you put the correct rated fuse in the correct piggy back slot.

Attachments

• 207257E2-6900-476B-93CF-9FEFF159A246.jpeg
    207257E2-6900-476B-93CF-9FEFF159A246.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 475
I just ran the cable from the 12V supply socket around the passenger door (inside the rubber seal) then across the windscreen tucking into headliner edge. 30 minutes maximum. Dashcam comes on as soon as I get into the car.
Ha that’s definitely the easy way of doing it ! I wanted the 12v socket unoccupied and my dash camera has a parking mode, but requires a permanent live and an ignition live 👍🏻

Ha that’s definitely the easy way of doing it ! I wanted the 12v socket unoccupied and my dash camera has a parking mode, but requires a permanent live and an ignition live 👍🏻
What does the parking mode do if you don't mind me asking?

Have a Trophy on order, but already own a Skoda Enyaq. Had a Nextbase dashcam fitted to the Enyaq by my Skoda dealer for around £200. Some damage was caused to the B pillar post trim which the dealer replaced, so for me personally it is better to let the dealer take any risk, however small, in fitting a dashcam, especially if you are not competent with car electrics etc. Anticipate asking my dealer to fit a dashcam to MG4 - they are part of the same Hendy group which supplied my Enyaq so would expect prices to be similar.

Have a Trophy on order, but already own a Skoda Enyaq. Had a Nextbase dashcam fitted to the Enyaq by my Skoda dealer for around £200. Some damage was caused to the B pillar post trim which the dealer replaced, so for me personally it is better to let the dealer take any risk, however small, in fitting a dashcam, especially if you are not competent with car electrics etc. Anticipate asking my dealer to fit a dashcam to MG4 - they are part of the same Hendy group which supplied my Enyaq so would expect prices to be similar.
I understand what you are saying but my method requires zero electrical knowledge and involves nothing more complicated than pulling the door seal away for a small section, plus a few cable ties to hold the wire tidy. If I can do it then anyone can - and save £200 as well.

To clarify the cost was for a Nextbase 422, hardwire kit, SD card and labour. From memory the total cost of the dash cam, hardwire kit and SD card was around £180 at the time, so around £20 to fit. The dealer allowed 30 minutes to fit but it actually took longer (my Enyaq was the first to have a dash cam fitted by this dealer).

In my opinion all manufacturers should fit a USB port to the rear mirror fitting to make fitting a dash cam very easy. Even better build it into the car as my Tesla Model 3 has.

To clarify the cost was for a Nextbase 422, hardwire kit, SD card and labour. From memory the total cost of the dash cam, hardwire kit and SD card was around £180 at the time, so around £20 to fit. The dealer allowed 30 minutes to fit but it actually took longer (my Enyaq was the first to have a dash cam fitted by this dealer).

In my opinion all manufacturers should fit a USB port to the rear mirror fitting to make fitting a dash cam very easy. Even better build it into the car as my Tesla Model 3 has.
The Trophy has the 4 cameras for the "360" system. It would've been nice for MG to expose them as dashcams for us to record to a USB stick like Tesla do.

I am going to get a qualified car electrician to do this, as `I also want a rear camera fitting, I have done front camera on my last 3 cars.

I am going to get a qualified car electrician to do this, as `I also want a rear camera fitting, I have done front camera on my last 3 cars.
Which rear camera will you be going for? I'm considering getting one fitted for mine when it arrives at the end of the year (hopefully)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 515 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back