De-badging Your ZS EV - How Did You Do It?

Nutnut

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hey All

One of the first things I want to do when my car arrives is de-badge it. I think it should be fairly straightforward as there aren't many on the rear, but was wondering whether anyone here has already done so successfully? :unsure:

If you've already tackled this, I'd love to know:
  • Tools you used if any
  • Is it just adhesive to work around on MG's, or whether you encountered any screws &/or clips
  • Whether the paint was fairly robust and you were able to do this without any damage
  • Any problems you encountered
Thanks!

*I couldn't find an existing thread on this, but if there is one please feel free to merge/move the post.

Hi
I have done my ZS EV and it is fairly straightforward, take your time and don't rush it
There are no screws or clips, just adhesive pads.
The key to doing it in this weather is using a hairdryer to soften and make the adhesive come away more easily.
Just carefully lift the edge of a badge( would advise something plastic rather than metal to avoid scratching the paint) then blow hot air behind it and gently apply pressure to lift away
You will need some glue remover to clean of the residual.

You can use some strong dental floss and after warming the badge with a hair dryer, use the floss to cut through the soft sponge that attaches the badge to the body panel.
Do NOT use anything metal, the paint is fairly soft !.

Hi
I have done my ZS EV and it is fairly straightforward, take your time and don't rush it
The key to doing it in this weather is using a hairdryer to soften and make the adhesive come away more easily.
Just carefully lift the edge of a badge( would advise something plastic rather than metal to avoid scratching the paint) then blow hot air behind it and gently apply pressure to lift away
Any chance of a photo to see the debadged effect?

Hi
Great to know it's just adhesive holding them on. I might get away without the dryer as by the time my car arrives it'll probably be warm out 😄. Thank you for the advice!

You can use some strong dental floss and after warming the badge with a hair dryer, use the floss to cut through the soft sponge that attaches the badge to the body panel.
Do NOT use anything metal, the paint is fairly soft !.
Nice tip about using floss, and the paint softness - the thing I'm most paranoid about is dinging it, so will go carefully.

Hi
I’ve used all of the above plus using an old bank card works well too
I’ve de badged most of my cars including my Mg5
Only thing I would add is make sure the area is clean less chance of scratching paintwork and add some polish afterwards to protect the paintwork
Good luck and take you time
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
D705E4F4-E255-42ED-806C-DAF2703DBABA.jpeg

Seems a lot of effort for no gain. Or am I missing something?
Perhaps if you could remove all badges to keep people guessing which car it is but the MG logo is a bit of a giveaway.
Maybe it’s weight saving to squeeze another electron out of the battery.
Should add about a metre to the range!

Perhaps if you could remove all badges to keep people guessing which car it is but the MG logo is a bit of a giveaway.
Hi
Back in the day when I used to work for BMW de-badging was done to keep people guessing wether it was a 1.6 or 2.5 litre engine but a quick look at the exhaust would tell you what it was
But some people do it for a cleaner smoother look on the boot / tailgate
Each to their own I suppose
I have never had 1 car in the 54 I have had that I have kept standard most have been subtle mods but I have gone a bit further with a couple I just like my cars to be different to everyone else’s
I must admit it’s not cheap to be different sometimes 😂😂😂😂
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Uh oh - so I’m wasting power then ? 😱

Attachments

• DC5D0638-2273-436D-A3C5-5642A39926CC.jpeg
    DC5D0638-2273-436D-A3C5-5642A39926CC.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 693
It's an aesthetic choice just like the colour, but thanks for the help.

Hi
I’ve used all of the above plus using an old bank card works well too
I’ve de badged most of my cars including my Mg5
Only thing I would add is make sure the area is clean less chance of scratching paintwork and add some polish afterwards to protect the paintwork
Good luck and take you time
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
View attachment 7193
Such a good point to make sure it's free of grit/grime first.

Very nice pic!! May not be everyone's choice, but I really love the clean look - I don't need a whole description on the rear.

Also must say that I like what you've done with the licence plate - there's no black bar running along the bottom.

Last edited:
Do you keep the badges to replace for when you sell the vehicle? Personally I'd be a bit suspicious buying a second hand car de badged.

Do you keep the badges to replace for when you sell the vehicle? Personally I'd be a bit suspicious buying a second hand car de badged.
I could just as well buy badges and stick them on - it doesn't change the actual vehicle. Ultimately everything you need to know would be on the V5 &/or available from the dealer.

These days, no badges isn't at all unusual. It's something you can spec from many other manufacturers.

The exercise is pointless and vain . Badges are waste of time remember the old saying you could fit a BMW badge to a dog T*rd and people would buy it! Why get so excited about vanity its a car and gets you from a to b end of story !!!!!!!!

The exercise is pointless and vain . Badges are waste of time remember the old saying you could fit a BMW badge to a dog T*rd and people would buy it! Why get so excited about vanity its a car and gets you from a to b end of story !!!!!!!!
More pointless than opening a thread, and taking the time to comment on something you seem to have no interest in? Some people live their lives in a joyless functional way, others don't. I live and let live, and find it better to focus on what I like...

If you don't want to do it, don't. It's really is that simple 🤷‍♂️

Uh oh - so I’m wasting power then ? 😱
I guess I’m over loaded and lowered streamline coefficient, at least weight is balanced on both sides of the car. Also hole in wing mirror compensates weight gain as per profile pic too.

Attachments

• 352559F3-742C-4775-86FA-090C2AAF41FE.jpeg
    352559F3-742C-4775-86FA-090C2AAF41FE.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 569
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom