Dead battery in key

retrobloke

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
If the key battery dies. Is there away to get back into the car. I was thinking of leaving a spare battery in the car.
How is the spare key inside fob used

There's always the option of using the Digital Key in the iSMART app? (As long as you're close enough for a Bluetooth connection with the car).

From page 244 of the manual

• Using the mechanical key to unlock: partially operate
the door release handle, using a suitable flat blade
tool, insert the tool into the underside of the trim and
carefully remove the driver door lock trim cover, insert
the key into the driver door lock and turn clockwise
to unlock the car.

You might need a pair of pliers as it may be stiff....as others have experienced...not handy if you are out and about

Last edited:
You might need a pair of pliers as it may be stiff....as others have experienced...not handy if you are out and about
Try it before you need to. I had to use the emergency key on my old Mondeo (suffered from phantom battery drain) and the first time I had to use pliars but after that it was free enough not to need them.

I am fairly sure there was a post about a software update removing the function on SE variants (though I hope that isn't the case given it's an SE model I'm waiting on, and we would definitely make use of it)

I just tried it as a proof of concept ... I can't ever see me needing to use it in anger.

The function uses Bluetooth, so you'd need to have your phone already paired with the car. :)

I just tried it as a proof of concept ... I can't ever see me needing to use it in anger.

The function uses Bluetooth, so you'd need to have your phone already paired with the car. :)
Have you just tried it to check s/w update didn't remove it or was that your previous test?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back