Dead car

That's scary. I hope it turns out to be a fault, because if we can't leave our cars parked up for a week without them dying on us, we're all in trouble.
Just picked car up from Edinburgh Airport after 17 days away, not a problem, SoC was still at 40%, 12volt battery showing 12•4👌

Reassuring, thank you. I plan to leave mine at my friend's house for about the same time in September. (Greek islands, yippee!) She lives near Glasgow airport so we'll leave both cars at her house and take a taxi to the airport.

Reassuring, thank you. I plan to leave mine at my friend's house for about the same time in September. (Greek islands, yippee!) She lives near Glasgow airport so we'll leave both cars at her house and take a taxi to the airport.
Nice easy fix then if there should be a problem. Enjoy, think the Greek Islands will probably be our next cruise 🛳 🍷

Just had a similar issue, went to get in the car this morning, no reaction to the unlock button, checked the key fob battery was OK, opened car with manual key - completely dead inside. Tried the 'Undo negative battery connector' trick - nothing. Connected trickle charger to battery, with neg. terminal disconnected for 30 minutes, battery showed 11.98v on multimeter, reconnected neg. terminal and suddenly all systems go! HV SOC was 72, but connected to Rolec and fully charged hoping to sort out 12v battery as well. All seems OK now, but wonder why 12v battery had discharged, car was last used on Friday with no problems. Nothing obvious drawing current, dashcam has auto shutoff, no lights etc left on.
Will hope for normal service to be resumed. Spoke to local agent in Oxford who couldn't look at it for a fortnight, they suggested calling the AA,

I don't think MG have much faith in their 12 v batteries hence they are only covered for 12 months on the warranty.

Surely it's a failure in the intelligent charging system if the 12v battery drains. This has been much discussed. Thankfully it works perfectly on my car but it appears not to kick in on some cars. In theory, no matter how poor the 12v battery is the HV battery should keep it topped up. On mine it never goes below 12.3v.

If I have understod it right that's when one have turned off auto lights and forget to turn of the lights when leaving the car after shuting it down. Then it eventually will empty the 12v.
That's how you put the parking lights on, switch the lights on manually then turn off the car.
No different to any other car's parking lights but being all LED they will drain the 12v slowly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back