Dealer unaware of MG ZS EV updates

I'm not sure about MG UK's VIN number format, but by comparing it to other manufacturers, the 9th character could be the month, and the 10th sates the year of production (some letters like I are skipped to avoid confusion with digits).
It seems that your MG's VIN is similar format to Chevrolet.

So FL = June, 2020
Make sense?

source:
Mine's FK, June 2021 ?? :unsure:

Mine's FK, June 2021 ?? :unsure:
No, Its 2019.
For some reason the link I attached doesn't bring you to the specific page, so here is a screenshot.
I remind you that some letters are not in use in the VIN year coding. as to not confuse with certain numbers.
Screenshot_20201112-173022_Chrome.jpg

No, Its 2019.
For some reason the link I attached doesn't bring you to the specific page, so here is a screenshot.
I remind you that some letters are not in use in the VIN year coding. as to not confuse with certain numbers.
View attachment 816
Just to make sure: can others with different VIN numbers approve that this makes sense to them?
After all we don't know how MG UK actually code the production date into the VIN, but to me the date coding looked similar to the Chevrolet coding as above.
I don't have a ZS yet to confirm.

Mine (that I picked up new in September 2020) is FK as well which would indicate June 2019 on the system above, which would mean it had been sat around in storage quite some time. I know it was available from stock from Chroleys depot but I doubt the car had been holed up that long, especially as they didn't start delivering them till October 2019.

Mine (that I picked up new in September 2020) is FK as well which would indicate June 2019 on the system above, which would mean it had been sat around in storage quite some time. I know it was available from stock from Chroleys depot but I doubt the car had been holed up that long, especially as they didn't start delivering them till October 2019.
Well, the VIN format doesn't match / make sense for any of the other formats mentioned on that site.
Most of the formats state that the 10th character is the year, so I'm pretty sure that yours is a 2019 manufacturer year. About the month I'm not so sure...

Picked mine up on 26th September 2020 from Perry's Preston a new MG Dealer just come on line and my VIN shows FL. So as previously mentioned, this is June 2020 if we are to go off the above code, but I doubt it was shipped from China in that short time frame. Even so, the updates took effect from end of June 2020, so confirms my car hasn't had all of them.

Picked mine up on 26th September 2020 from Perry's Preston a new MG Dealer just come on line and my VIN shows FL. So as previously mentioned, this is June 2020 if we are to go off the above code, but I doubt it was shipped from China in that short time frame. Even so, the updates took effect from end of June 2020, so confirms my car hasn't had all of them.
We can definitely scrub the idea that our VIN codes follow the Chevrolet format. Mine arrived in the country the week before lockdown and I eventually took delivery on 2nd June 2020. My code is FL too.

We can definitely scrub the idea that our VIN codes follow the Chevrolet format. Mine arrived in the country the week before lockdown and I eventually took delivery on 2nd June 2020. My code is FL too.
Well then, maybe MG didn't code the date into the VIN, it seems like they encrypted it o_O
If you guys don't mind posting you full VINs here, maybe I could find a pattern and decode (decrypt) them. All we need to find is which character represents the month.
One interesting thing I noticed, is that the MG UK VIN starts with "SD", which states that the manufacturer is located in the UK. Well we all know that the ZS isn't really manufactured in the UK.
A VIN of an ICE ZS that I was able to find on YouTube (probably not from the UK, as it said SAIC MOTORS instead of MG UK on the VIN tag), started with "LS", L meaning China.
In general, the first two or three letters of the VIN are supposed to state the country of manufacturing.

I have a feeling something funky is going on with MG UK (making up their own VIN), or maybe thats common practice in the UK?

I feel like Sherlock Holmes :unsure:

Last edited:
Do manufacturers still stamp date codes on parts like they used to in the 80s/90s ?
I know we don't have ashtrays now, but back then you used to be able to take the ashtray out and find a little clock symbol on the bottom with the year and month on it.

In the essence of credit where credit is due, I continue to be really pleased with Frasers of Falkirk.

I had the car in yesterday for a DCDC software update and I asked them to fit mud flaps to try and reduce the level of spray being drawn back on to the tailgate on rainy days.

Car ready ahead of time and I was phoned to say that it was ready - and they had charged up the car too!

I can't remember any garage filling up my tank when I had an ICE car serviced !! :ROFLMAO:

I suppose it all depends on how long it took to get the car from the production line to the UK really. If it only effects cars made before June 2020 that only gives 2.5 months to ship them to the UK as I picked my car up on the 26th September 2020, I remember it well, it so exciting, my first new car in over 15 years LOL!
It takes 28 to 35 days on the water from MG's China loading port to the UK. You need to add any time on land, so it's as long as a piece of string as the saying goes.

Could someone please let me know what updates there are, & I should have been are necessary. I’ve a 2019 model & not heard a word from my dealer, therefore opted to go to another which I’ve read good reviews (Horsham), but I don’t know what what updates I should be ensuring the car gets along with the comfort 2 update & it’s 1st service. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom