Decision, Decision Decision !

JKW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm into the 3rd year of a lease with a Kia EV Niro in spec 4+ trim. It's a good car but I'm seriously looking at the MG4 in Long Range Trophy spec as a replacement, again on a PCH (lease) deal. I've had 2 x test drives of the MG4, from different dealerships, one of which was a disgrace, the other exactly as I would want to be treated as a potential customer. I've researched both cars (the latest Niro EV is different to mine) including reading the many & varied comments on here and my final (!?) choice changes daily - at the moment I'm inclined towards the MG, really liking so much about it. Time is on my side and so no pressure yet, but I just need to make that final decision so I can sleep at night !! JKW ( a potential MG "owner")

Well, sounds like you are well experienced in the world of EVs' and have test driven the MG4. You have also experienced what dealers can be like.
So this pretty much comes down to cost and a decision from the heart.Which car makes you smile the most at the thought of owning it and when driving it ?

Stating the obvious but most of us on this forum would recommend the MG4. There are one or two (I'm not naming names) who have had a bad experience due to a faulty car and or bad service from their dealer. Most of the faults, apart from a couple of software glitches, have now been sorted.

As you say time is on your side so when the time comes to make a decision revisit the cars and dealers and take another test drive.

I had never driven an EV before test driving the trophy, and subsequently placing an order the same day - as the dealership had an unregistered Camden Grey Trophy in stock so turnaround was quick.

One slight regret I have is not trying a few, to see how I got on with them, although I feel the outcome would have been the same and the Trophy would still be sat on my drive.

I love the way the 4 drives, RWD, centrally balanced, plenty of go, but smooth, quiet and - efficient when you want it to be.

It’s a bit boring replacing a car with the latest version of the same model. Broaden your experiences and jump to a different brand.
I am very happy with my Trophy.

The latest Niro is so different, outside and in, that it shouldn’t feel like the same car at all.

The Niro also has pretty legendary efficiency, often reporting more than claimed range without much effort from the drivers.

At best, putting a very positive spin on this, it’s a sideways move.

I'm into the 3rd year of a lease with a Kia EV Niro in spec 4+ trim. It's a good car but I'm seriously looking at the MG4 in Long Range Trophy spec as a replacement, again on a PCH (lease) deal. I've had 2 x test drives of the MG4, from different dealerships, one of which was a disgrace, the other exactly as I would want to be treated as a potential customer. I've researched both cars (the latest Niro EV is different to mine) including reading the many & varied comments on here and my final (!?) choice changes daily - at the moment I'm inclined towards the MG, really liking so much about it. Time is on my side and so no pressure yet, but I just need to make that final decision so I can sleep at night !! JKW ( a potential MG "owner")
Go with your gut feel on which car to buy but put your time and energy into finding the best dealer you can - this is the more important thing for your ongoing ownership experience, you'll only buy it once. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold.

Stating the obvious but most of us on this forum would recommend the MG4. There are one or two (I'm not naming names) who have had a bad experience due to a faulty car and or bad service from their dealer. Most of the faults, apart from a couple of software glitches, have now been sorted.
Absolutely this. Early adopters don't necessarily have luck on their side. Had my car been delivered in the state it is in now (after all the updates), I might not even have joined this forum. The initial problems have been dealt with (in a more or less adequate manner) and the batch of early cars will get lost in the shuffle of their successors.

That said, the new Niro EV is a very good car and I'd suggest you test drive it as well.

The new Niro EV '3' was our second choice but we ended up choosing the Trophy instead. It was a tough decision.

I found the Niro to be slightly smaller both in the front and rear for the passengers but I am 6ft 5in so I can notice even the slightest difference. My wife accidently braked too hard in the Niro and my head hit the roof just in front of the windscreen.

The Niro has a much larger boot, one pedal driving and slightly more range. The '3' also gives you rear ventilation ducts.

The MG4 Trophy gives you almost twice as fast rapid charging and a 360 camera. It's not an SUV so has a lower seating position. Also, rear wheel drive and better handling.

The MG4 just gave us the best feeling overall regardless of price. I also kept thinking that if I was going to spend close to £40k then maybe we should stretch to an Ioniq 5 which was the car we really wanted.

It’s a bit boring replacing a car with the latest version of the same model. Broaden your experiences and jump to a different brand.
So you'd advocate all the MG owners on here to move to a different car come replacement time?

My view is to do what the OP appears to be doing, which is assess your needs, research the available products, take a test drive and make decision based on heart and head together. No good buying something unsuitable or unaffordable, but better to drive something that puts a smile on your face as not.

I have actually switched from MG to Tesla. The main reasons were some of the teething problems of the new cars, less than ideal service from dealership, including a long wait to replace faulty door locks (replaced under warranty, but I had to pay for the dealer to even look at the problem), and big discounts on nearly new Tesla (for cash buyers like me).

The MG4 is a good EV, and so much better than most earlier cars, but the Tesla just works. It is a more rounded and complete car in many ways, and has been improved with software updates in the short time I have owned it, Like most marques, MG don't really support vehicles after new model is released, but everyone's needs and preferences are different.

Whatever you get you can be fairly sure that even better EVs will be available in the near future

I would definitely be ordering the new model Hyundai kona, it looks really good, the interior looks great and will shame any mg, which let’s face it is really cheap and horribly dark, the Hyundai will actually have interior lights in the back🤣. The Hyundai will be much higher quality, I was really impressed by the Tuscon + mg4 owners now reporting rust around the rear window surrounds. The range and performance is better than mg. If you are paying cash don’t sink it into an mg4 as I think they will depreciate badly as more build quality problems arise. You’ll be in safe hands with a Hyundai or Kia

I would definitely be ordering the new model Hyundai kona, it looks really good, the interior looks great and will shame any mg, which let’s face it is really cheap and horribly dark, the Hyundai will actually have interior lights in the back🤣. The Hyundai will be much higher quality, I was really impressed by the Tuscon + mg4 owners now reporting rust around the rear window surrounds. The range and performance is better than mg. If you are paying cash don’t sink it into an mg4 as I think they will depreciate badly as more build quality problems arise. You’ll be in safe hands with a Hyundai or Kia
Not really a direct comparison though, the Kona is a SUV. But having owned a Hyundai Ioniq for two years I can certainly say their customer service is streets ahead of MG's. As for the rust on the MG, seems odd as the car is so new to the market, where have you read that ?

I would definitely be ordering the new model Hyundai kona, it looks really good
The Hyundai will be much higher quality, I was really impressed by the Tuscon +
mg4 owners now reporting rust around the rear window surrounds.

Please quote your source? I've not heard of this, and if so, can't see it being a problem across the board. Maybe case by case basis.
The range and performance is better than mg.
Wrong. 64kwh battery provides 245 mile estimated range. MG4 LR/Trophy is 280/271.

Performance - 0-62 in the Kona is 7.9 seconds. The 4 does it in 7.7 or less. 7.2 has been recorded a few times on YT.

Plus the Kona is FWD, the 4 is RWD, so not better either.
If you are paying cash don’t sink it into an mg4 as I think they will depreciate badly as more build quality problems arise. You’ll be in safe hands with a Hyundai or Kia
It's 37k+ OTR for the Kona. Under 30k for the 4LR. Build problems seem to be rectified with newer builds, so not sure where you're getting that from.

You like the Kona, great. You don't like the MG, also great. But state some facts instead of your opinion so people can make an informed decision, and such the forum is a nicer place for all.

The rust was in ONE post on Facebook.

As for the Hyundai Kona:
Hyundai has announced that it is recalling 853 units of the Kona EVs in the US owing to a coolant leak issue and fifteen cases of fire have been reported so far, including two in Canada. In response, Hyundai has recalled over 76,000 units globally, 4,375 of which are in Canada.
Apparently, there could be problems with the battery that cannot be detected by the battery management system. As a result, the battery could short circuit after it is fully charged.

And you thought MG had problems.

The rust was in ONE post on Facebook.

As for the Hyundai Kona:
Hyundai has announced that it is recalling 853 units of the Kona EVs in the US owing to a coolant leak issue and fifteen cases of fire have been reported so far, including two in Canada. In response, Hyundai has recalled over 76,000 units globally, 4,375 of which are in Canada.
Apparently, there could be problems with the battery that cannot be detected by the battery management system. As a result, the battery could short circuit after it is fully charged.

And you thought MG had problems.

I wonder if MG would be so proactive as to recall 76000 cars based on 15 incidents.

Please quote your source? I've not heard of this, and if so, can't see it being a problem across the board. Maybe case by case basis.

Wrong. 64kwh battery provides 245 mile estimated range. MG4 LR/Trophy is 280/271.

Performance - 0-62 in the Kona is 7.9 seconds. The 4 does it in 7.7 or less. 7.2 has been recorded a few times on YT.

Plus the Kona is FWD, the 4 is RWD, so not better either.

It's 37k+ OTR for the Kona. Under 30k for the 4LR. Build problems seem to be rectified with newer builds, so not sure where you're getting that from.

You like the Kona, great. You don't like the MG, also great. But state some facts instead of your opinion so people can make an informed decision, and such the forum is a nicer place for all.
You are quoting figures for the old Kona not the new one due at the end of this year, the new one has more hp and torque and a greater range expected to be 320 miles, so why don’t you state facts so that people can make an informed decision? Also I’m not sure that other people have the same preoccupation with performance, are you one those “experts” that drives at 10/10ths everywhere? How come you didn’t comment on the statement of a much nicer interior, actually has ambient lighting, or much better build quality and yes there is rust already! Zoom into the pic, that looks serious!
At some point you are going to have to accept that other manufacturers beat the mg4 hands down.

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 91
I don't think the MG4 is necessarily a bad car, but it is a cheap car that is currently way over-priced, just as all ev's are at present. You get what you pay for and the MG will get you to where you need to be...but will anyone stand and admire it, I very much doubt it, it's just ordinary looking, with a particularly poor paint job. If it had an engine, who the hell would buy it? Seriously, its just ordinary.

I'm being horrible again about the car! I no longer have one, so I will leave it there and not post again. I guess my experience with the car drives my comments. If I hadn't got the money back from the dealer, I was about to take 17k for a 2 week old car from WBAC. My experience was shocking with this brand, but again, apologies and if a mod can delete my account, thanks.

There are a number of people who have been sold cars with severe faults, and these people have sometimes (often?) not had great satisfaction from their dealers. But there are many others on here singing the praises of the car. And in point of fact lots of people do admire its looks. I liked its looks myself when I started sizing up what was available.

Would I have bought it if it had an ICE? No, obviously, because I wanted an EV, so that's not a sensible metric. But more importantly, the thing that sold it to me was the way it drives. I loved it. No ICE car drives like that as far as I can see.

Is it overpriced? At the moment it's a standout in terms of value for money. It's possible I might have given up on my ambition to own an EV if it hadn't been for the MG4 coming in at this price point. If the car goes on behaving the way it does and doesn't fall to bits, I certainly won't consider it overpriced. Time will tell on the last point.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back