Delay before brakes release

PeteC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm finding that my brakes don't release straight away when I lift off the brake pedal even though autohold is off and the handbrake is off. When I release the footbrake the car doesn't immediately creep. It sits still for a very short time (as though the handbrake was on) and then I hear a groan from the brake pads as the brakes start releasing and the car starts to move. It makes it more of a pain to manoeuvre in tight spaces as I'm never sure of exactly when it's going to move and, when it does, it can sometimes do so with a bit of a sudden leap.

Is this normal behaviour?

Sounds to me like Auto hold is stuck on even though it's off in the menus.

I wonder as you go from drive to reverse it puts the handbrake on and you have to wait for it to release. If the handbrake is released by using the release button do the brakes still hold for a moment before releasing?

I wonder as you go from drive to reverse it puts the handbrake on and you have to wait for it to release. If the handbrake is released by using the release button do the brakes still hold for a moment before releasing?
The brakes still hang on when the handbrake has been manually released.

Could I ask generally if other people's cars start moving the moment the brakes are released without pressing the accelerator (so just using creep), assuming that the handbrake and autohold are off? My car's going in to the dealer tomorrow for a couple of things and it would be handy to know if my brakes aren't normal.

Usually yes (and I don't think I have auto-hold enabled), but it depends on how firmly I have applied the brakes.

I think sticky calipers are going to be another ‘thing’ about the 4.
My drive is on a slope and, when the car was new, selecting R would get the car out of the drive using a combo of creep and gravity alone.
Now if just sits there and I have to apply a fair amount of throttle.
I also get a fair amount of brake binding noise in traffic when coming off the brakes.
So, yeah, I suspect sticky calipers are something a lot of us are going to experience.

I think sticky calipers are going to be another ‘thing’ about the 4.
My drive is on a slope and, when the car was new, selecting R would get the car out of the drive using a combo of creep and gravity alone.
Now if just sits there and I have to apply a fair amount of throttle.
I also get a fair amount of brake binding noise in traffic when coming off the brakes.
So, yeah, I suspect sticky calipers are something a lot of us are going to experience.
I think you might be right. I think mine used to move off more easily than it does now.

Tried giving the brakes a good workout?
Normally give mine a good stamp a few times to clear any surface rust if it’s standing for a few days

Tried giving the brakes a good workout?
Normally give mine a good stamp a few times to clear any surface rust if it’s standing for a few days

I’m talking overnight, not a few days.
Used to roll back freely, now needs throttle.
My brakes get normal use, I’m not one for using regen to bring me to a halt.

If I've been parked (i.e. pressed the Park button) then I always need to tap the throttle to get the car rolling (forwards or backwards as the case my be, after engaging the relevant gear). Surely this is by design?

(Note: I am not pressing the brake pedal then pressing the handbrake button down to release it; just doing the usual get in the car, seat belt on, press the foot brake to READY the car and engage a gear, press the throttle - gently - to release the brake and start moving).

If I've been parked (i.e. pressed the Park button) then I always need to tap the throttle to get the car rolling (forwards or backwards as the case my be, after engaging the relevant gear). Surely this is by design?

(Note: I am not pressing the brake pedal then pressing the handbrake button down to release it; just doing the usual get in the car, seat belt on, press the foot brake to READY the car and engage a gear, press the throttle - gently - to release the brake and start moving).
Yes, that's what I'd expect with the handbrake on. But mine still doesn't move straight away with the handbrake off, which I wouldn't expect. I would expect it to creep straight away when I come off the brake pedal.

I'm finding that my brakes don't release straight away when I lift off the brake pedal even though autohold is off and the handbrake is off. When I release the footbrake the car doesn't immediately creep. It sits still for a very short time (as though the handbrake was on) and then I hear a groan from the brake pads as the brakes start releasing and the car starts to move. It makes it more of a pain to manoeuvre in tight spaces as I'm never sure of exactly when it's going to move and, when it does, it can sometimes do so with a bit of a sudden leap.

Is this normal behaviour?
I think it’s probably that you are not on level ground - hill start function kicks in

I think it’s probably that you are not on level ground - hill start function kicks in
It does it on the flat too. The dealer has had the car in to check the brakes and found nothing wrong with them. They did feel the delay and found that it is less on lower regen settings so it seems it's something to do with that rather than a mechanical stickiness.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back