Delay before brakes release

I'm finding that my brakes don't release straight away when I lift off the brake pedal even though autohold is off and the handbrake is off. When I release the footbrake the car doesn't immediately creep. It sits still for a very short time (as though the handbrake was on) and then I hear a groan from the brake pads as the brakes start releasing and the car starts to move. It makes it more of a pain to manoeuvre in tight spaces as I'm never sure of exactly when it's going to move and, when it does, it can sometimes do so with a bit of a sudden leap.

Is this normal behaviour?
I had a very similar behaviour but more especially when on steep slopes either forward or reverse. What I have discovered is that in situations such as these, releasing the handbrake even if it's not theoretically on does allow the car to start a move off and be in creep mode this is particularly important if you are starting from a steep slope in reverse and relying on the throttle to release the brakes. Normally you would need to be using the brakes to release the handbrake but in the case of steep slopes like this I have found you can just use the handbrake without touching the brake. I hope that's clear and I hope it helps sort out this problem that you're experiencing.

I had a very similar behaviour but more especially when on steep slopes either forward or reverse. What I have discovered is that in situations such as these, releasing the handbrake even if it's not theoretically on does allow the car to start a move off and be in creep mode this is particularly important if you are starting from a steep slope in reverse and relying on the throttle to release the brakes. Normally you would need to be using the brakes to release the handbrake but in the case of steep slopes like this I have found you can just use the handbrake without touching the brake. I hope that's clear and I hope it helps sort out this problem that you're experiencing.
Thanks. When I release the handbrake there is still a delay before the car moves off. The delay is not consistent. When I use the footbrake to come to a standstill, if I press it very gently and then release it the car will move off straight away with no throttle. If I press the footbrake more firmly, the car will delay before moving off with no throttle. It will move off straight away after a firm stop when I use throttle, but a bit less smoothly than I'd like. I'm coming to the MG from a BMW i3 which had no creep but used to move off very smoothly, even when holding itself on a slope. I'm slowly getting used to how it is on my car and it's not a big deal, just not quite as smooth as I'd hope for. Once creeping, it's very controllable!

Thanks. When I release the handbrake there is still a delay before the car moves off. The delay is not consistent. When I use the footbrake to come to a standstill, if I press it very gently and then release it the car will move off straight away with no throttle. If I press the footbrake more firmly, the car will delay before moving off with no throttle. It will move off straight away after a firm stop when I use throttle, but a bit less smoothly than I'd like. I'm coming to the MG from a BMW i3 which had no creep but used to move off very smoothly, even when holding itself on a slope. I'm slowly getting used to how it is on my car and it's not a big deal, just not quite as smooth as I'd hope for. Once creeping, it's very controllable!
Question, you say you are releasing the handbrake? I never manually release the handbrake on my MG4, I just select drive (if not already selected) and go. Are you releasing handbrake manually, if so, for what benefit in your experience?

Question, you say you are releasing the handbrake? I never manually release the handbrake on my MG4, I just select drive (if not already selected) and go. Are you releasing handbrake manually, if so, for what benefit in your experience?
I was releasing the handbrake manually in case that was hanging on a bit and causing the initial brake drag. I was expecting that when the car had no brakes on it would start creeping straight away even with no throttle. As it makes no odds, I'm leaving the handbrake to do its own thing now!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back