Delay paying £190 car tax on EV until April 2026 (action needed before the end of March 2024)

For us that have already used this scheme then there's no concern - there's nothing they can do about it; our vehicles are legally taxed through to the relevant date (end of February 2025), so when we renew next year we'll be taxed through to end of February 2026. The chance that they'll change the effective date for the new taxation values (from 1 April '25 to, say, 1 January ;25) is remote to non-existent. :)

For us that have already used this scheme then there's no concern - there's nothing they can do about it; our vehicles are legally taxed through to the relevant date (end of February 2025), so when we renew next year we'll be taxed through to end of February 2026. The chance that they'll change the effective date for the new taxation values (from 1 April '25 to, say, 1 January ;25) is remote to non-existent. :)
I agree. The government have enough going on without closing a "loophole" that will disappear in a years time.

@MartinSEsr made a very conscious decision to change the original £180 figure last Sunday so perhaps he is the best one to comment?

I only save about 4 months worth but still worth doing

As a matter who do people think is the "the government" often referred to?

The vast majority are just civil servants and penpushers who interpret the fine minutia of the regulations drawn up by other civil servants on the basis of regulations debated by parliament. Very few in that process could be described as "rich, priveledged, money grabbing"!

When a "loophole" is discovered it can only be closed by going through the process again to make sure closing it doesn't generate even more problems.

Last edited:
The gov.uk website states "are you aware that your vehicle is not due to be taxed until XXX? However, if you have been told to tax by DVLA, please continue with the transaction". Given, I haven't been told, I am wary about doing this.

The gov.uk website states "are you aware that your vehicle is not due to be taxed until XXX? However, if you have been told to tax by DVLA, please continue with the transaction". Given, I haven't been told, I am wary about doing this.
I think this is more them cover their arse as you could end up double paying your road tax. But as we pay £0 it doesn’t bother us.

I did carry on and it allowed me to renew my tax as normal. I have verified that my tax renewal date is now 1st March 2025

I am not sure why it couldn't wait until March 2025 but I would probably forget by then, now the renewal is set for March that will carry on (unless I get a new car :cool:)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom