• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Delayed charging not working

DanishDude

Standard Member
Reaction score
It seems to me, that owners of the ZS EV in the UK are able to delay charging their vehicle if their home charger has an app that supports delayed charging. Even though I have a charger that supports this, and I have recently (October 2020) got all updates installed in the car, I am still not able to delay charging. After connecting the car and charger and locking the car, if the vehicle does not sense charging is ongoing after a short while, the vehicle shuts down and will not allow charging at a later stage. Am I missing something, or do UK vehicles have different software from Danish ones? I have included an image of my system info below, if that helps.

ZS EV system info.jpg

Best regards, Christian

It seems to me, that owners of the ZS EV in the UK are able to delay charging their vehicle if their home charger has an app that supports delayed charging. Even though I have a charger that supports this, and I have recently (October 2020) got all updates installed in the car, I am still not able to delay charging. After connecting the car and charger and locking the car, if the vehicle does not sense charging is ongoing after a short while, the vehicle shuts down and will not allow charging at a later stage. Am I missing something, or do UK vehicles have different software from Danish ones? I have included an image of my system info below, if that helps.

View attachment 705

Best regards, Christian
Hello Christian,

There are other threads on here on the same topic. I have just posted this reply there.

I have further 'news', I contacted my local dealer and again pressed the point of no timer charging on my ZS ev.

They have investigated their system and insist that all the updates that may relate to charging have been done back in July (when the Bongs were done), I asked about the BMS update that was mentioned on forums that came out in August and was told that this is a 'service item' and was not urgent and would be done with my next service. If I wanted this done they would book me in and do it for me, (no cost).
I then asked about the update that allows charging with the doors unlocked, that brought a fresh response, they would now offer the August BMS update and at the same time do a VDS report on the whole vehicle and send it to MG who would then approve, or not, the release of a different update that would cure my charging problem. This update would cost ME half hour of billable time.

I get the impression that something is known higher up the chain that we are not privy to. Why should it cost me for a 'BUG' fix to put the car into the condition that it should have been in when new?

I contacted Rolec and they said that 'we have identified a bug with the trickle charging functionality. Our Tech Team is currently investigating the root cause of the issue and we hope to have it resolved soon. in the meantime I would suggest you charge the car in standard mode'

I'm scheduled to have a Rolec charge point fitted on Tuesday 20th Oct. I want to use the delayed charge so I can use cheaper off peak electricity. Sounds like there is a problem. I got my ZS on Sep 21st with comfort 2 installed. Should I cancel/postpone the install?

Rolec installed in August and delayed charge working here. Trickle (1500W) has been disabled. A vehicle module updates from early august was needed. This was applied FOC because it is a service action.

I'm scheduled to have a Rolec charge point fitted on Tuesday 20th Oct. I want to use the delayed charge so I can use cheaper off peak electricity. Sounds like there is a problem. I got my ZS on Sep 21st with comfort 2 installed. Should I cancel/postpone the install?
Postponing the install could possibly mean you lose out on the charger grant if left too long, also how will you know if you have a problem without it?

Rolec installed in August and delayed charge working here. Trickle (1500W) has been disabled. A vehicle module updates from early august was needed. This was applied FOC because it is a service action.
Hi Skippy, do you know any module numbers or detail so that I can show it to my dealer? I am not confident that they even really know.

Hi Skippy, do you know any module numbers or detail so that I can show it to my dealer? I am not confident that they even really know.
I had mine updated last Friday, I'm pretty sure the start of August update is SA0017, Unfortunately the dealer didn't make a list of any updates they had completed, however they did re-apply all of them for me, just to make sure they were done, as my other (Main) dealer had no clue.

I had mine updated last Friday, I'm pretty sure the start of August update is SA0017, Unfortunately the dealer didn't make a list of any updates they had completed, however they did re-apply all of them for me, just to make sure they were done, as my other (Main) dealer had no clue.
Hi Septian, I don't expect you to name names but where is your reliable dealer and where is your other main dealer?

Not a problem, Main dealer was AE Wilcox in Wickwar, I'm not saying they are "bad" they are actually really lovely, but they seem to be one of these places that hasn't kept up with the times so use of a computer to update a car seems VERY new to them.
The better dealer was Thompson First LTD in Stroud, the whole experience was different, more modern building and they apparently have one guy who does all the EV's so he knows his stuff. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom