Detailed servicing schedule.... anyone ?

Macadoodle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I think it's due for service every 15k / yearly but wondered if anyone found info on exactly what nonsense MG will insist on to keep the warranty sweet ?
My dealership wouldn't budge on chucking in a couple of free ones because the cars are selling like the proverbial warm cakes, so they felt they really didn't have to. At least they were honest I guess.
I'll probably get them to do the first year one but after that I have a trusted local independent who will probably get the work.

I have a 14 plate leaf with 124000 miles on it ( ex taxi bought at 90k miles) and it has needed practically nothing.
'Serviced' it myself over the last four years. Strip and lube the brakes after a scottish highlands winter, check the tyres for nails and cuts, jetwash the accumulated salt from the underside, there's not much else to do :unsure:

As for actual repairs / MOT prep, I've replaced 2 droplinks and the rear discs and pads due to corrosion rather than wear, the motor coolant and brake fluid are original, I should probably drain them but I can't be bothered 😋 I did change the reduction gear oil shortly after we bought it , it looked naaasty 😯

Point is, EV's are more like appliances in their servicing requirements, very little preventative maintenance needed in my experience, but of course the dealerships have bills to pay and the transition ain't going to be easy for them.

I haven't seen the MG4 schedule yet but you can be pretty certain it will be similar to the ones published for the ZSEV and MG5.

Can an independent do software updates or odm readings as part of the service. I am wondering if this new age of software "kinda" handcuffs you to a an MG dealership? Just a thought....

Alan

Not disagreeing just asking the question. Where do the independents get MG latest software updates for example...if they brick it what then? Does it nullify warranty unless its an accredited independent?

Just a good to know for options going forward

Alan

Can an independent do software updates or odm readings as part of the service. I am wondering if this new age of software "kinda" handcuffs you to a an MG dealership? Just a thought....

Alan
I would imagine updates will necessitate a visit to an MG dealer which I'm fine with to be honest.
Hoping remembering driving settings will be enabled some time soon.

It's the check this check that, top up screenwash , and give it a quick wash = £199 bollox that grinds my gears.
They certainly can't prevent you from using an independent as long as they use approved parts, not sure what the legal angle is re the full 7 year warranty though.
Its much longer than they're obliged to give you so their loyalty to you may be in proportion to how much business you've given them, scary.

As the philosopher Clint Eastwood said.... you feel lucky... punk.

I think it's due for service every 15k / yearly but wondered if anyone found info on exactly what nonsense MG will insist on to keep the warranty sweet ?
My dealership wouldn't budge on chucking in a couple of free ones because the cars are selling like the proverbial warm cakes, so they felt they really didn't have to. At least they were honest I guess.
I'll probably get them to do the first year one but after that I have a trusted local independent who will probably get the work.

I have a 14 plate leaf with 124000 miles on it ( ex taxi bought at 90k miles) and it has needed practically nothing.
'Serviced' it myself over the last four years. Strip and lube the brakes after a scottish highlands winter, check the tyres for nails and cuts, jetwash the accumulated salt from the underside, there's not much else to do :unsure:

As for actual repairs / MOT prep, I've replaced 2 droplinks and the rear discs and pads due to corrosion rather than wear, the motor coolant and brake fluid are original, I should probably drain them but I can't be bothered 😋 I did change the reduction gear oil shortly after we bought it , it looked naaasty 😯

Point is, EV's are more like appliances in their servicing requirements, very little preventative maintenance needed in my experience, but of course the dealerships have bills to pay and the transition ain't going to be easy for them.
Are you honest saying that the brake fluid hasn't been renewed for 8 years, or have I misread your post?

Just looking at the warranty cover for all MG cars from 2019 onwards, not a mention of anything that's actually covered for 7 years on any model :unsure:
The only specific EV part mentioned is the charging port, guaranteed for 1 year only.

Suspension parts and wheel bearings - 3 years.

My main horror scenario would be a failure of the motor or reduction box, the on board charger, the inverter, and any of the many electronic modules that are no doubt all over the car.
As these items require no maintenance and no doubt the reduction box is 'sealed for life' ( we'll ignore the irony of that ) so really, failure of the scary bits should be covered regardless.

Nice in theory at least :sneaky:

Are you honest saying that the brake fluid hasn't been renewed for 8 years, or have I misread your post?
Good lord yes, I've never done it. I think I noticed claim of a change on the service records the taxi owner gave to me, and that's probably true as the maintenance for taxis is understandably strict.
I've tested the moisture levels and they're within spec so why would I ;)

Just looking at the warranty cover for all MG cars from 2019 onwards, not a mention of anything that's actually covered for 7 years on any model :unsure:
It's worded in a rather convoluted way.
If you read the whole document, it effectively says everything is cover for 84 months with the exception of specific items as listed and detailed.

Just to chuck something else in...body paintwork....is that part of the yearly check as noted in the service history....again just asking anyone with MG service experience?

Alan

How long is the bodywork covered and does it need to be at an official MG dealership for the service record to keep the warranty going I wonder?

Alan
Yes I think you have to bring your car to an MG dealer yearly to keep the perforation guarantee valid, similar to most manufacturers TBH.
On that subject, I wonder if the 4 has been made with properly galvanized steel ? There was a bit of excitement on that subject with the ZS if I recall correctly, not sure what the conclusion was on that model either :unsure:

Good lord yes, I've never done it. I think I noticed claim of a change on the service records the taxi owner gave to me, and that's probably true as the maintenance for taxis is understandably strict.
I've tested the moisture levels and they're within spec so why would I ;)
Why wouldn't you, if the manufacturers say renew every 2years or 24,000 miles? Or do you know something they don't??

Brake fluid is hygroscopic ... that's the only thing (I'm aware of) which will affect how it compresses (which is the important bit for braking). If the water content is within specification then changing it is perhaps not necessary - except that the drain and refill may help to clear any gubbins that may have got into the system. :)

Water is also incompressible, but is prone to boiling and causing corrosion in the often unprotected components such as caliper pistons.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if it's within specification then there isn't much of it - so those things you mention won't be a factor, surely?

Last edited by a moderator:
But if it's within specification then there isn't much of it - so those things you mention won't be a factor, surely?
Yup, tested with a resistance gadget before I parked it up some 18 months ago, still in the ok zone.
Lives in the weeds down the side of the garage now as wife got a company car.

Anyone want to buy a high mileage leaf acenta ? Kept the battery at around 35 % throughout the idle period, drives perfectly but range is down to around 50 miles, 2 lost bars on SOH.

Much cheaper than an MG 4 :cool:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel