Detailed servicing schedule.... anyone ?

In theory, you can take your new MG anywhere to get it serviced, provided they follow the manufacturer's service schedule and use OEM parts. You could even do it yourself (which is realistic with EVs needing mainly inspection).

But, in practice this only applies to a new car warranty, not any extended or other warranty and if you have bought on finance (as most do), it may well require you to take it to MG in your finance T&Cs, in order to get your MGFV.

And, also in practice, you are probably not going to have whatever expensive proprietary equipment is required to do things like software updates.

And, then if there's a problem, the onus will be on YOU to prove that your independent servicing met MG's standard and did not cause the issue.

So, probably better to just use the dealer. If you can afford a new car, you can probably afford the (admittedly overpriced) servicing.

Hi all.

After some pestering my dealer (of an as yet undelivered car) has sent me the service schedule he has for their demo car.

This only includes intervals and costs, rather than being itemized. But it's a start!

There is a clearly a typo somewhere here because one column says 10000mile intervals and other says 15000. I shall query this

"4Electric 15k/1 year Service 10000miles ÂŁ97.73
4 Electric 30k/2 year Service 20000miles ÂŁ179.08
4 Electric 45k/3 year Service 30000miles ÂŁ97.73"

Crucially, the dealer also confirmed to me that going to a third party for servicing does not void the warranty. But that third party would have to use MG parts.

So, probably better to just use the dealer. If you can afford a new car, you can probably afford the (admittedly overpriced) servicing.
It's a gamble. Major components failing on an EV can be ruinously expensive and I've no doubt a full dealer service history will make it much more difficult for MG to weasel out of a major warranty claim.
I guess you could look at the yearly cost as a peace of mind warranty guarantee payment, a sort of soft protection racket - with some mickey mouse maintenance work thrown in.

Last edited:
The other thing to remember ... dealer servicing = continued MG Assist, yes? That in itself almost pays for the cost of a service plan.

Last edited:
I've just been looking at services for my MG4.

The 15000 / 10000 miles thing seems to be...

15,000 miles or 1 year 10,000 miles low mileage service.

Still I've not found out what they actually do. The screen shot suggests they do nothing.

I'm not keen on taking it into an MG dealer as I'm worried they'll update the software and my lane keep assist will start turning on every time. Currently it stays off and I've heard this driving people crazy. Also, being without it for a day is a pain. I think I can get to most of the on board diagnostics using the Obd scanner I've got.

Does anyone know if they'll do anything apart from try to update the software and kick the tyres?

Andy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_113446_Opera Touch.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_113446_Opera Touch.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 65
You're not far off I suspect but you'll lose the warranty and also the MG assistance if you don't get it serviced. You could try asking them not to do any updates but I'm not sure they will do that.

Mine is going in on Friday and like you my LKA stays off, so hopefully it won't be affected.

You're not far off I suspect but you'll lose the warranty and also the MG assistance if you don't get it serviced. You could try asking them not to do any updates but I'm not sure they will do that.

Mine is going in on Friday and like you my LKA stays off, so hopefully it won't be affected.
Tight Git, can you ask for a detailed list of what they did/do on the service? Would be helpful to have a breakdown.

Does anyone know if they'll do anything apart from try to update the software and kick the tyres?
I've not seen a service manual yet, but it should include:
  • Visual inspection of the vehicle, including bodywork (for anti-corrosion warranty).
  • Checks on suspension, brakes, tyres, wiper blades.
  • Top up fluids as needed.
  • Check car for codes, via ODB.
  • Car module and infotainment updates (to latest MG versions).
  • Filter/oil/brake fluid changes when applicable (probably none for first service).
  • Renewal of AA cover.
And if you are lucky, a wash.

Also, there will be various service bulletins that involve either software updates or minor part changes.

Tight Git, can you ask for a detailed list of what they did/do on the service? Would be helpful to have a breakdown.
Will do, although I suspect they won't want to tell me or possibly won't be able to.

I'm going to ask them not to update the infotainment as I'm on R13 and have the outside temperature display and no issues that need sorting on the infotainment.

I always tell dealers NOT to wash my cars. Have you seen the washing processes used by some dealerships!

A quick interior cleanup on the other hand ..
I wouldn't want them to touch the interior either. A quick vacuum followed by a copious spray of silicon polish making the surfaces very shiny and sticky including the steering wheel which makes it difficult to grip especially if your hands are wet because you've jumped in the car and it's raining also covering the windscreen with overspray which you don't realise until driving into the sun or at night with oncoming headlights and all you can see is glare......
....and breathe

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums