Diagnostic check charge at Perry's

richlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Trying to book the MG4 into Perry's Aylesbury to have the restricted power problem looked at. They're telling me there is a potential charge of £168 an hour to do diagnostic checks. This may not have to be paid if the resulting issue is under warranty, though would need to be paid otherwise. Is this fairly standard? I'm mildly concerned that they may try to wriggle out of this being a warranty issue and force payment for the diagnostic check (which they have to do) and any ensuing work

Trying to book the MG4 into Perry's Aylesbury to have the restricted power problem looked at. They're telling me there is a potential charge of £168 an hour to do diagnostic checks. This may not have to be paid if the resulting issue is under warranty, though would need to be paid otherwise. Is this fairly standard? I'm mildly concerned that they may try to wriggle out of this being a warranty issue and force payment for the diagnostic check (which they have to do) and any ensuing work
Surely the cars not fit for purpose, warranty problem 🤔 end of !!!

It’s not a great response is it? Most dealers now add this into the mix to protect them in case the issue is not covered - I’ve had this a few times on other makes of car.
With a car that is as young as yours and with clearly a warranty problem I think it’s over the top. What’s also irritating is that I bet the dealer has no idea how to diagnose other than plugging in their machine. They will then tell you they need to wait for China to tell them what to do!

Having the most shocking experience with Perry's: been on a call for over 50 minutes (now on hold, again), been passed from department to department 6 times, repeated my name, reg, issues etc several times, and still haven't managed to speak with servicing or get my car booked in. Now speaking to somebody in bookings who is not trained to book MGs in (!!!?) and telling me that she'll have to arrange a callback from somebody qualified which can take 24-48 hours. What a joke.

EDIT: just finished the call, took 3 call attempts, 55 minute call, and the car is still not booked in. Still have not managed to speak with service about the power issue, who will call back, though that will be 24 -48 hours 🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
I think this is becoming standard across the industry but IMO 168/h is a stupidly high price. Thats much more than Audi proposed when ours went in for warranty check.
Might be worth trying one of the other dealers

Last edited:
The hourly rate looks even more laughable when you look at the skill level and competency involved! Not to mention the apauling customer service!

Does anybody know if the 30 days Consumer Rights Act runs out if you've reported the issue even though the car can't be seen within the 30-day period (because there's not an appointment soon enough)? Or can it be 'extended' because the fault has been reported?

Last edited:
Once you've reported an issue, IF that was reported within the first 30 days then the 30 day clock stops ticking.

If you wish to reject per your Initial/Short Term Right To Reject then the seller can require the consumer to prove that the fault exists (rather than them having to prove that it doesn't), so the burden of proof lies with the consumer up to the 30 days, and after 6 months - the burden of proof lies with the seller between 30 days and 6 months.

Once you've reported an issue, IF that was reported within the first 30 days then the 30 day clock stops ticking.

If you wish to reject per your Initial/Short Term Right To Reject then the seller can require the consumer to prove that the fault exists (rather than them having to prove that it doesn't), so the burden of proof lies with the consumer up to the 30 days, and after 6 months - the burden of proof lies with the seller between 30 days and 6 months.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if it has to be reported to a specific party? I seem to have a few involved:

• Tusker (salary sacrifice lease company)
  • Perry's Preston (collection dealer)
  • Perry's Aylesbury (closest Perry's MG dealer)
  • Glyn Hopkins MG Milton Keynes (closest MG dealer)

it's been reported to Glyn Hopkins and Perry's Aylesbury. Going to contact Tusker now (under the advice of Perry's Aylesbury). Hopefully, that should be bases covered in terms of reporting.

Perry's Aylesbury booked it for next Thursday with a courtesy car (daily charge!). I then told them about the Android Auto issue, they said 'Oh we won't have time to look at that as well, the next nearest slot to look at both will be mid-June'!! Was a little exasperated by the end of the hour call, and literally no closer to resolving the issue or booking an appointment.

Is your car bought or PCP?
If PCP you’ll be dealing with Santander and there’s precedent for rejection of the car with this issue ( IE…me! )
Take videos of the issue, they helped my case immensely.

BTW £168 is ridiculous.
That’s what Range Rover Aberdeen charge for goodness sake.
It’s especially worrying in your case as there will be no faults displayed, I know it.
This is where videos are crucial.
There’s few nicer feelings than showing a dealer proof of an issue there beloved diagnostics can’t trace.

OK, thanks. Guessing that taking a video yourself is not going to be the best idea if used as evidence, need to try and replicate it with a passenger filming!?

Is your car bought or PCP?
If PCP you’ll be dealing with Santander and there’s precedent for rejection of the car with this issue ( IE…me! )
Take videos of the issue, they helped my case immensely.

BTW £168 is ridiculous.
That’s what Range Rover Aberdeen charge for goodness sake.
It’s especially worrying in your case as there will be no faults displayed, I know it.
This is where videos are crucial.
There’s few nicer feelings than showing a dealer proof of an issue there beloved diagnostics can’t trace.
Just spoke with Tusker. They said that because they're the registered owner, the right to termination lies with them and is not my choice, and they wouldn't allow it without at least an investigation. They then said that if I chose to terminate it, I'd have to pay the termination fee to get out of the contract!? This is turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Just spoke with Tusker. They said that because they're the registered owner, the right to termination lies with them and is not my choice, and they wouldn't allow it without at least an investigation. They then said that if I chose to terminate it, I'd have to pay the termination fee to get out of the contract!? This is turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Ah the joys of lease… 😞
Well if you want any consolation, giving them the opportunity to repair it will fail.
The car will do it again.
Then that’s their ‘one opportunity’ gone and Tuskers will have to honour the law.

I’m far from an expert but even on a lease the supplier must supply a car fit for purpose or they are not fulfilling the lease contract. If the car is not you must be entitled to some recovery. Possibly a different car.

Ah the joys of lease… 😞
Well if you want any consolation, giving them the opportunity to repair it will fail.
The car will do it again.
Then that’s their ‘one opportunity’ gone and Tuskers will have to honour the law.
Following this part of the conversation, they said I'll need to report it to the HR department of my employer, as it's a salary sacrifice car, and convince them of the need to cancel. Then, only if my employer agrees, the HR department would have to liaise with Tusker. It's getting complicated

I would try a different dealer - perhaps someone can recommend one in your area that has given good customer service in the past. The problems you have already had getting an appointment tell me you should steer clear of them.

A good dealer won't ask for payment for an inspection on something that is a clearly a difficult-to-reproduce fault. A video would help a lot, yes safer to get a passenger to record the behaviour.

Might also be worth finding a dealer that has seen the fault before, if any of them has near you. Very little to lose (other than your time) phoning around to see what different dealers say.

Following this part of the conversation, they said I'll need to report it to the HR department of my employer, as it's a salary sacrifice car, and convince them of the need to cancel. Then, only if my employer agrees, the HR department would have to liaise with Tusker. It's getting complicated
Think Tusker trying to shaft you there mate.
Believe me, they know about MG4 and its issues. They may have a script they're following so ask to speak to the very top level of management you can speak to.
They will also have a company account manager ie someone that acts on behalf of Tusker that's directly responsible for your organisation's account.
And also like cocijo said being a lease doesn't mean the law doesn't affect them. Whilst they may hold the rights to reject they most certainly cannot leave you without a car so ensure you've reported to them the car is faulty, not fit for purpose and you have no other means of transport They will have to provide you an alternate at no extra cost to you.

This makes me glad I didn’t go down salary sacrifice for my Born.
At least PCP means you have the V5 and, if all else fails, you can settle the finance and just flog the thing to WBAC/motorway/whoever.

But, as others have said, maybe he’s in a better position in that he’s effectively just renting someone else’s car.

Honestly, I’m getting MG4 PTSD just thinking about what he’s going through.

Bobs Burgers Someone GIF

This makes me glad I didn’t go down salary sacrifice for my Born.
At least PCP means you have the V5 and, if all else fails, you can settle the finance and just flog the thing to WBAC/motorway/whoever.

But, as others have said, maybe he’s in a better position in that he’s effectively just renting someone else’s car.

Honestly, I’m getting MG4 PTSD just thinking about what he’s going through.

Bobs Burgers Someone GIF
Sal sac isn't bad though I think the real benefit is if you go for a more expensive car and you're in a higher tax bracket.

I've always preferred to buy my cars used and use till dead whereas my wife's first ever car as a teenager after passing her test was a banger that traumatised her so much after it she's always went brand new pcp for her last 5 cars (in same time I've used 3 oldish cars)

However in this "new" used car market and with the EV revolution gathering pace I decided to trial EVs with the MG4. What scared me most was the uncertainty or unknown factor regarding range and long term use. Decided 10 years would be an ok time for me to feel I had gotten my money's worth but the problems with the 4 at the time drained my confidence in that happening.

I was going to go for another used after cancelling the 4 but when I worked out the cost of ownership, apart from the advantage of owning the car after CHP paid off, the sal sac for a better and newer car came out cheaper.

In this age of cars making a huge technological leap where in 2 years the equipment and safety features could be totally different, ownership model I fear may be changing from where we used to be in the past where you could buy a car and in 5 to 10 years not many differences in terms of tech advancement between the old and newer model.

Run a mile from Perry's Aylesbury. It's my local dealer and I'd never ever use them again for anything. They sold my wife a 2nd hand car which I later found out was an insurance write off, on another ocassion I took my Mondeo not bought from them in for a warranty check as the engine was rattling, the service were tied up and I was chatting to the salesman about the problem, he said check the oil level (on a week old car) and he was at a loose end and came out and we checked it together, the level was right to the mark on the dipstick. Next day the car went in for investigation and they reported as the oil level was low no warranty claim would be entertained.
In my experience they are not to he trusted

MG dealers at Beaconsfield and Hemel will get my business.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back