Did a stupid thing !

These appear to be only 10amp max - so maybe not solid enough ?????????
I have seen a quite a few that are 13amp rated remember the granny charger supplied with the car is 10 amps max anyway
Screenshot_20230306-124433.png

Sounds like a good idea, especially if you can monitor power use and it may even have a semiconductor switch.

A std. socket over here in France is 16 amp (3.6 kw). And bearing in mind it's a continuous draw I would feel more comfortable if I could find one of these doohickeys fully rated for France.

A std. socket over here in France is 16 amp (3.6 kw). And bearing in mind it's a continuous draw I would feel more comfortable if I could find one of these doohickeys fully rated for France.
Sorry I was thinking you was using the supplied granny charger

I am using the granny charger, I just want to ensure there is plenty of headroom for safety reasons.
Out of interest what the rating on the granny charger in France here in UK it's 10amps in Australia it's 8amps

I just did a quick search on Amazon.fr and it was an aftermarket one. My MG granny charger is in the boot of my car, which is still at the garage being repaired, so I couldn't check it.

Re the Granny charger output, it depends on what I end up using once my car is fixed, will it be the MG one or will it be aftermarket one from Amazon - that'll be decided by the Insurer I imagine.

Last edited:
There are still tax breaks for home installs in France...

Maybe worth shopping around...
Hi Bodgerx and thanks for the link. Up to 300€ sounds OK but I got three quotes last year from approved companies and they came out at between 1800 and 2000€ for a 7 kw/hr charger.
So it would still cost me 15-1700€ to have a quicker version of home charging ??

Why is it safer? If you're worried about the 13a plug/socket, you could always wire the granny direct to a spur.

Well I’m aware of the PEN issue as a technical risk but real problems are only some 50 per year for the UK. There is more risk than that just getting into the car, let alone driving it. I used the granny all the time for the first 2 years with no issues.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom